Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

VAT return in IST tax return Istanbul turkey ADB AYT

Old Dec 16, 18, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK elite+ = *gold, MarriWood Titanium + Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist

Hi everyone,
I bought three nice suits and will return to Germany (where I live) flying ADB-IST-DUS tomorrow.
I have a tax invoice for the suits, two will be in my carry on (no checked bags) and I'll wear the third one.

Where and how do I get my VAT back?
I assume I have to walk up to a customs desk in IST when walking from the domestic to the international terminal before entering passport control to show the suits, and then go to a cash desk after passport control to be receive the money?
Is it possible for things in carry one and where are those two desks?
(I mentioned AYT in the title so this will come up in the search since it should be the same for that route).
Thanks!

​​​​
Old Dec 16, 18, 10:28 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by zap7 View Post
Hi everyone,
I bought three nice suits and will return to Germany (where I live) flying ADB-IST-DUS tomorrow.
I have a tax invoice for the suits, two will be in my carry on (no checked bags) and I'll wear the third one.

Where and how do I get my VAT back?
I assume I have to walk up to a customs desk in IST when walking from the domestic to the international terminal before entering passport control to show the suits, and then go to a cash desk after passport control to be receive the money?
Is it possible for things in carry one and where are those two desks?
(I mentioned AYT in the title so this will come up in the search since it should be the same for that route).
Thanks!

​​​​
-There should be a VAT desk at Izmir as well at the international terminal. Just hand boarding passes four both of your flights and be sure that your paper is stamped. Then you could receive your money at the desks at Izmir-ADB or Istanbul Atatürk Airport.
-I am not familiar with desk locations at IST as I am a resident and I am not able to shop tax free.
zap7 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK elite+ = *gold, MarriWood Titanium + Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Just in case someone needs this for a flight from IST before they move 100% of operations:
1.) Have the shop fill out the correct form for tax returns! (It took me 30 minutes of asking, searching and waiting in lines to find out the following steps, but since I had the wrong form from the shop, a refund was denyied)
2.) If goods are in luggage to be checked in: proceed to checkin, receive boarding pass and tags for bags. Tell them you want to do the tax refund so they tag your bags but do NOT let them take the bags. You'll hand them in at the customs desk
3.) Proceed to desk A15 (opposite site of the Terminal than TK lounge), show receipt + good + passport + boarding pass and let them take your bags. I only had cabin bags so I did not test this.
With cabin bags:
1.) Make sure to have the right form from the shop
2.) Inside of security, proceed to gate 219. It's very close to the TK lounge entrance from inside security. Show the customs office the goods (if you look towards gate 219, the entrance to the office is on your right).
3.) Go to gate 222 afterwards to receive your money.

You'll need some time - it could be done in 12 minutes if you were the only one. But usually there is just one desk open, and the other people in line might need 20 seconds (send away, wrong form) or up to 15 minutes (per person)...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: