Search

Good Idea

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:13 am
sfo
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Good Idea

Am thinking about using UA miles for a Business Class flight on TK. From Toronto to Thessaloniki via IST. Have read lots of reviews and they are really mixed. Don't want to waste my miles on some average flight. To the TK airlines frequent flyers, How decent is the service and food on a TransAtlantic flight?

Last edited by sfo; Mar 24, 2019 at 11:40 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:17 am

Business service and food are excellent. Particularly, the food is among the best IMO. Much better than any US-based airline in my experience. Seats are not as private as new UA Polaris, but they are solid lie-flats. Lounge at IST has been great, and expect no less from the new lounge in the new airport.
sfo, ISTFlyer and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:37 am
sfo
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply max, I do appreciate your reply.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If you're flying Business Class, the TK J class product is great. The food for Istanbul departures are excellent for Business Class but the quality and the taste on flights from outstations could depend on the company contracted. I have experienced a mediocre food at a LAX departure ( the only TK J class transatlantic route that I have flown ) but I have heard that flights from east-coast destinations have better food so Toronto may be different. Btw, you would get a full meal onboard the IST-SKG and SKG-IST legs as well. The seats are long enough on the 77W so you would be able to rest well during the flight, just be aware to pre-select your seat in advance otherwise, you might be dumped to a middle seat. The J class configuration on TK 77W's are 2-3-2. For now, I can't talk about the lounges as the lounges at the new airport hasn't been opened yet but the current one at Atatürk is one of the best lounges in the world. In YYZ, you would be admitted to the Maple Leaf Lounge and probably to the Aegean Lounge at SKG.

Also be aware that availability for YYZ flights fill up really quickly so if you found the ticket for your specific travel dates, purchase it immediately. YYZ, LAX, SFO & BOS are the hardest transatlantic routes that you could find TK J class award availability.
sfo likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The only thing "wrong" with using 140k United miles for the return in J to SKG is that you could use 90k TK miles or 110k Aeroplan miles instead on the exact same flights...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:05 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Thanks ISTFlyer, have been looking at flights today, and have found a few, but I want to leave from the East Coast, Canada, as going into the USA just makes it another added stop..I am looking at late January/Feb of 2020 and not a lot is being offered, so I will be checking every few days as I know things can change quickly. Again appreciate the information you have given me.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:08 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The only thing "wrong" with using 140k United miles for the return in J to SKG is that you could use 90k TK miles or 110k Aeroplan miles instead on the exact same flights...
Yes, I know, award miles with UA are high, but I do have 1,310,000 so 140,000 won't cause a big dent for me.I will be returning from Vienna, will make my way by train through some of the Eastern European countries that I have missed.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Also be aware that availability for YYZ flights fill up really quickly so if you found the ticket for your specific travel dates, purchase it immediately. YYZ, LAX, SFO & BOS are the hardest transatlantic routes that you could find TK J class award availability.
Add IAD to that list. Virtually nothing is available on business.
sfo likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
Even though the seats are not as private as other airlines' 1-2-1 layout, I sleep *much* better on TK seats because you have much more space to move your feet.

And also, the food is excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.