Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 28, 22, 9:20 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: starflyergold
Wiki Link
Unlike like Atatrk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.


Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:



Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: This lounge will be Turkish Airlines's top tier lounge, no opening date is in sight. Business Class passengers holding Elite or Elite Plus status on Miles&Smiles will be able to access this lounge. There is no information about if non-TK-*G pax traveling in TK J will be admitted to the lounge. Also, the features of the lounge remain unknown.

Arrivals Lounge: Similar to Atatrk Airport, there will also be an arrivals lounge which will be opened in a future unspecified date. However, the lounge hours and eligibility are not known yet. In Atatrk Airport, the arrivals lounge operated from 04:30 to 12:30 for arriving international Turkish Airlines Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers on arriving international Turkish Airlines flights.

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 25, 22, 2:25 am
  #1096  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: got2flyfar (YouTube)
Programs: SkyMiles Gold, TK Elite/*G, Simbad Gold, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
I am not sure what that is, perhaps you are referring to "Pide" of which they generally make 8 different varieties?
I counted 4 varieties. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are: minced meat, vegetable, cheese with grinded black olives and tuna.
MitjaPod is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 2:28 am
  #1097  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: got2flyfar (YouTube)
Programs: SkyMiles Gold, TK Elite/*G, Simbad Gold, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by Grigoris View Post
Ive read the thread however no such a case was reported.
- my wife in business class, so she can only use C lounge.
- while me (*A Gold status) and my daughter in economy, so only M&S lounge available
Any chance for human sensitivity factor to allow us to get into one lounge?
If your daughter is =<25 then she and your wife both can be your guests to the M&S Lounge.
Grigoris likes this.
MitjaPod is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 7:33 am
  #1098  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,893
In such situations you can all use the M&S lounge, there will be no issue, nor has there ever been.

Sorry, did I hear someone complain that they are serving Turkish wines in the Turkish Airlines lounge? Do you get Spanish wines at the AF lounges in France? It's not like AF lounges necessarily serve the greatest French wines...........

They do make up to 8 kinds of Pide, not necessarily always. My point had been that they were simply not serving solely "flat bread" whatever that is...

As IST says, Turks are not great on spirits, nor cocktails, I believe that it was due to generations of "Tekel" brands, that were terrible and which were comically named ................... Ever order Baileys on a TK flight, take a close look at the bottle, and it is named something like "Irish Cream Drink", it looks like Baileys, but is not Baileys.
Grigoris and ISTFlyer like this.
hfly is online now  
Old Sep 25, 22, 7:05 pm
  #1099  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ATL/MCO
Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Posts: 5,401
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
In such situations you can all use the M&S lounge, there will be no issue, nor has there ever been.

Sorry, did I hear someone complain that they are serving Turkish wines in the Turkish Airlines lounge? Do you get Spanish wines at the AF lounges in France? It's not like AF lounges necessarily serve the greatest French wines...........

They do make up to 8 kinds of Pide, not necessarily always. My point had been that they were simply not serving solely "flat bread" whatever that is...

As IST says, Turks are not great on spirits, nor cocktails, I believe that it was due to generations of "Tekel" brands, that were terrible and which were comically named ................... Ever order Baileys on a TK flight, take a close look at the bottle, and it is named something like "Irish Cream Drink", it looks like Baileys, but is not Baileys.
Exactly, I flew HEL-IST in J and had a terrible GT. 90% gin with a splash of tonic and no ice... Then, I wanted something with my coffee, turns out cognac and liqueurs have been enhanced away. On my IST-ATL they had "Baker's Field Cream" which was drinkable enough. I also don't understand how on Earth it is so difficult to get one beverage (not necessarily alcohol) before the meal and something else with the appetizer. This happened on both my longhaul and shorthaul flights. HEL-IST is a 3hr daytime flight yet they thought it would be a good idea to serve the GT on the tray itself, when I requested red wine I was looked at as if I was crazy.
miamiflyer8 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 9:31 pm
  #1100  
TPJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (Plat Pro), IHG Plat Ambassador
Posts: 7,491
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
HEL-IST is a 3hr daytime flight yet they thought it would be a good idea to serve the GT on the tray itself, when I requested red wine I was looked at as if I was crazy.
Pre-meal beverage service is not part of TK short-haul service standards.

The service is very consistent on all short-haul flights and follow the same pattern.

