Upgrade to Business Class

Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver, TK Elite+, Accor Gold, Mariott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond and IHG Diamond Ambassador
Upgrade to Business Class

Hello,
How can I upgrade online using miles from Economy to Business?

Thank's for help !
DC10
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by DC10
Hello,
How can I upgrade online using miles from Economy to Business?

Thank's for help !
DC10
Unfortunately you can’t. You either need to call, visit a sales office (both these require J inventory availability) or hope there’s still a seat left at check-in.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver, TK Elite+, Accor Gold, Mariott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond and IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Unfortunately you can’t. You either need to call, visit a sales office (both these require J inventory availability) or hope there’s still a seat left at check-in.
Thank you, I will phone them in the morning. Is upgrade secured or they let you know at check-in?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Thank you, I will phone them in the morning. Is upgrade secured or they let you know at check-in?
Once it’s confirmed, you’re in!
If there isn’t any availability, some members here have reported asking to be put on a waitlist for the upgrade.

good luck!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:24 am
Original Poster

I tried to call local office and their office and both offices told me that upgrade is not possible and that only possibility would be to do airport upgrade. But I checked ExpertFlyer website and still shows me few seats are available in (J) class. Is Expert Flyer wrong or Turkish Airlines don't want to upgrade me?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Hard to say. ExpertFlyer inventory could be off (different POS), availability could differ by O&D (TK uses married segment logic), or, most likely, the local sales office simply doesn't know how to do mileage upgrades and rather than admitting that, makes up an excuse and passes the buck on.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
Hard to say. ExpertFlyer inventory could be off (different POS), availability could differ by O&D (TK uses married segment logic), or, most likely, the local sales office simply doesn't know how to do mileage upgrades and rather than admitting that, makes up an excuse and passes the buck on.
Thank you for the answer. I phoned their international customer care number and after short chat operator said that only chance for upgrade would be airport one. I also spoke with my local office and they say that I should call them few times before departure in case something will free up. Expert flyer shows seats available and cabin is about 50% full, for reference economy is almost empty.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Hello again,

After short discussion with my local Turkish Airlines office I was putted on wait-list. When I checked booking I could saw two tickets for my flight, 1 in Y and 1 in J. After few hours J ticket disappeared from booking. Was I removed from wait-list or why my J ticket disappeared? If I check Expert Flyer today I can see 0 reward seats but same cabin occupancy as yesterday when there where 5 seats available.

Last edited by DC10; Nov 8, 2018 at 4:05 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Hello again,

After short discussion with my local Turkish Airlines office I was putted on wait-list. When I checked booking I could saw two tickets for my flight, 1 in Y and 1 in J. After few hours J ticket disappeared from booking. Was I removed from wait-list or why my J ticket disappeared? If I check Expert Flyer today I can see 0 reward seats but same cabin occupancy as yesterday when there where 5 seats available.
It's an opaque system, and some routes are difficult. Seats can be kept back for airport sales and cash upgrades and (importantly) for staff travel, friends & family. If you're looking at Dubai, it's one of the tricky ones.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's an opaque system, and some routes are difficult. Seats can be kept back for airport sales and cash upgrades and (importantly) for staff travel, friends & family. If you're looking at Dubai, it's one of the tricky ones.
Thank's for reply. Are airport upgrades with miles just for 1 leg or for the entire journey. Because call center agent suggest me to come early and ask for upgrade at the check-in. And it is a night flight and I am looking forward to the upgrade.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Dont worry too much. If a seat in business class is available at check-in you will be able to request an upgrade for miles at the check-in desk. However, I'm not sure if the upgrade include other/subsequent legs than the current from your point of departure - I'm sure that the agent will try to apply the upgrade only for the leg he/she is in charge of - and may try to give you some explanation that upgrade for later flights is not possible, not avilable etc.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thank's for reply. Are airport upgrades with miles just for 1 leg or for the entire journey. Because call center agent suggest me to come early and ask for upgrade at the check-in. And it is a night flight and I am looking forward to the upgrade.

Just don't build your hopes up to high - it's better to have a nice surprise than a crushing disappointment !
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
I is for mileage upgrade

I tried to call local office and their office and both offices told me that upgrade is not possible and that only possibility would be to do airport upgrade. But I checked ExpertFlyer website and still shows me few seats are available in (J) class. Is Expert Flyer wrong or Turkish Airlines don't want to upgrade me?
J is not what you need.
I is for Upgrades with miles, so if you want a confirmed upgrade, that Class needs availability.

Edited: J is the class that should be available if you want to upgrade with miles (or E+ voucher), I is for business award.

Last edited by zap7; Nov 10, 2018 at 3:55 pm Reason: Made a mistake with booking classes and was corrected by other poster
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by zap7
J is not what you need, J is for elite+ vouchers only.
I is for Upgrades with miles, so if you want a confirmed upgrade, that Class needs availability.
This absolutely not correct. Upgrading (from eco to biz) with miles or E+ voucher needs the same thing: J class availability.
I class availability is for award biz ticket.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Originally Posted by flyerby
Upgrading (from eco to biz) with miles or E+ voucher needs the same thing: J class availability.
I class availability is for award biz ticket.
Sorry, I had it somehow memorized incorrectly, and thanks flyerby for correcting me!

It's even written down on their website right here: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-b...rds/index.html :' "In Business Class, if there is space in the "J" class and you have a confirmed reservation, you can upgrade. You can upgrade up to 24 hours before flight departure via one of our sales offices or call center."

So if they told the OP that no upgrade was available despite J class being shown it might be:
- incompetent agent, so hang up and call again (so standard with TK that I didn't mention it, but recently I had very good experiences: 2017+2018: 10x TK agents getting TK request right the first time, and for *A partner awards, it usually just took two calls to get one thing done for my last four awards since 2017)
- Married segments; I ran into this with TK more often than with others, even on paid D class: AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC showing a cláss as available, e.g. D4 J4, but AAA-BBB-CCC had D0 J0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.