Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:39 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by googs185
I'm flying TLV-IST on Atlas in June. Will this flight likely land in ISL instead? I'll then be departing IST-JFK in June as well on TK. Will this flight go out of IST or ISL?
Nobody knows at moment I'm afraid.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Starting from today or yesterday ( not sure ), TK is now contracting the IGA Lounge instead of giving meal vouchers worth ₺70 to their eligible passengers on their international flights.
The IGA Lounge is now open and IGA had shared this on their official social media accounts.

Sinter likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:58 am

Has there actually been any official announcement of the move postponement? Does anyone happen to have a link?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by ddartt
Has there actually been any official announcement of the move postponement? Does anyone happen to have a link?
So far, no nothing. The NOTAM related to 1-2-3rd March 2019 is still in effect.
starflyergold likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
7 APRIL

?stanbul Havaliman? için yeni tarih: 7 Nisan 2019
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can already say that no one in the know believes that they will make any April date without any serious problems. My guess is that after the elections they will choose a suitable date, end of October, beginning of 2020, and just shoot for that properly. This is really getting tedious.
Ismilee likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:48 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
In English:
Istanbul’s new airport, which aims to become one of the world’s busiest, will not become fully operational until April 7, Hurriyet newspaper reported on Monday.The $12 billion project was declared open in October by President Tayyip Erdogan but only a handful of flights have been operating from the site since then......
https://www.reuters.com/article/turk...-idUSL5N20K5X7

And the revised transfer programme: https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.in...=headline_news

Last edited by starflyergold; Feb 25, 2019 at 11:55 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by hfly
I can already say that no one in the know believes that they will make any April date without any serious problems. My guess is that after the elections they will choose a suitable date, end of October, beginning of 2020, and just shoot for that properly. This is really getting tedious.
It must be hard on the airlines - when to schedule, which flights to cancel, whether to keep selling despite alll the proclamations... Any that are not making profit on their IST route would probably be better off canning it until there is certainty - i.e. after the move is finalised.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:29 am

Istanbul’s new airport will not become fully operational on March 3, 2019, as had been previously announced.

Turkey’s Hurriyet newspaper reports that the opening is now scheduled for April 7.

A soft opening was held in October 2018, but the full opening was postponed until January, and later March.

Airport operator IGA has not yet responded to a request for comment, but a source involved with the project confirmed to Business Traveller that there would be a delay. IGA says it will release more information soon.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...delayed-again/
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
When Istanbul Airport will become fully operational it goes without saying that THY will be very very dominant here. However, by April 7th TK will still not be very ready for the full scale pos. I'm not talking about the big TK Cargo Terminal that they need to build inside the Cargo City area; neither I'm talking about their CIP Lounges' readiness inside the Terminal. The brain of any airline is their Operations Center, that really handles many functions of the airline based in that airport and also the center that communicates with all the other facilities and authorities at that airport. Needless to say, this facility is loaded with tons of compu-ters and with a highly dedicated and complex network! TK is building its own dedicated Ops-Center in a totally separate and somewhat distant part of the complex and this building will never be ready and operational by April 7th. TK is now making use a small and temporary Ops-Center inside the Terminal and if they cannot move into their dedicated building, they will have to enlarge the temporary one and at a later date carry this Ops-Center to their own place. And they have to cross their fingers that nothing will go wrong during this re-location!...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:53 am

Rather selfishly, I'm hoping that the opening will be pushed back even more.

I'm flying with TK in mid-April to IST. I have a feeling the move is going to be a very difficult period.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Widebodies would operate Friday flights on the TK 2103/TK2124 Istanbul Airport - Ankara rotation until the scheduled movement date.

1 Mar - 777-300ER
7 Mar - A330-200
15 Mar - 777-300ER
22 Mar - A330-300
29 Mar - 777-300ER

All other dates within the winter schedule are scheduled to operate with A321-200 aircraft.
All other dates within the summer schedule are scheduled to operate with A320 aircraft.

In addition this rotation for 5 April is still open for reservations and scheduled to be operated with an Airbus A320. Probably, TK had forgotten to cancel this flight as the movement is now scheduled on 5-6 April instead of 6-7 April.
mafaky and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:45 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
On today's IST-WAW flight purser by mistake screened the ISL transit information video. One good piece of info: there will be a separate short connection transit security check, available only for those departing within the next 75 minutes.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:58 am

Update

First, it was October, then the end of December, then March 3 – the new, mega Istanbul airport has kept having the actual real opening moved (it is open for some flights now).

The New Istanbul Airport Has a New Opening Date – Again

There have been rumors about the different reasons why this opening has been delayed. As I wrote about recently, one of the strongest rumors indicated that the latest opening was delayed due to some politician issues. The political issues would be over by the end of March so this could be the reason for the newest Istanbul opening date.

According the reports, the giant 45 hour transfer from Ataturk airport to the new Istanbul airport will begin April 5. This means the actual giant opening of the new Istanbul airport will be April 7.

The transfer will begin at 3:00AM on April 5th and will conclude 12AM on April 7th. During the transfer time, the only airlines that will be allowed to operate out of both airports will be airlines that are based at those airports. Both airports will be reduced to 35 arrivals and departures per hour.

This means that you may want to check with your carrier if you were due to fly to/through Istanbul between April 5 – 7.

The New Istanbul airport is going to be handling about 90 million passengers annually and after completing the second phase, the estimates are for 200 million passengers.

Here’s hoping that the new Istanbul airport does open on April 7!
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
I don't know if this is just because they chose to have a shorter description or indicative of no direct lounge access at the new airport but thought I'd share this page from SkyLife without mention of business class entrance at Ataruk.

ISTFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.