FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Turkish carry-on weight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1940774-turkish-carry-weight.html)

nikkigirl Nov 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Turkish carry-on weight

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has taken Turkish business from IAH? Do they weigh carry-ons? I have one that weighs 24 pounds, thanks to my suitcase which weighs 7 pounds. The max weight is 17 pounds for each. You are allowed two. It just seems like it would defeat the purpose if I have to split up the clothes and take two, even though I am under the total weight with just one. Thanks for the help

Also, did anyone have to show their cc at the counter? If so, were you still able to check-in the day before on-line?

gr8pirate Nov 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by nikkigirl (Post 30433394)
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has taken Turkish business from IAH? Do they weigh carry-ons? I have one that weighs 24 pounds, thanks to my suitcase which weighs 7 pounds. The max weight is 17 pounds for each. You are allowed two. It just seems like it would defeat the purpose if I have to split up the clothes and take two, even though I am under the total weight with just one. Thanks for the help
Also, did anyone have to show their cc at the counter? If so, were you still able to check-in the day before on-line?

Unless the heavier carry-on is rather large for a carry-on, I really doubt you’ll run into a problem, especially in J.

I never had to show my credit card for flights with TK, but if you’re worried about that, get a copy of it with a statement from the card holder.

OLCI works fine, but on some routes you can’t pre-print or get a mobile boarding pass and need to go to counter anyway.

craigthemif Nov 17, 2018 5:09 am

My personal opinion is that if your carry-on is so heavy that you need help to get in into the overhead bin... then you're carrying on too much. And some airlines have strict policies about staff not helping passengers lift things...

But you shouldn't run into a problem in J with ground staff weighing your carry-on. You might have problems at TSA though, as I struggle to imagine a standard roll-aboard weighing that much unless it's full of books, metal bars or over-sized liquids...

gr8pirate Nov 17, 2018 5:46 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30438836)
My personal opinion is that if your carry-on is so heavy that you need help to get in into the overhead bin... then you're carrying on too much. And some airlines have strict policies about staff not helping passengers lift things...

But you shouldn't run into a problem in J with ground staff weighing your carry-on. You might have problems at TSA though, as I struggle to imagine a standard roll-aboard weighing that much unless it's full of books, metal bars or over-sized liquids...

I think this got lost in conversion: OP’s carry on is 24lbs=11kg, still reasonable.

But I agree with you otherwise!

zap7 Nov 17, 2018 6:16 am

I don't know about IAH, but I've flown TK from MIA twice in J. In MIA you could NOT use mobile Boarding pass, and they did NOT have TK staff, but contractors at the checkin desk.
I has unlucky and got a grumpy Agent who didn't even know the rules: "Sir, you can't take two bags with you"
"Oh, pardon me, I think with Turkish Airlines, Business Class passengers may take two cabin bags. It's so confusing these days with different rules for different carriers… Let's see, right here on the Reservation it says 2x cabin bag…" (said this in a really polite way, but she had been grumpy and unfriendly from the start...)
"OH, you are in fact right, sir. BUT I HAVE TO CHECK THE WEIGHT" - one of my carry ons was actually 11 kg (instead of the 8 kg allowed) and that was one of the only two times in C and another two times in Y where they took it from my - I did several hundred flights with this bag, usually at 10-12kg, 95% of those flights on European/asian carriers that only allow 7 or 8 kg. 99,5% of the time they did not weight it, and not once did anybody check the dimensions ( 1,5 cm / half an Inch too much in each Dimension for LH/TK/LX/SQ/AB).

Next time form MIA I had a very friendly Agent as usuall, and of course she never even asked for me to put anything on the scale.

I never, ever encountered any Problem at TSA or other security checks anywhere. I can lift that bag with one arm, get it in the overhead in a breeze, it fits perfectly, and in most planes the overhead bins is labeled inside with something like "load limit 46 kg" for one compartment that takes two of thoose bags.

in short: TK will rarely weight cabin bags (in C). IMHO the highest risk for this happening is US airports. If it happens, it happens at checkin. Watch the agents while you stand in line, If one seems unfriendly to other passengers or always puts all their cabin bags on a scale, Chose to write that important emails on your Smartphone when it's your turn and the unfriendly one would be the one handling you.... let somebody else pass in front of you and wait till one of the friendly ones is available.

nikkigirl Nov 17, 2018 10:19 am

Thank you for your replies. Last year, I used this carry-on, but on Klm. They allow 24 pounds, or a bit more. I really did not put much in there , but like I said...the case weighs 7 pounds empty. I’m bringing a backpack, so I will just check it and switch some clothes to that, if the say anything. I’m more worried about not being able to check in the night before, because they have to see our cc. I did a lot of research picking our seats..haha

gr8pirate Nov 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by nikkigirl (Post 30439471)
Thank you for your replies. Last year, I used this carry-on, but on Klm. They allow 24 pounds, or a bit more. I really did not put much in there , but like I said...the case weighs 7 pounds empty. I’m bringing a backpack, so I will just check it and switch some clothes to that, if the say anything. I’m more worried about not being able to check in the night before, because they have to see our cc. I did a lot of research picking our seats..haha

Jeez, how sketchy is that CC that you are so worried about it? The only time I was asked for mine was with EVA Air and that was clearly spelled out in the booking confirmation, so no surprise.

