Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatrk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
As an Elite member can I enter with one family member to the M&S Lounge in IST or with several (under 25)? The wording on the TK website is not clear.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
As an Elite member can I enter with one family member to the M&S Lounge in IST or with several (under 25)? The wording on the TK website is not clear.
This was previously asked and there is an issue with the English translation for that question.
As a TK Elite, it's one guest ( anyone ) or unlimited number of family members ( limited to husband/wife + children under 25 ).
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IST. they seem to also regularly allow Turkish parents/grandparents as well as family members, from what I have seen many times, although this is not a written rule.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
IST. they seem to also regularly allow Turkish parents/grandparents as well as family members, from what I have seen many times, although this is not a written rule.
Exactly, the lounge staff would do goodwill gestures but I would certainly not rely on it.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
This was previously asked and there is an issue with the English translation for that question.
As a TK Elite, it's one guest ( anyone ) or unlimited number of family members ( limited to husband/wife + children under 25 ).
Thanks; perhaps you could also update the wiki since from there it seems that only Elite Plus are entitled for that.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Is there a luggage storage facility either in the lounge or the general airport?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, there are lockers at the lounge (free) for short time storage (whilst in the lounge)

I'm confident that you will also be able to find storage facilities (for pay) in the arrival hall but admittedly no first hand experience.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yes, there are lockers at the lounge (free) for short time storage (whilst in the lounge)

I'm confident that you will also be able to find storage facilities (for pay) in the arrival hall but admittedly no first hand experience.
I'm asking because we have a 10hr layover and would like to go into the city without dragging our carry-ons along with us. I guess they wouldn't let us leave those in the lounge lockers while we explore if they're only for "short-term" storage?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm asking because we have a 10hr layover and would like to go into the city without dragging our carry-ons along with us. I guess they wouldn't let us leave those in the lounge lockers while we explore if they're only for "short-term" storage?
If you can reach the lounge upon arrival in IST using the connection/transfer paths, then you can leave the luggage in the lounge and no one will stop you. There are self serve lockers in the lounge.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MitjaPod
If you can reach the lounge upon arrival in IST using the connection/transfer paths, then you can leave the luggage in the lounge and no one will stop you. There are self serve lockers in the lounge.
Sweeeeet, thanks! Was worried there'd be an actual time limit on it or so. Plan is to go to the lounge to take a shower, then head into the city for a few hours.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Sweeeeet, thanks! Was worried there'd be an actual time limit on it or so...
Some airports (e.g. AUH) implemented pax tracking for those leaving their bags in the lounge. The moment that person goes through passport control, their bag goes into a bomb disposal. I got those details from the lounge manager.
In IST nobody records whose bag is left in each locker. However, the entire lounge is under CCTV observation. If they should feel that a bag might be abandoned, they can easily identify the owner. But AFAIK the bag owner is not required to always be inside the airport while their bag is in the lounge.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Some airports (e.g. AUH) implemented pax tracking for those leaving their bags in the lounge. The moment that person goes through passport control, their bag goes into a bomb disposal. I got those details from the lounge manager.
In IST nobody records whose bag is left in each locker. However, the entire lounge is under CCTV observation. If they should feel that a bag might be abandoned, they can easily identify the owner. But AFAIK the bag owner is not required to always be inside the airport while their bag is in the lounge.
To be correct, those lockers in the lounge are for people to store their valuables while they are enjoying the lounge.
TK not caring about identifying whose bag is whose or not caring about people leaving their belongings while they leave to the city is their own problem which is the case.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the spirits situation? Still none?
starflyergold likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:26 am
SCS

Originally Posted by hugolover
What's the spirits situation? Still none?
None as of a week ago.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
Originally Posted by SCS
None as of a week ago.
It makes no sense. I understand the logic behind a dry lounge or a dry flight (though exremely unpleasant) but having decent wines and ok
beer but no liquor makes absolutely no sense. Same thinh up in the air as well, just flew Y to CPT and only options were wine and beer. They should at least allow passengers to purchase like the US
TPACjv likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.