Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SFOTraveler1984
List of 787 Destinations: (ordered by date of inaugural flight)

AYT 08JUL19 to 30SEP19 (domestic familiarization flights)
ADB from 27OCT19
--
DPS from 17JUL19
AMS few rotations from 26JUL19-21AUG19 & 17OCT19-24OCT19
IAD from 08AUG19
MEX/CUN from 21AUG19
DEL from 21AUG19
JFK from 22AUG19
DXB from 03SEP19
ATL from 10SEP19
PTY/BOG from 10SEP19
MIA from 31OCT19
CCS from 01APR20
NRT from 13APR20
KIX from 14APR20
KUL from 12MAY20
SIN from 08JUN20

Seating:
The TK 787 offers 1-2-1 seating in J as follows (see post #1):
Odd rows: A (window) [aisle] E&F (honeymoon seats, console at the aisle) [aisle] K (window)
Even rows: A (window) [aisle] D&G (seats closer to aisle, console in between seats) [aisle] K (window)

Please note that as of August 11th, it is not possible to select seats on the TK website or in the TK app. Also, the hotline seems to look at an outdated seat map and does not see all seats.
Print Wikipost

B787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
In my 787 experience (UA and ET) the windows are never completely opaque, even when the crew forces them ‘down’. You can still enjoy the view.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Can anyone confirm whether the crew on this aircraft have kept all the window shades completely dark even when it was daylight outside? this is my greatest fear of flying this aircraft... Not being able to see outside.
On the medium-haul flights between AMS and IST, the windows were kept open/clear.
On the flight from IST to DPS the windows were kept dark all the time - which I liked as it allowed my to get some 6-7 hours of sleep (otherwise there will be sunlight in the cabin already 2-3 hours after the night-time departure from IST).
On the flight from DPS to IST, the windows were kept open/clear, which was fine as this is an all-nighttime flight (leaves DPS at 9pm, arrives IST at 5am).
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
On the medium-haul flights between AMS and IST, the windows were kept open/clear.
On the flight from IST to DPS the windows were kept dark all the time - which I liked as it allowed my to get some 6-7 hours of sleep (otherwise there will be sunlight in the cabin already 2-3 hours after the night-time departure from IST).
On the flight from DPS to IST, the windows were kept open/clear, which was fine as this is an all-nighttime flight (leaves DPS at 9pm, arrives IST at 5am).
Thanks for the data point. Not being able to control my window at a window seat is a problem for me. I love looking outside. I don't understand it Airlines who force dim Windows when all amenity kits contain eyeshades
FEasy likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thanks for the data point. Not being able to control my window at a window seat is a problem for me. I love looking outside. I don't understand it Airlines who force dim Windows when all amenity kits contain eyeshades
If I'm not wrong, a few years ago, a Turkish businessman didn't want to close his window blind on a flight from IST to LAX while others were sleeping and a dispute occurred mid-flight and no one could make that guy close his window. It was upsetting that a pregnant woman was not able to sleep because of him.
Source in Turkish:
Edit: Found the image for the relevant news

SFOTraveler1984 likes this.

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Aug 19, 2019 at 9:33 am Reason: Stated
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:46 am

Oh oh, this has the risk of turning into a philosophical discussion about whether window blinds should be up or down. There was a lengthy discussion recently in the United forum as more and more cabin crews request window blinds to be down even on daytime US-domestic flights.
Some people said they prefer this as it means less glare on laptop displays and hence better to work on the flight.

For me it depends on the flight. I don't need a dark cabin on a domestic flight, but on a flight from IST to SFO where there will be daylight for the entire 13 hrs flight, I prefer window shades down in order to get some sleep. Originating somewhere in Europe, I would have gotten up super-early and still have a few hours to kill after landing in SFO. Hence I usually try to get some sleep on the plane.
IST-DPS is similar. The flight departs at 1am so your body feels like sleeping - but daylight comes out already 2-3 hours after departure.

I spoke with a cabin crew member on a recent IST-SFO flight and they told me standard procedure is window blinds down after lunch (at least for flights like IST-SFO and also SFO-IST where daylight comes out after 5 hours).
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Oh oh, this has the risk of turning into a philosophical discussion about whether window blinds should be up or down. There was a lengthy discussion recently in the United forum as more and more cabin crews request window blinds to be down even on daytime US-domestic flights.
Some people said they prefer this as it means less glare on laptop displays and hence better to work on the flight.

