Wiki Posts
Search

ADD to IST red eye Biz

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
ADD to IST red eye Biz

Has anyone taken this red eye? Biz is in recliners. Not lie flat. Gets into IST early morning. Trying to decide if this is worth it with the family so we can spend 2 full days in Istanbul for the first time on the way back to the states. How well can we sleep in those seats?

which lounge do you use in ADD?

thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Braswch
Has anyone taken this red eye? Biz is in recliners. Not lie flat. Gets into IST early morning. Trying to decide if this is worth it with the family so we can spend 2 full days in Istanbul for the first time on the way back to the states. How well can we sleep in those seats?

thanks!
re: seat comfort:

I’m not familiar with that route, but know just about all TK seats pretty well.

I’ve sometimes slept like a baby in a Y middle seat and not at all in full lie-flat J. It really depends on the person that day.

From ADD (and my family), I would probably choose to sit in the back, spending the saved money on booking a nicer hotel at a better location in Istanbul.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

The ET lounge (Cloud Nine only for *G)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold
The ET lounge (Cloud Nine only for *G)
Thanks!
We would arrive into ADD on Ethiopian Biz and depart on Turkish Biz. Can anyone confirm we would have access to which lounge? Ethiopian Lounge #2 ?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Oh one other question. If our Ethiopian flight Nairobi to ADD is booked separetly from the ADD to IST (Turkish Airlines) flight can I check my bags all the way through? We'll have a 3 hour layover from about 9:30 pm.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:50 am

All legs should be in one PNR (Reservation).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crixus
All legs should be in one PNR (Reservation).
If we go with this routing we most likely will not be on the same PNR.does that mean we cannot check through our bags and will have to recheck in ADD during that 3 hours?
Anyone with recent experience on this?
Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:05 am

In my experience you'll need one PNR in order to check your luggage all the way through. I had that issue last year when I checked in in FRA to Arn with LH and had to check in again in ARN to fly further with SAS. According to the counter it was not possible to check through.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If we go with this routing we most likely will not be on the same PNR.does that mean we cannot check through our bags and will have to recheck in ADD during that 3 hours?
Anyone with recent experience on this?
Thanks!
No experience with anything other than transitting ADD, but that sounds like a really bad idea. Three hours would be tight at a European airport that you are familiar with.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals

thanks!
Just flew through ADD! They have 3 lounges: one for their Silver card holders, one for their Gold & Above and all *G pax, AND one Cloud Nine (for their J class pax, and *A J-class pax). My bet, you'd probably use the Cloud Nine lounge: although, it's nothing to write home about. Tried the *G lounge briefly, and, it did look emptier than Cloud nine lounge during peak evening time.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Just flew through ADD! They have 3 lounges: one for their Silver card holders, one for their Gold & Above and all *G pax, AND one Cloud Nine (for their J class pax, and *A J-class pax). My bet, you'd probably use the Cloud Nine lounge: although, it's nothing to write home about. Tried the *G lounge briefly, and, it did look emptier than Cloud nine lounge during peak evening time.
Thanks for all the help! I guess one solution is to travel with only carry ons. Going from Nairobi to ADD to IST are there restrictions on liquids or anything else?
Thanks again!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Crixus
In my experience you'll need one PNR in order to check your luggage all the way through. I had that issue last year when I checked in in FRA to Arn with LH and had to check in again in ARN to fly further with SAS. According to the counter it was not possible to check through.
I usually find that *A do allow interlining but it really depends on who you have at the counter and if they are competent/experienced enough. I've interlined bag from UA to TK on separate tickets years ago. I more recently interlined SQ to ET on separate tickets.

Thanks for all the help! I guess one solution is to travel with only carry ons. Going from Nairobi to ADD to IST are there restrictions on liquids or anything else?
Thanks again!
Normal 100ml/3.3oz restrictions
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
There are a lot of threads about ADD airport, lounges and transit in the "other Middle east and African carriers" forum, even a sticky one about ADD airport.
I would not have paid extra to fly in J from ADD to IST, flight is too short and those recliners, though better than a standard Y seat, are nowhere near a flat bed experience.
​​​​​​I should add: ET just announced a new route to IST, and on wide body as far as I can see. ET wide body J is definitely preferable over TK narrow body.

Edit: Link to the sticky ADD airport guide:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1894288-add-addis-ababa-bole-international-airport-connections-facilities-layovers.html

Last edited by Goaguy; Dec 11, 2018 at 12:47 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Just flew through ADD! They have 3 lounges: one for their Silver card holders, one for their Gold & Above and all *G pax, AND one Cloud Nine (for their J class pax, and *A J-class pax).
Plus a dedicated lounge only for Shebamiles Platinum. Both the Star Gold lounge and Cloud Nine lounges can get very packed during peak hours (8pm - 11:00pm ish)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goaguy
There are a lot of threads about ADD airport, lounges and transit in the "other Middle east and African carriers" forum, even a sticky one about ADD airport.
I would not have paid extra to fly in J from ADD to IST, flight is too short and those recliners, though better than a standard Y seat, are nowhere near a flat bed experience.
​​​​​​I should add: ET just announced a new route to IST, and on wide body as far as I can see. ET wide body J is definitely preferable over TK narrow body.

Edit: Link to the sticky ADD airport guide:
ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers
Thanks great info! However I just did a check and it looks like the ADD to IST flight is on a 737, not a wide body as you mentioned and I had hoped.
ET720Aircraft:Boeing 737-800

Also, I agree with you on the idea of not paying extra for biz on a short flight. However if it's a red eye that might make me lean a bit more towards biz. HOWEVER, in this case the cost of flying Biz ADD - IST - JFK is less than half the cost of simply flying IST - JFK. So that's why I'm looking at that routing and why I need to figure out how to get from NBO to ADD.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.