It’s not standard in my experience with TK.

sazizi Nov 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Continuing on with the topic, I remember reading somewhere on TK website that Elite/Elite Plus can also take two carry on's even when traveling in Economy. Is this correct?

zap7 Nov 19, 2018 7:17 am

Originally Posted by sazizi (Post 30443995)
Continuing on with the topic, I remember reading somewhere on TK website that Elite/Elite Plus can also take two carry on's even when traveling in Economy. Is this correct?

That's a tricky one - data Points:
Bought economy ticket with my profile (elite+, I am also the passenger). Reservation says "1 carry on"
Upgraded with e+ voucher, Reservation still says "1 carry on" although it's now in J
somewhere on their Website it also says "1 carry on for economy" and additional piece for elites that sounds like "+20 kg or +1 checked in piece". I searched this repeatedly during the last years and could never find their Website stating the 2 carry ons for elites

But:
Sign at checkin in CGN says: Y 1 carry on. elite, elite+ and Business Class: 2 carry on. I took a photo 4 weeks ago but can't post it right now. Official TK sign (not handwritten)
and: whenever I travel in any class with TK, I always take 2 carry ons.
I've been elite+ for several years now, but if my Memory is correct, it also worked when I was LH FTL travelling TK on cheap eco sale (long time ago).

IMHO it depends much more on how your carry on looks (my two pieces are the maximum dimensions, but look small next to me - different story if my wife would take the same two bags).
I rarely use the checkin counters any more because everything fits my two cary ons for almost every trip and TK offers mobile check in from most airports - but those signs should help if you ever have that "2 pieces for elite" discussion.

Have you seen those signs at others TK counters, too?

DG206 Nov 19, 2018 10:35 am

Thought the 1 carryon +1 'personal item' maximum was FAA requirement regardless of class

TPACjv Nov 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by zap7 (Post 30445076)

Sign at checkin in CGN says: Y 1 carry on. elite, elite+ and Business Class: 2 carry on. I took a photo 4 weeks ago but can't post it right now. Official TK sign (not handwritten)
and: whenever I travel in any class with TK, I always take 2 carry ons.
I've been elite+ for several years now, but if my Memory is correct, it also worked when I was LH FTL travelling TK on cheap eco sale (long time ago).

IMHO it depends much more on how your carry on looks (my two pieces are the maximum dimensions, but look small next to me - different story if my wife would take the same two bags).
I rarely use the checkin counters any more because everything fits my two cary ons for almost every trip and TK offers mobile check in from most airports - but those signs should help if you ever have that "2 pieces for elite" discussion.

Have you seen those signs at others TK counters, too?

I haven't seen the signs but I always thought the 2 carryon + personal item was for j and e+. I fly with a similar setup, a spinner plus 40L backpack. No one's ever made any fuss about backpack. Though, they love to weigh the spinner at the counter.

nikkigirl Nov 21, 2018 10:11 am

Someone said something about flying to and from America that you can only have one carry-on. I remember reading that last year, but could not find it. I ended up texting the TSA and they said there is not rule like that and it is up to the airline. Last year, I took klm and the year before that United, so I could have read it on their websites.

tpca- I got my spinner down to 17.5 and the limit is 17.6..hahaha.

slickvik Nov 21, 2018 5:30 pm

They never check

zap7 Nov 22, 2018 3:59 am

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...80bc2bc2a1.jpg
cabin baggage rules, TK checkin at CGN, Sept 2018

zap7 Nov 22, 2018 4:02 am

Originally Posted by nikkigirl (Post 30453232)
Someone said something about flying to and from America that you can only have one carry-on. I remember reading that last year, but could not find it. I ended up texting the TSA and they said there is not rule like that and it is up to the airline. Last year, I took klm and the year before that United, so I could have read it on their websites.

tpca- I got my spinner down to 17.5 and the limit is 17.6..hahaha.

There is also no "only one piece to US" rule from major *A carriers - I have taken multiple flights to/from US from DUS/FRA/MUC/ZRH/IST on TK/LH/LX/SQ during the last years and never ever did two pieces + personal item cause any problems anywhere (except for the one grumpy checkin agent at MIA mentioned above).

If I remember correctly there once was a "only one piece allowed at LHR" rules some years ago in LHR that was enforced by airport staff, regardless of airline or class flown, but it was abondoned again a few years ago. Maybe you've read about that somewhere (might have been incorrectly qouted if someone connected at LHR to get to the US)

Kudos to you for getting the spinner compliant!