Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Major negative change to upgrade availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+

I just got off the phone from a few (HUCA) calls to TK inquiring about availability of upgrade seats (using miles/voucher) for a particular route I'm trying to choose the dates for based on upgrade availability.

In the past I would find a suitable flight with at least one J seat available, and then take the slight risk of someone else grabbing them before I managed to book my Y and secure the upgrade.

However, now several different agents all parroted back to me that the availability of J seats only means that there is a "possibility" that an upgrade will be possible, since starting from Dec 2018 J class is used both for upgrade space and for paid seats. They all insisted that only after I have a paid economy ticket can they even check to give me a definitive answer for whether any of those J seats are actually available for upgrades.

Anyone else heard of this? Or was told there's no upgrade space available while there were J seats remaining?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
I had the same experience last month. The "new" computer system only allows the agents to check availability of an upgrade after ticketing.
In my case, when trying to upgrade with miles (and then also tried with voucher), the only segment that could be confirmed was the one where I-space was also available. This was not the case last year, where I was successful in upgrading with miles on flights that were showing J4 I0. If this change holds true for others, then it is a definite negative change to the program!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite+ - Marriott Rewards Gold - Hertz 5 Stars
got same experience as system now has changed.
anyway in case J seats are available it is almost certain the upgrade space is there, so the risk is not so big and worth a try...

in case you fail to get the upgrade can try after few days as the situation might change when the airline releases new tarrifs or reservations without payment expire.

Last edited by Rescmajster; Mar 16, 2019 at 9:06 pm Reason: wrong spelling
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I have heard the same from call center about the J bucket being quite irrelevant nowadays. But it's rather due to their incompetence to operate the new system. Contact your local office and hope there's at least one properly trained person. They can check availability before ticketing and they can get over the often claimed "system error" which is only a result of their wrong upgrade processing.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Elite Plus upgrade voucher

This issue is well covered in the main thread, although I suppose it's time to update the wiki.

The risk is low if TK are willing to sell J on their website for the exact same route / dates etc. but you can always buy your paid ticket through a US OTA that has a 24-hour refund policy.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Elite Plus upgrade voucher
The risk is low if TK are willing to sell J on their website for the exact same route / dates etc. but you can always buy your paid ticket through a US OTA that has a 24-hour refund policy.
Are you sure that during this 24-hr time given by the OTA, the ticket appears to TK as if it is paid (as opposed to a 'hold') so that they can actually check the upgrade availability?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bamba70
Are you sure that during this 24-hr time given by the OTA, the ticket appears to TK as if it is paid (as opposed to a 'hold') so that they can actually check the upgrade availability?
Yes. When I'm trying to use upgrades, I usually first check for J inventory on ExpertFlyer, and purchase my ticket on that flight. Priceline usually issues the ticket within 1 hour of booking. Once I have the ticket number, I call TK and try to process the upgrade. If it doesn't work, I keep calling TK until an agent is able to upgrade for me.

I had no issues upgrading flights that had J but not I inventory last week, although it took a few HUCAs. If the call center isn't able to upgrade within the first 24 hours, I would cancel my Priceline booking and try again with different flights.
bamba70 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

OK, will try doing it this way. TK is so annoying and dumb. They could have saved so many hours of call agents and so much customer frustrations (driving e.g me to seriously consider ditching them) by adding a simple online option for checking availability and self-service upgrades...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Yes. When I'm trying to use upgrades, I usually first check for J inventory on ExpertFlyer, and purchase my ticket on that flight. Priceline usually issues the ticket within 1 hour of booking. Once I have the ticket number, I call TK and try to process the upgrade. If it doesn't work, I keep calling TK until an agent is able to upgrade for me.

I had no issues upgrading flights that had J but not I inventory last week, although it took a few HUCAs. If the call center isn't able to upgrade within the first 24 hours, I would cancel my Priceline booking and try again with different flights.
thanks for this suggestion! I usually like to buy flights with the airline directly as it think it'll be easier in case of schedule changes, seat reservations, etc
any experience how to confirm e.g. the famous TK schedule changes with an OTA booking? Also, can you add the booking to the TK app? Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

thanks for this suggestion! I usually like to buy flights with the airline directly as it think it'll be easier in case of schedule changes, seat reservations, etc
any experience how to confirm e.g. the famous TK schedule changes with an OTA booking? Also, can you add the booking to the TK app? Thanks!
You could use the OTA for the 24-hrs refundable booking just in order to confirm that an upgrade is actually available, maybe even do such a booking under a different name.
Once you confirm the upgrade is possible, make a direct booking with TK and apply the upgrade. Then, cancel the OTA refundable one...
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

I usually book interline tickets with AS segments (ex-SEA), so I usually end up booking via OTA anyway since TK's website/call center isn't able to issue these tickets. Seat reservations work fine on the TK website. Haven't tried the app, so not sure if the reservations show up there.

You could use the OTA for the 24-hrs refundable booking just in order to confirm that an upgrade is actually available, maybe even do such a booking under a different name.
Once you confirm the upgrade is possible, make a direct booking with TK and apply the upgrade. Then, cancel the OTA refundable one...
I would recommend against this approach, mainly because I don't trust that an upgrade is available until it is confirmed. If you start running into "system errors" while trying to confirm the upgrade, you'll be very thankful to have ability to cancel.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:26 am
Original Poster

I would recommend against this approach, mainly because I don't trust that an upgrade is available until it is confirmed. If you start running into "system errors" while trying to confirm the upgrade, you'll be very thankful to have ability to cancel.
I haven't thought about that, good thinking!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:27 am
Original Poster

I usually book interline tickets with AS segments
May I ask what are "AS segments" ?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Talked to folks in ticketing office in Taipei and she has 7 folks trying to upgrade using vouchers.

Not sure why they're making this so difficult when some J fates are very reasonable. The office confirms that they don't know if it can be upgraded without the reservation being ticketed.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
May I ask what are "AS segments" ?
My guess would be that it means where one or more legs are operated by AS (Alaska Airlines)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.