Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I am in the business lounge now. I managed to get a shower within 30 minutes, which must be an improvement for 0800. The shower rooms are very similar to before, but with the addition of exposed mains wiring near the mirror (maybe for a fixed hair dryer) and conditioner in the shampoo bottle. But still, it was a shower. Food is pretty good, there has been a good supply of fresh orange juice too.

Once you get over the 'I liked the old lounge better' feeling, it is pretty good. No problem with finding seating anywhere at what is a busy time.
htb, SFOTraveler1984 and gr8pirate like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:26 am

THY Domestic Lounge is a clear improvement to the previous domestic lounge in Atatürk. Feels much more similar to Atatürk international lounge

improvements:
1. Bigger lounge hall, spacier due to the high ceiling.
2. leather sofas (same Atatürk international lounge i think) + tables
3. 2 dedicated conference rooms (glas wall, door that can be closed), Table for 6 people, projection TV with digital connection for notebooks (various HDMI, DP, connectors in the table).
4. Better WC area
5. Non alcoholic drink choices now same as in Atatürk international lounge (same coolers); no alcoholic drinks as far as I could see
Food with a bit more quality, but not much more choices
6. Salad bar similar to Atatürk international lounge, one daily soup, one desert (cake), hot tea options, various simit choices
7. MAC PC (approx. 10)
8. No flight annoucements
9. Wall with multiple TV (same as IST Atatürk)

Direct VIP buses to plane as before. Free Wifi code machine (one code per plane ticket)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Anyone seen a link to the IGA Lounge? Or better still first hand experience. Trying to find out if it worth €59 - which is quite steep for lounge access in my view, unless of course it's a very nice lounge with rest area, showers, good eats and quality wine!

All input appreciated

Grantosol
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honestly there are few lines on earth worth 59 Euros, and the ones that are worth it so not accept payment.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Grantosol
Anyone seen a link to the IGA Lounge? Or better still first hand experience. Trying to find out if it worth €59 - which is quite steep for lounge access in my view, unless of course it's a very nice lounge with rest area, showers, good eats and quality wine!

All input appreciated

Grantosol
Definitely better than the Millennium Lounge in Atatürk but similar to the Primeclass and the Comfort Lounge's. So nothing special, it's a regular contract lounge.

Originally Posted by hfly
Honestly there are few lines on earth worth 59 Euros, and the ones that are worth it so not accept payment.
hfly is right, the lounge wouldn't be worth €59, the only lounge that accepts payment and worth more than €59 could be the QR Al Safwa Lounge in Doha which I prefer not to pay the high amount which was around $100 when they last offered me.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
I am in the business lounge now. I managed to get a shower within 30 minutes, which must be an improvement for 0800. The shower rooms are very similar to before, but with the addition of exposed mains wiring near the mirror (maybe for a fixed hair dryer) and conditioner in the shampoo bottle. But still, it was a shower. Food is pretty good, there has been a good supply of fresh orange juice too.

Once you get over the 'I liked the old lounge better' feeling, it is pretty good. No problem with finding seating anywhere at what is a busy time.
I tried getting a shower yesterday in the new business lounge around midnight: no way to get in after a good 30+ min of waiting. It's crazy because I've never had problems in other airports after 10-15min max. Note that it's my first time transferring in turkey.

Also quite a lot of people in that lounge around midnight. Quite hard to find a seat, we had to drone around for 5min until we got a seat.

Food seamed nice, only tried a couple. Again too many people lining at most stations (e.g. like 20ppl waiting for some sort of pizza, the tiny wine station was overcrowded by 10ppl around checking bottles in and out etc). A real bazaar!

​​​​​When I left around 00:40 it started to get more reasonable in terms of amounts of people but that's when the last planes take off I figure. Maybe the miles and smiles is better in terms of traffic?

Overall, as a traveler, quite disappointed by the huge, nice, but not functional lounge.

The worst part is the counter intuitive entrance. The first one people find is actually only for handicapped, had to go all around the duty free for the "big" entrance. No signs/indications at least for now.

What a strange design choice for a new airport and lounge..
dabee69 likes this.

Last edited by Duriangris; Apr 13, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:57 am

All the feedback here so far is about the business lounge. Any points of data regarding the Miles and Smiles lounge?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
All the feedback here so far is about the business lounge. Any points of data regarding the Miles and Smiles lounge?
The Business Lounge and the M&S lounge are almost identical. I might be wrong, but maybe the M&S lounge doesn't have shower rooms - I did not immediately see those.
Other than that the lounges are identical in size, food, layout.
During my two transfers so far, the M&S lounge was significantly less busy than the Business lounge.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

The Business Lounge and the M&S lounge are almost identical. I might be wrong, but maybe the M&S lounge doesn't have shower rooms - I did not immediately see those.
Other than that the lounges are identical in size, food, layout.
During my two transfers so far, the M&S lounge was significantly less busy than the Business lounge.
as far as I know it does have showers. But I didn’t think that it would be less crowded. Maybe the wait times for showers would also be shorter there?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by max_kolesne

as far as I know it does have showers. But I didn’t think that it would be less crowded. Maybe the wait times for showers would also be shorter there?
i also expected the M&S lounge to be more busy than the Business lounge - these are just my two data points during evening and lunchtime transfers.
I flew J and every time I wanted to enter the M&S lounge they wanted to send me to the Business lounge. Maybe the M&S lounge is less busy because they are actively sending J pax to the Business lounge.
max_kolesne likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:37 am

Hi folks, I will be staying at the airport for a 5 hr layover on May28. My wife, older daughter and I are flying TK Business class and I have Star Alliance Gold. Which lounge would be best to stay ?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by avrionis
Hi folks, I will be staying at the airport for a 5 hr layover on May28. My wife, older daughter and I are flying TK Business class and I have Star Alliance Gold. Which lounge would be best to stay ?
Are one of your flights longer than 9 hours?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:46 am

No. Just 5 hrs.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by avrionis
A data point is just a few posts further up.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duriangris
I've never had problems in other airports after 10-15min max.
I guess you have not been to any of KLM's lounges in AMS then.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.