Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by FFlash
Just a small rant re showers. It used to be horrible queues but I always wondered how much is it really due to demand and how much due to inefficient processes TK has regarding everything or how much finally due to dirty pax how dwell half an hour there with all makeup and oceanic water consumption etc so that another half hour is needed for cleaning.
For me, if I want luxuous shower I go to a spa. In a lounge shower, I am done in 2 minutes in and out. Just saying...
A time limit would help - I’m guilty of sometimes being extra slow.
edit: In the lounge showers, not in general...although it does happen sometimes.

Last edited by gr8pirate; Apr 11, 2019 at 10:12 am
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Grantosol
I will be arriving at IST on Wed 1 May at 0630, leaving six hours later at 1300. I am travelling TK economy and no longer have lounge status. I know I could take the free bus tour, but I would have to exit immigration and buy a visa (I have an Irish passport). I would prefer to pay for lounge access and have a rest. Is there a 'paid access' airside lounge in the new airport? All suggestions appreciated. Grantosol
You could access the IGA Lounge by paying €59 at the entrance. They are the only contract lounge that accept pay-to-entry service. No paid access to the Turkish Airlines International Lounge's similar to Atatürk Airport and Sabiha Gökçen Airport.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

A time limit would help - I’m guilty of sometimes being extra slow.
24 showers for the moment is really a disaster. Of course, there would be some shower rooms in the Exclusive Lounge but I don't think there would be more than 6 or 8 showers which won't solve the issue. I'm afraid that TK would limit the usage of showers only to connecting pax at some point like Lufthansa did it in the past ( maybe for the moment as well ) for Business Lounge's in Frankfurt. This means that passengers joining in Istanbul could not use the showers.

The current capacity is around 75-100 pax per hour and there are 500-1000 pax entering each lounge at peak hours. The biggest mistake was that TK only has a single lounge at Istanbul Airport in each concept. Even Qatar Airways would open a second Business and First Lounge ( not Al Mourjan and Al Safwa ) in the upper level of the small duty free area near the wooden Mickey after concourses D and E become fully operational. TK should have followed a path similar to Cathay Pacific in HKG or Air France in CDG; however, obviously it would cost much more less for TK to have only two large lounges ( one for each concept ) instead of 5-6 lounges spread inside the terminal.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You could access the IGA Lounge by paying €59 at the entrance. They are the only contract lounge that accept pay-to-entry service. No paid access to the Turkish Airlines International Lounge's similar to Atatürk Airport and Sabiha Gökçen Airport.
Hi! My wife will be in a similar predicament on April 15th, her flight is arriving from Moscow at 11:40pm Istanbul time. She doesn't have lounge access via credit cards/memberships but she is willing to pay. Do you know if the IGA lounge with €59 entrance fee is open 24 hours? We are hoping she can spend the night or part of the night there as her next flight is only at 1pm on the 16th. Also, for €59 fee, is there a time limit or does that amount give lounge access for 24hours?

Any answers would be much appreciated as we made a mistake when booking this flight and didn't notice that the return leg would be through the new Istanbul airport and not Ataturk and now are kind of stuck... there is the option of paying for the Yotel but that is quite pricey and we would like to avoid that if possible.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldportblue
Hi! My wife will be in a similar predicament on April 15th, her flight is arriving from Moscow at 11:40pm Istanbul time. She doesn't have lounge access via credit cards/memberships but she is willing to pay. Do you know if the IGA lounge with €59 entrance fee is open 24 hours? We are hoping she can spend the night or part of the night there as her next flight is only at 1pm on the 16th. Also, for €59 fee, is there a time limit or does that amount give lounge access for 24hours?

Any answers would be much appreciated as we made a mistake when booking this flight and didn't notice that the return leg would be through the new Istanbul airport and not Ataturk and now are kind of stuck... there is the option of paying for the Yotel but that is quite pricey and we would like to avoid that if possible.
The IGA Lounge is open 24 hours so she could spend the night over there. I don't think there is a time limit for now. There is no information of a time limit nor a price limit for extra hours in the lounge, a passenger should be able to stay in the lounge as longer as he/she wishes. Also as her connection is longer than 12 hours, she might be eligible for the free stopover hotel service. Check the conditions for the free hotel service here in the WIKI section of the respective stopover hotel thread. However, depending on your wife's nationality, she may need to buy an e-visa or a get a visa from the nearest Turkish embassy to enter Turkey for the free stopover hotel service.
tejasjog likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The IGA Lounge is open 24 hours so she could spend the night over there. I don't think there is a time limit for now. There is no information of a time limit nor a price limit for extra hours in the lounge, a passenger should be able to stay in the lounge as longer as he/she wishes. Also as her connection is longer than 12 hours, she might be eligible for the free stopover hotel service. Check the conditions for the free hotel service However, depending on your wife's nationality, she may need to buy an e-visa or a get a visa from the nearest Turkish embassy to enter Turkey for the free stopover hotel service.
Thank you so much for your info and help, it was very very appreciated as I couldn't seem to get any info on this anywhere. She has Russian Nationality so she wouldn't need a VISA. Thanks again, I will check if she would be eligible for free stopover hotel service.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:40 pm

