Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Reimbursement for missing and damaged luggage?

Old Dec 26, 18, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Turkish Airlines Miles And Smiles, United, American Airlines.

I took a 35 hour flight from Honolulu, Hawaii to San Francisco, then to Istanbul, then connected to Zurich. Final destination. It was pouring heavy rain in Istanbul, and I remember having to walk out the plane to a bus to get to the airport terminal to connect to Zurich. When I arrived, my 2 bags did not arrive with me so I filed a report at the Swissport. The next day they called and said my luggage was located. It was returned that evening, soaking wet inside. Everything was soaking wet with rain water. My books were soaked. They had gone in my vitamin bags and not closed them properly so since they are water soluble, soaked all my garments and leathers. Two handbags were ruined. Disfigured by soaking in water for so long. Missing shoes, missing books, missing cosmetic bag, it was horrible. I am assuming they left my luggage in the rain on the tarmac in Istanbul as that was the only place that had bad weather during my travels. I took photos, and filed a report online, they contacted me right away and asked for receipts. Luckily I had a few receipts of items in my carry on but anything else was ruined in the luggage. Receipt ink is illegible in rain water. I was livid. It took me a few days to respond because I was trying to reach stores in Hawaii to see if they had copies of receipts they could send to me. It was so stressful. Finally I compiled a list of the damage. It was easily $500 USD. I didn't hear back from them for days. I called 5 times each time getting hung up on and disconnected by operators trying to find a customer service rep in English. Finally someone said they would help. They sent an email to someone. I got back a response two days later offering me $100 USD for compensation. That is not enough. The ticket was bought in Switzerland. But I was in Hawaii at the time. The purchaser of the ticket is Swiss. I the claimant is Canadian but a resident of Hawaii. I am going to be staying in Switzerland a while. Can I go to a local office in Switzerland and approach them about the situation? Clearly they are guilty seeing as they offer me $100 but that isn't enough to replace my goods. Any tips for what to do next?
Old Dec 26, 18, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My first and practical advice here is to make a claim against your travel (baggage) insurance for the remaining $400. Presuming that it is all properly documented and the items are brand new, you should have your payment in short order and your insurer and TK can then fight about it without your involvement.'

If you do choose to purse TK, bear in mind that it is irrelevant when and where this all happened. The carrier which delivered you to ZRH, e.g. TK is responsible even if the damage occurred between HNL and SFO. The length of your flights is also not relevant. Rather, the Montreal Convention requires TK to reimburse (or repair) the damaged items up to a maximum of approximately $1,650 in fair market value (anything used has a FMV a lot less than replacement value). You won't likely be reimbursed for your vitamins because those should never have been in the checked luggage in the first place.

Don't expect anything more than TK. You will likely have to pursue TK in a small claims action. Best to bring that where you live.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: