Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK Mileage Accrual for LH Operated Flight Booked on UA Website, Class Question

TK Mileage Accrual for LH Operated Flight Booked on UA Website, Class Question

Old Jan 6, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite Plus, SAS EuroBonus Gold, American Express Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by max_kolesne View Post

V class booked on TK website operated by TK. The customer representative confirmed that I received less that I should have.
Had the same issue with a ticket booked in L and Q class which earn 50 and 100%. Agent also confirmed that they had been credited as P-class. Sent in a claim form, but it will likely take months before they manage to resolve it.
Old Jan 7, 19, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116 View Post
Had the same issue with a ticket booked in L and Q class which earn 50 and 100%. Agent also confirmed that they had been credited as P-class. Sent in a claim form, but it will likely take months before they manage to resolve it.
Mine actually got resolved today, in less than 48 hours. But, I’ve sent the form in Turkish and confirmed the documentation with the agent over the phone, so that might have changed something.
Old Jan 14, 19, 3:26 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by johnirvine View Post
I am not sure that this information is actually correct. What the OP needs to know is how the UA codeshare booking class maps on to the booking class employed by the operating airline LH. L and W class in a UA codeshare booking cannot be assumed to map onto L and W with LH. In my experience, it is very difficult indeed to predict exactly what TK mileage you accrue when flying LH on a UA codeshare.
I don't understand what you are talking about. If you fly LH W, you earn LH W on TK based on the chart i attached. I don't understand the problem with the codeshare
Old Jan 14, 19, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Maux View Post
I don't understand what you are talking about. If you fly LH W, you earn LH W on TK based on the chart i attached. I don't understand the problem with the codeshare
It is not certain that OP is flying LH W. Let me try to explain.

When you book a codeshare flight marketed by one carrier (UA in this case) but operated by another carrier (LH), the booking code and fares can get mixed up. For example, let's say you book the codeshare flight UA9127 in L class. On UA's booking system that will show as UA9127 in class L, but on LH's booking system that ticket could show as LH1305 in class S. Since LH is the operating carrier, they will be the one telling your FFP about your flight details for accrual, so you will be credited LH S, not UA L. For codeshares there is no certain way of knowing (that I'm aware of) what class you are flying on the operating airline's system. You have to know how UA fares map to LH fares to deduct which class you are on. That info is usually not shared with customer service agents.

The example I used was purely fictional, I don't know if UA L really maps to LH S, it probably doesn't. As I said on an earlier post, I believe LH and UA fares and classes map to the same on each other systems, but that might not be the case.
Old Jan 15, 19, 12:17 am

Ok, now i understand. I always booked codeshare flights through UA website and the booking class was always that that was showed on the ticket. Didn't know it could change from UA to LX for example. Thanks for the answer
Old Feb 5, 19, 9:10 am

Programs: OZ G; FB G; HHonors Gold;
UA booking class R (Premium Economy), operated by LH. Do I earn 0 for TK M&S?

Hi, I have similar question and cannot figure it out.

UA booking class R (Premium Economy), operated by LH.
I guess I will earn 0 for TK M&S, since the M&S website shows LH Booking classes not eligible for accrual: O, I, R, X, K, L, P.

Am I right? Tks in advance.

Frankfurt, DE (FRA) nach Denver, CO, US (DEN)
13:20 - 15:45 (10h 25m)
UA 8878 Boeing 747-400
Durchgeführt Von Lufthansa
  • Premium Economy (R)
Old Feb 5, 19, 1:06 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Yes. UA maps directly to LH.
Old Feb 6, 19, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Yes. UA maps directly to LH.
tks a lot.
Old Feb 6, 19, 4:23 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by wavyfly View Post
tks a lot.
Actually my bad... I forgot UA had redone their fare classes with the introduction of PE on UA.

I think UA R now maps to LH N. So you will earn your miles on TK M&S!

Simple way to check is call up UA and ask for your LH PNR then check with LH.
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:00 am

Actually my bad... I forgot UA had redone their fare classes with the introduction of PE on UA.

Wow, that is a great news. I will ask UA now. Tks again.
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:00 pm

The LH PNR will probably show the flight with UA flight number and UA booking class (ie. the same info as the UA PNR). That doesn't mean it maps R to R, you can still earn miles from another class. That was my experience with TK-AC codeshares, but YMMV.
Old Feb 6, 19, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by dozerman94 View Post
The LH PNR will probably show the flight with UA flight number and UA booking class (ie. the same info as the UA PNR). That doesn't mean it maps R to R, you can still earn miles from another class. That was my experience with TK-AC codeshares, but YMMV.
Yes the website will show the same codeshare info. I meant check with LH by calling in. The phone agents will be able to give the answer.
Old Feb 7, 19, 3:45 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
If this was the cheapest Economy Premium ticket available with UA, it is very likely that UA R class maps into LH N class. UA R class can't map into LH R class as the latter is not a Economy Premium fare (I believe it is some kind of ID/industry/deeply discounted ticket not available to the public).