Looking at the BA forum and constant complains like 'I was on a Band 3 flight and there was no pre-meal bar run', maybe TK approach is just better?

PS. As per BA service standards, bar run is obligatory on Band 3/4 flights - unless F/A's forget about it. Happened to me before...
TPJ is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:10 pm
  #1101  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ATL/MCO
Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Posts: 5,401
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Pre-meal beverage service is not part of TK short-haul service standards.

The service is very consistent on all short-haul flights and follow the same pattern.

Looking at the BA forum and constant complains like 'I was on a Band 3 flight and there was no pre-meal bar run', maybe TK approach is just better?

PS. As per BA service standards, bar run is obligatory on Band 3/4 flights - unless F/A's forget about it. Happened to me before...
BA is better in that aspect, my complaint is indeed the service standard and not giving the crew a simple manual featuring instructions on common mixed drinks.
miamiflyer8 is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 3:49 am
  #1102  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SEA/ORD/ADB
Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by MitjaPod View Post
If your daughter is =<25 then she and your wife both can be your guests to the M&S Lounge.
If you strictly read the T&Cs, I think this might not be accurate - being able to guest both the daughter and wife is an Elite/Elite Plus benefit, not a Star gold benefit. OP listed their status as Star Gold, which I presume means not Turkish Elite/Elite Plus.
MitjaPod likes this.
PVDtoDEL is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 4:50 am
  #1103  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 9,006
I believe the point was that regardless of the rules for Star A Gold, there is a high chance that nobody at the desk at the IST M&S lounge will bat an eye if the OP tries to guest in wife and daughter.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 6:35 am
  #1104  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 143
How long is hot food served at the business lounge? We will arrive at 10:30pm before we travel to Bali on the 2am flight the next day. The last time I have been there at that time there was not much available, only toasts and some Pide. Most of the counters were closed. Is that still the case at that time?
Enskie is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 6:57 am
  #1105  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 9,006
Rest asssured that there will be plenty of food options available, including some hot dished. In addition you will get a meal onboard your flight after take-off.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 8:23 am
  #1106  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Posts: 9,363
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Rest asssured that there will be plenty of food options available, including some hot dished. In addition you will get a meal onboard your flight after take-off.
Don't know if it's the case anymore, but we have had flights to Asia departing like 1am or 2am and we usually took the 18:35 from CPH. We knew that as soon as we are at the lounge we needed to get all the food we wanted because they were closing at 11pm. There's a period of time there were only Baklava and cake available when they were prepping breakfast. I don't know if it's the case anymore.
nacho is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 8:42 am
  #1107  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
If you strictly read the T&Cs, I think this might not be accurate - being able to guest both the daughter and wife is an Elite/Elite Plus benefit, not a Star gold benefit. OP listed their status as Star Gold, which I presume means not Turkish Elite/Elite Plus.
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
I believe the point was that regardless of the rules for Star A Gold, there is a high chance that nobody at the desk at the IST M&S lounge will bat an eye if the OP tries to guest in wife and daughter.
Yes, exactly, I am *G, however not Turkish Elite.
This is a reason why I am not sure how many C tickets I should buy with hard earned miles to enjoy a lounge. None, one or two or three?
In-flight C service is not important in my case. However, a fast track for all would be much more appreciated.
Grigoris is online now  
Old Sep 26, 22, 8:48 am
  #1108  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 9,006
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Don't know if it's the case anymore, but we have had flights to Asia departing like 1am or 2am and we usually took the 18:35 from CPH. We knew that as soon as we are at the lounge we needed to get all the food we wanted because they were closing at 11pm. There's a period of time there were only Baklava and cake available when they were prepping breakfast. I don't know if it's the case anymore.
Bur Sir, TK1786 from CPH gets in much later than 22:30...
SK AAR is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 9:39 am
  #1109  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Posts: 9,363
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Bur Sir, TK1786 from CPH gets in much later than 22:30...
Yeah you are right! My upcoming 1786 leaves at 18.05 and arrives at 23.15. It might be that I forgot to set my watch

I'll check about the food offerings during midnight in a few weeks time.
nacho is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 9:43 am
  #1110  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 9,006
I will be on TK1786 arriving IST at 23:10 in 2 weeks time (and departing from IST at 1AM) so I will have a look and report back if I remember it.

I will most likely use the TK Business lounge as I have better experience with that lounge from previous IST transfers this year; less crowded.
SK AAR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread