Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Can I access the business lounge in IST after I landed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Hey there, quick question guys/gals.
Have a chance to try out their business product in several months. Once I landed at IST, can I go to the lounge and grab some food before heading off to hotel? Or is this something you can do only when departinf from IST(assumed flying bus-class)? Plan to sightseeing for couple days in the city.
thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
No, to access the lounge requires a departing boarding pass for the same day.

However, if you are arriving in longhaul business class in the morning, you can access the arrivals lounge.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL

However, if you are arriving in longhaul business class in the morning, you can access the arrivals lounge.
I see. My flight plans to arrive at about 5pm. Oh well, i'll have to try their famous lounge another time.
Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are you visiting IST, or connecting?

If you're connecting, even if your next flight is the next day, then you can still access the lounge. You'll potentially have to go through security (depending on where your inbound flight is coming from), and getting back out through immigration is a bit of a maze, but you will be able to access the lounge without issue.

I don't know exactly what the criteria is, but it's definitely not "same day". I've accessed the lounge on multiple occasions with overnight connections, including one that was around 20 hours long (entering the lounge at about 8pm if I recall using the boarding pass for a flight that left the following afternoon). The automatic gates happily accepted my boarding pass. My guess is it's "within 24 hours", but that's only a guess.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: TK Gold
I once had a connecting flight via IST with TK. I was trying different boarding passes as I was guesting my parents who dont have status with TK. I was able to enter with the landing boarding pass. Worth a try. Not sure if it is because I have onwards flights with TK.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Plus, it was allowed by the gate. Instead of the gate agent. You can always try
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:48 am

You may have a problem to even reach the lounge. If your arrival requires going through transfer security, there will be personnel there who will request to see your onward boarding pass. Having said that, arrivals from the US are usually "clean", meaning you do not have to go through security and thus can proceed directly to the lounge. In which case I concur with the views above: it is probably not allowed but it's worth trying.

Shuly
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks, guys. That's good to know. I don't have a connecting flight so if the lounge is easily accessible after I pick up my baggage, I may just give it a try just for the heck of it. If not, it'll just be a lesson learned.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
As stated above the airside lounge will not be accessible for you.

You can try the TK arrivals lounge (turn right after you leave the luggage belts and clearing customs) but IMO not worth it - I would proceed straight to you hotel and grab some Turkish food in the city (it is great and not expensive).
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SK AAR
You can try the TK arrivals lounge (turn right after you leave the luggage belts and clearing customs) but IMO not worth it - I would proceed straight to you hotel and grab some Turkish food in the city (it is great and not expensive).
The arrivals lounge is only open mornings (through to about 1pm if I recall), so is not accessible for a 5pm arrival.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by bluemocha
Thanks, guys. That's good to know. I don't have a connecting flight so if the lounge is easily accessible after I pick up my baggage, I may just give it a try just for the heck of it. If not, it'll just be a lesson learned.
I didn't realize you were checing luggage. In that case, forget about the lounge.

Shuly
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
They don't enforce this, I came in from AMS last year and flew to IAD the next day; decided to get a bite to eat and entered the lounge without any trouble.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Granite64
They don't enforce this, I came in from AMS last year and flew to IAD the next day; decided to get a bite to eat and entered the lounge without any trouble.
PVDtoDEL meant that you need to have valid boarding pass for the following 24 hours ( not a calendar day ). Otherwise while arriving IST, you are directed to the arrivals hall. There is no access to the lounge nor the departure hall for passengers without a valid boarding pass.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
PVDtoDEL meant that you need to have valid boarding pass for the following 24 hours ( not a calendar day ). Otherwise while arriving IST, you are directed to the arrivals hall. There is no access to the lounge nor the departure hall for passengers without a valid boarding pass.
I guess I interpreted 'same day' wrong
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:45 pm

This was not my experience on two flight from JFK to IST last year.

Originally Posted by shuly
If your arrival requires going through transfer security, there will be personnel there who will request to see your onward boarding pass. Having said that, arrivals from the US are usually "clean", meaning you do not have to go through security and thus can proceed directly to the lounge. In which case I concur with the views above: it is probably not allowed but it's worth trying.

Shuly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.