Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Re-qualification based on actual membership date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-qualification based on actual membership date?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by flyerby
Don’t fly on those days. It is really a blackout period for any TK status holder
I fly on those dates every year and always get the miles credited but unfortunately I haven't kept the email statements for those months to know which membership year they get credited to and thanks to the great system upgrade the system doesn't seem to have my old statements anymore.

I'll try the feedback option. Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I just had a another attempt at the online statements and I'm sure this wasn't there before, but now on each year I see a line like this:October 3, 2016Other03.10.2016 - Turkish Airlines - Miles Adjustment - 0
I guess that means 3 Oct is looking like my membership date.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by sydunipete
I just had a another attempt at the online statements and I'm sure this wasn't there before, but now on each year I see a line like this:October 3, 2016Other03.10.2016 - Turkish Airlines - Miles Adjustment - 0
I guess that means 3 Oct is looking like my membership date.
I wouldn't count on that because I have the same entry in my statement:April 3, 2018Other03.04.2018 - Turkish Airlines - Miles Adjustment - 0
However I was told that my membership date is March 4.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
I wouldn't count on that because I have the same entry in my statement:April 3, 2018Other03.04.2018 - Turkish Airlines - Miles Adjustment - 0
However I was told that my membership date is March 4.
Is it possible that they misread your date? 4/3 or 3/4?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Is it possible that they misread your date? 4/3 or 3/4?
I don't think so - if it was the case then it wouldn't be such an ordeal to get our elite status reinstated. I just found out Mr.'s account is malfunctioned too - he has more than 29k status miles within the last 12 months and his classic plus status runs out today - WTH.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: TK*G
I fly on those dates every year and always get the miles credited but unfortunately I haven't kept the email statements for those months to know which membership year they get credited to and thanks to the great system upgrade the system doesn't seem to have my old statements anymore.

I'll try the feedback option. Thanks.
This is really interesting, I looked and it seems I haven't credited any TK miles during my 3 day window. It would seem that your *G status would also lapse per TK's wording until the membership start date officially begins, but I doubt that would be the case. Curious to see if anyone else has experience with how it actually works.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by State of Trance
This is really interesting, I looked and it seems I haven't credited any TK miles during my 3 day window. It would seem that your *G status would also lapse per TK's wording until the membership start date officially begins, but I doubt that would be the case. Curious to see if anyone else has experience with how it actually works.
Last renewal date (before the IT mess of things) I did have a flight in between the date of end of membership and the renewal cut - *G benefits were given without any issue.

I don't know if that just a slow update on TK side, slow update on * side, or just luck.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
I went back through my old statements. I haven't kept every month and as bad luck would have it I don't have any for my renewal month. On my current statements I see
Elite Membership Start Date03.10.2017
Elite Membership Expire Date30.09.2019
I rang the service centre and they said my expiry date was 30 Sep and they couldn't see any other date. So I'm planning some big flights on 1 - 2 October which I want in next year for the purpose of Elite renewal (2019 - 2021). Should I book these for 3 - 4 Oct instead?
I also just checked my last statement (received November 3rd, 2018 - before the system upgrade) and it says:
Elite Plus Membership Start Date10.06.2018
Elite Plus membership Expire Date30.06.2020
That actually makes sense... if one does not requalify for Elite Plus, the Elite Plus status ends and the end of a month.

But a start/expiry date as quoted by sydunipete (where the expiry date is before the start date of the new membership year) looks like an error. That indeed raises the question what happens to miles earned between the expiry date (30 September 19) and the new membership year (presumably 3 Oct 19). Or would the "Membership Start Date" be adjusted to 1 Oct 2019, as on the M&S website it says "If you earn 40,000 Status Miles in the year after you become an Elite Plus member, or a total of 60,000 Status Miles in the two years after becoming an Elite Plus member, your Elite Plus membership will be extended for two more years." I wonder if the status will then simply be extended from the expiry date and the new "Membership Start Date" will be 1 Oct 2019?!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

But a start/expiry date as quoted by sydunipete (where the expiry date is before the start date of the new membership year) looks like an error. That indeed raises the question what happens to miles earned between the expiry date (30 September 19) and the new membership year (presumably 3 Oct 19). Or would the "Membership Start Date" be adjusted to 1 Oct 2019, as on the M&S website it says "If you earn 40,000 Status Miles in the year after you become an Elite Plus member, or a total of 60,000 Status Miles in the two years after becoming an Elite Plus member, your Elite Plus membership will be extended for two more years." I wonder if the status will then simply be extended from the expiry date and the new "Membership Start Date" will be 1 Oct 2019?!
I guess I'll only know after that date. Unfortunately I'll be booking my trips soon and I need to ensure they are in next membership year so I guess to be safer I'll fly on or after the 4th of October.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:00 am

I wrote to TK feedback requesting clarification of my membership dates, specifically from which date will flights accrue to my NEXT membership period. Here is there response which seems to confirm my 30 Sep date (maybe a fluke) and other discussion around Elite qualifying criteria for foreign residents.

"In accordance with the Miles&Smiles program rules, from the date you are qualified to Elite membership, if you are resident in Turkey and in case that you earn 30,000 Status Miles in the first 1year or reach 45,000 Status Miles in total in 2 years of your membership period from your domestic or international flights you will make with Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance member airlines, your Elite membership status is extended for 2 more years.

If you're not resident in Turkey, and earn 25,000 Status Miles in your first 1 year, or a total of 37,500 Status Miles in your 2 years of your membership period from your domestic or international flights you will make with Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance member airlines, your Elite membership status is extended for 2 more years.

We have examined your Miles&Smiles membership account as per your feedback and found out that you earned xx Status Miles in the first year and xx Status Miles in 2 years of your Elite membership period. To protect your Elite status, you must earn xx status miles until to 30th September, 2019 and after this date, the earned miles will continue to be added to your Elite membership."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.