At the hub of the airport, you’ll find the M&S lounge on a mezzanine on the right and the business lounge on the left. The exclusive lounge isn’t open yet, but it looks like it will be up another level, right in the middle. That physical setup/location alone looks amazing!

I was just there today. After clearing immigrations, the Business Lounge is on your right and M&S lounge is on your left. The Business Lounge’s entrance elevators are already broken, so you have to go around the duty free shop to the other entrance by Gate E-1
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:56 pm

I was just at IST today. Just to let you know it is a really long hike from the business lounge to A/B gates do leave yourself plenty of time. The elevator entrance to the business lounge is already broken. You have to continue around the duty free shop and head towards gate E1 where the escalator entrance is located. To get a wifi code, just after the entrance gates, you will see free standing kiosks on your left. Scan your boarding pass to get your wifi code. If you are not sitting at the computer station, the electrical outlets are in the floor under a metal cover. Not easy to plug in and you may need to use an adaptor, which is available at the concierge desk by the showers. The showers are ok but looks like work still needs to be done as there were exposed wire connections in the wall by the door. To me, the food is nothing to shout about. The chicken teriyaki was terrible. It served with a Chinese sweet and sour sauce and the rice was under done and still hard. Went to the bbq grill and could not eat the chicken that was served. The meatball and grill vegetables were ok. The set up may look impressive, but I did not care for the food at all.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by northsideguy

I was just there today. After clearing immigrations, the Business Lounge is on your right and M&S lounge is on your left. The Business Lounge’s entrance elevators are already broken, so you have to go around the duty free shop to the other entrance by Gate E-1
you are correct, I got them switched around.

I was under the impression that the elevators were not working yet, rather than broken.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:38 pm

you are correct, I got them switched around.

I was under the impression that the elevators were not working yet, rather than broken.

No problem. The staff by the elevators told me they were broken, I also overheard them sending a non business M&S passenger to the M&S lounge instead of directions to get into business lounge. Then this staff member directed me to the other entrance. Who know if the broken or not, but you cannot use this entrance.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
I think everybody should relax about the lounges and the showers a little. Please remember everything was incredibly rushed and done under pressure to open on time. 3 months ago people were talking about if there would be an open lounge at all.

I hope in the future constant improvements will be made and hopefully new lounges around the airport will open. If TK managed to squeeze in that amazing lounge people talked about for years at the old airport I am sure the will make us happy here. It is funny that the food and furniture at the lounge people liked so much is suddenly “old”.
headingwest likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
I don’t understand how suddenly 30 showers are not enough compared with the 12 in Ataturk?
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by manuvns
any word on the priority pass lounge on the new airport ? especially in the intl terminal ?
I contacted Priority Pass on that exact same subject this week and got a very unhelpful reply. And why would I want info on the LAX??? Weird.
I really wasn't expecting them to have their act together.

Thank you for your recent email. Priority Pass provides its members with access to an extensive portfolio of lounges around the globe.There no time line or timescale as w\to when we will be having the Istanbul Airport (IST) available.Please use the below website to find lounges we have available under our programme for Los Angeles Intl.https://www.prioritypass.com/en/lounges/usa/los-angeles-ca-lax-intl
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by tcmb99
I think everybody should relax about the lounges and the showers a little. Please remember everything was incredibly rushed and done under pressure to open on time. 3 months ago people were talking about if there would be an open lounge at all.
”.
To open on time? Opening date in October 2018, then December 2018, then March 2019 and finally opening 2019, and they are still not finish with construction. They should have delayed again until the construction was complete and the airport fully operational.

Last edited by northsideguy; Apr 13, 2019 at 3:23 am
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, actually the opening date was supposed to have been October 29th 2017!!!!! Then changed to the same date in 2018, Then the beginning of January, then the beginning of March and then April 6th. While things cosmetically look sort of ok, they are not, and there are tons of issues being dealt with. Nothing has fallen over yet, but there are tons of issues that are getting patched as they happen, but everyone knows that they needed another 6 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.