Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
Very OT, but ISTFlyer's signature line is very intriguing: Something would come very soon. Stay tuned.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
ISTFlyer has spread his wings to cover BA, QR and LH, among others: but I hope the something will be a TK-something.

Maybe the arrivals lounge at IST
I am not affiliated with any airline nor work/partner with any airline.
TPJ and starflyergold like this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Assistant

Flying with an assistant/companion I am in Business class and he is in coach.
He has never flown internationally before and I am a bit nervous about his welfare.
I am wondering if he can check in with me at the business desks and if he can enter the lounge with me ( paid business ticket) as I have done with other airlines.
TIA and apologies in advance if this has been addressed already
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:36 pm

Maby it is time for the Business lounge to open when you cant even find a free toilet booth in the M&S, let alone a seat.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I am not affiliated with any airline nor work/partner with any airline.

are you changing airports ?? lol
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I am wondering if he can check in with me at the business desks and if he can enter the lounge with me ( paid business ticket) as I have done with other airlines.
I don't think that checking in together will be a problem, but business class passengers are not allowed any guests in the lounge.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Amil
are you changing airports ?? lol
ESBFlyer?
Amil likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:05 pm

Going to rent a room at Yotelair for an 11 hour layover. Are we allowed to access the lounge multiple times? Like can i grab food, go rest, and then grab more food before my flight or something?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by bobu
Going to rent a room at Yotelair for an 11 hour layover. Are we allowed to access the lounge multiple times? Like can i grab food, go rest, and then grab more food before my flight or something?
Yes you could enter/exit the lounge multiple times.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 2:10 am

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes you could enter/exit the lounge multiple times.
This is true, however, the last time I did this, they needed to manually open the entrance doors even after I got the green light. So they know in a way that you are reentering.

Last edited by MitjaPod; Oct 12, 2021 at 11:53 am
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by MitjaPod
This is true, however, the last time I did this, they needed to manually open the entrance doors which even if I got a green light. So they know in a way that you are reentering.
I had the same experience when attempting to enter the lounge for a second time (we stopped in after our flight landed to store our bags before heading into the city for our long layover). It wasn't an issue but the desk attendant did seem a little puzzled and asked whether we had already entered the lounge once.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:32 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
At Ataturk Airport you could leave and re-enter multiple times - no issues. At the new airport there is definitely some sort of control - agents have ability to manually override the system, though.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:39 pm

Miles & Smiles vs AIG Lounge

During the last month I had a chance to transit IST airport twice, and spent some time in the lounges. Both times I found the M&S lounge in a truly deplorable condition. It was always very crowded - a real covid spreader site. In the past it featured comfortable white couches with rectangular cushions. Those couches are still there, but are now gray to yellow, with misshapen cushions that stank of accumulated B.O. from hundreds of bodies. Bathrooms were wet and filthy. There was usually an attendant there doing nothing. Food choices were sparse to non-existent, depending on the hour. Disposable food utencils and other litter was everywhere.

There was a reasonably new feature -- a "media room". It was kept dark and had comfortable loungers. So it was perfect for relaxing and taking a nap to low volume music. On my 2nd visit to the M&S Lounge the Media Room was no longer dark, and apparently "discovered", i.e. crowded like the rest of the place with many camping on and off the loungers. Without a single remaining clean place to rest, I fled to the general terminal -- which was much cleaner and more inviting by comparison.

There was a Priority Plus lounge nearby though (IGA), so I decided to give it a try. Compared to the chaos I just fled, this lounge looked like a heavenly oasis. It was spacious, clean, had reasonably comfortable chairs, and even some food and drinks. Objectively it was probably nothing special, just seem so by comparison.

TL;DR Avoid Miles & Smiles Lounge for the time being. Don't even approach the entrance, unless you're fully vaxxed against covid.
daisymay2 likes this.

Last edited by MaxVO; Oct 15, 2021 at 4:12 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Half of what you say is true, half, I dunno.................. Yes, these days the lounge is absolutely slammed at peak times, and yes the entire "crew" seems overwhelmed. Food wait times for prepared food are horrendous, everywhere is crowded and the staff seemingly cannot keep up with keeping the place clean. The "media room" that you reference has ALWAYS been there, it did not just appear, and is in fact very similar to the exact same type of "media room" that existed in the old airport lounge......hell it even plays the same Andrea Bocelli and other similar music. The big difference between pre and post Covid was that it did have the chairs which you mention.......during Covid they were mostly cleared from the room, and that is how it was a recently as two weeks ago, the last time I was there. My guess is that as the lounge has been slammed, they have expanded the lounge into there. TK simply needs to open the other lounge up ASAP..............this set up made sense a year ago when you could toss bowling balls through the lounge and not hit anyone, but no longer.
daisymay2 and kaspars like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:27 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by hfly
TK simply needs to open the other lounge up ASAP..............this set up made sense a year ago when you could toss bowling balls through the lounge and not hit anyone, but no longer.
Absolutely agree...

Last evening it was very crowded. We arrived at about 11 pm at D concourse - at least EU 'one stop security' works again, so we have not had to clear security. Some signs already leads to Business Lounge so I thought it is open. It is closed. At least tea glasses and coffee mugs are back in M&S Lounge. Baby steps, baby steps...
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Here are my latest findings about miles and smiles lounge in Istanbul airport from one week ago:
- many more breakfast options than one month ago;
- transition from breakfast to lunch takes place at 11am sharp;
- they dropped plastic cutlery and reintroduced metal cutlery;
- glassware is back for all drinks;
- spirits, cakes and Indian food options still didn't find a return;
- first time I saw them make gözleme again (the pancake with cheese and herbs);
- there is a lot of renovations going on;
- lounge is quite crowded;
- toilets were nicer some time ago.

My full video review is available here:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.