For me it depends on the flight. I don't need a dark cabin on a domestic flight, but on a flight from IST to SFO where there will be daylight for the entire 13 hrs flight, I prefer window shades down in order to get some sleep. Originating somewhere in Europe, I would have gotten up super-early and still have a few hours to kill after landing in SFO. Hence I usually try to get some sleep on the plane.
IST-DPS is similar. The flight departs at 1am so your body feels like sleeping - but daylight comes out already 2-3 hours after departure.

I spoke with a cabin crew member on a recent IST-SFO flight and they told me standard procedure is window blinds down after lunch (at least for flights like IST-SFO and also SFO-IST where daylight comes out after 5 hours).
Not wanting to start a discussion. But the dreamliner has the advantage of having different shades of darkness. Usually on a flight such as IST-DPS for instance I'll open the window for a few seconds just to see out and maybe snap a Pic and then close it again. But being in total darkness for 13 hours straight when it's light out would make me go crazy...
FEasy likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:25 am

Not wanting to start a discussion. But the dreamliner has the advantage of having different shades of darkness. Usually on a flight such as IST-DPS for instance I'll open the window for a few seconds just to see out and maybe snap a Pic and then close it again. But being in total darkness for 13 hours straight when it's light out would make me go crazy...
I think you should be fine. As @gr8pirate mentioned, the windows on the 787 are never completely dark. You can see outside. I am also not sure if the cabin crew "locked" the window shades in the dark position on our flight or if people sitting at the window just never opened them.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:52 pm

IST-MEX is en route but with a 77W
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus / Star Alliance Gold ; AY Gold / One World Sapphire; Sixt Platinum
On LOT's 787s, the windows of one seat operate in unison. So if you want to have a peek outside, you're opening all three next to your seat at once.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus / Star Alliance Gold ; AY Gold / One World Sapphire; Sixt Platinum
Slightly OT, but same here - I love the view. Another reason I keep the shades open during a day flight: getting as much sunlight as possibe helps me stay awake and adjust to a new time zone. I only sleep when it's actually night (i.e. dark outside, either on the flight or at my destination), and that works like a charm against any jetlag, even on short trips. If the whole cabin is zonked and prefers it that way, I can be considerate and open only one window partially (and glue my face to it) instead of all three or four. But I agree with you that it's not normal to impose darkness on all and ideally passengers should rely on facemasks if they wish to sleep through the day.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Bummed out that my IST-IAD has been swapped to a 330 on Sept 12 (looks like the swap is just from Sept 9-13). Of course TK won’t consider changing my booking to a different date or to the JFK flight which seems to be operating a 787 for that day without an exorbitant penalty and fare difference.

Hopefully my outbound next Thursday stays as a Dreamliner...
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: Star GOLD, EK SIlver
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If I'm not wrong, a few years ago, a Turkish businessman didn't want to close his window blind on a flight from IST to LAX while others were sleeping and a dispute occurred mid-flight and no one could make that guy close his window. It was upsetting that a pregnant woman was not able to sleep because of him.
Source in Turkish:

Edit: Found the image for the relevant news

personally i never understood people who need 100% silence and darkness in order to sleep... u live all ur life in Michael Jackson chamber or what? First of all if your body wants to sleep, you will sleep no matter what; second, when you are going for a flight, you are mentally prepared that you are not at home in your bedroom with your curtains, mattress firmness, pillow softness; third, you are given ear plugs and eye mask; fourth, why somebody should be concerned bout my comfort to feel uncomfortable
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+, Qatar Platinum
I find it much disturbing if the flight attendants switch on the cabin light more than two hours before landing to start preparing the breakfast in the galley. Just use the galley lights! On my next flight I will ask the purser to avoid that. Let‘s see what her/his reaction is.

And regarding the electronic shades: It makes perfect sense to switch them off centrally before landing. And on a night flight I also appreciate if they dimm the shades on the sunrise side of the plane. Not to sleep but to see something on the TV screen.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:44 am

Seat map problems

Anyone got update on the problem with the seat map and the all the blocked F seats?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by ekfb

personally i never understood people who need 100% silence and darkness in order to sleep... u live all ur life in Michael Jackson chamber or what? First of all if your body wants to sleep, you will sleep no matter what; second, when you are going for a flight, you are mentally prepared that you are not at home in your bedroom with your curtains, mattress firmness, pillow softness; third, you are given ear plugs and eye mask; fourth, why somebody should be concerned bout my comfort to feel uncomfortable
Some people have sleep disorders or medical conditions that mean it's not that straightforward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.