Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
UPDATE: The official meeting has officially ended.

The authorities had decided to give a public speech on the 20th of February. For now, there is no change for the planned movement date.
However, if they won't be able to prepare everything until the 3rd of March, they would consider to postpone the movement to April.

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Feb 7, 2019 at 9:40 am Reason: vocab error
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Amazing knowledge and dedication to updating us all. Thanks @ISTFlyer
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:47 pm

Star gold lounge at new Istanbul airport

Hi

Does anybody know anything/have any pictures of the star gold lounge at the new airport? Their current one is my favourite lounge and wondering if they will beat this.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As the international lounge hasn't opened yet, there are no pictures of it. However, on the 15th of February the lounge would be opened to service but for now on, nobody does know which lounge would open to service as TK would have three different international lounges. Although, the Miles&Smiles lounge which would accept Elite & Star Gold pax would be the lounge having the lowest tier. The other two lounges would be the Business Lounge ( J class pax and Elite Plus ) and the exclusive lounge ( which no one has information about it ).
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a surprise.........You saw my post about 'by 17th of Feb' for the announcement? It is not going to be April. In April you are going to see another 10-20 flights, mostly added legs, then you have elections, et al, and it will go on the back burner because they do not want to jeopardize the summer schedule. It should be after the summer at the very earliest for full operations at the earliest, and could easily go into 2020. There is a reason why they allowed the gate expansion at IST 2-3 years ago, there is a reason they extended TV through late 2022 at IST, and there is even a reason that they seemingly repaved over 30% of the roadways at ISt over the last two weeks...............Because there are actually many pragmatic airport/aviation officials in Turkey that have known the realities of what was and is really possible. The shame is that had they just said and done late 2019, or sometime in 2020 as their real goal, as opposed to several dates in 2017, then 2018, now 2019, they would have seemed far more credible, and it would have been just as impressive a feat.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:29 pm

Hi there... quick what I believe is airport-move related question. We have flights from ATL-IST and IST-CMB on March 3/4/5. Both flight are no longer for sale (Says no seats if you try to book), but when I look at seat maps they are wide open with 80%+ looking empty. I'm concerned they have stopped selling the flights, but have not cancelled them yet. It looks like the flights on both legs are blocked out for about 7 days, including the flights I'm currently on.

We have about a month now until our trip. I'm concerned that as it gets closer our other options for rebooking on another airline get more limited. Any advice or suggestions from the group?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by hfly
What a surprise.........You saw my post about 'by 17th of Feb' for the announcement? It is not going to be April. In April you are going to see another 10-20 flights, mostly added legs, then you have elections, et al, and it will go on the back burner because they do not want to jeopardize the summer schedule. It should be after the summer at the very earliest for full operations at the earliest, and could easily go into 2020. There is a reason why they allowed the gate expansion at IST 2-3 years ago, there is a reason they extended TV through late 2022 at IST, and there is even a reason that they seemingly repaved over 30% of the roadways at ISt over the last two weeks...............Because there are actually many pragmatic airport/aviation officials in Turkey that have known the realities of what was and is really possible. The shame is that had they just said and done late 2019, or sometime in 2020 as their real goal, as opposed to several dates in 2017, then 2018, now 2019, they would have seemed far more credible, and it would have been just as impressive a feat.
Although some of your clauses does make sense, there's another side of the picture you overlook. That side is IGA (the BOTS Consortium...). They are gong to be financially squeezed. They started this project as 5 equal shared partners. Recently one of the more well known partners quit and they sold their shares yo one of the remaining for. Now there are "thick rumors" that another partner is going to sell their sahre. IGA needs a constant flow of hard cash from daily operations, in order to finance the remaining part of Phase 1 and that's the 3rd runway. Without that runway, the new facility cannot reach its projected 90-100 million pax capacity. Without that runway, particularly the domestic flights will still suffer some 15-20 min. taxi time for take-off and for landing. IGA has already transferred, directly or indirectly, quite a number of labor force from TAV at Ataturk AP. IGA is now paying a very considerable payroll to their employees, at the end of each month... All the companies who have already settled in for sales (duty-free, other sales, F & B) are urgently looking for shoppers; otherwise they will be spending monthly rental fees without any reasonable return. If what you predict happens (i.e full operations commence at late 2019 or even further ahead) these tenants will start to sue IGA, inevitably.

As for the limited flights option: At peak season Istanbul Ataturk sees (an average of) 1400 daily movements. What percentage of these can be shifted to ISL? For safety reasons (on the ATC side...), they need to keep it by 10%, so at some point of time ISL has to handle say max. 140-150 movements daily. So far all ISL outbound flights have been "additional flights" and not "transferred flights" from current IST. Say they add constantly 20 flights (in and out) every month and assuming they have around 40 as of today, in 7 months' time that quota will be utilised. But can these be any "transferred flights" from IST to relieve some pressure off from IST and also feed some blood to ISL? That is: March-April-June-July-August. So they have to make the full move in October, the very latest.

For what valid reason, TK still doesn't fly regular wide bodies out of ISL (even for domestic routes)? On 26th Jan (a Saturday) I flew from ISL to ESB in the morning and came back the same day on late afternoon. Both flights were practically 90% full in the economy section. Yes some of the prices are darn cheap, that may be one reason for the high load factor. But even if TK breaks even (hopefully) on those cheap prices, why don't they add a third service to ESB, a second service to ADB? After Jan 10th, they changed the schedules for the domestic flights to some odd hours simply to utilise a minimum number of aircraft (in conjunction with the international flights): is TK short of planes and/or crew?

And, after all, for which credible reasons will this movement be delayed until September 2019?

Many more questions can be asked...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
.....if they won't be able to prepare everything until the 3rd of March, they would consider to postpone the movement to April.
April of which year ?

I suppose a date in April 2020 would give the some breathing space ......
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: milesandsmiles
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
April of which year ?

I suppose a date in April 2020 would give the some breathing space ......
And you are saying this based on what? You are working ISL, any inside informations or just wishes?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by mesuttoker
And you are saying this based on what? You are working ISL, any inside informations or just wishes?
No employee at ISL/IGA would wish this postponement should ever happen (if its really going to happen!). They do need tons of hard cash, and this can start to flow only if the New Istanbul Airport can become fully operational (i.e. Ataturk's entire civil pax flights are transferred to the New AP). Last time, they quickly announced the new timing for the full operational date (i.e. March 3rd). This time they cannot; it's not irresponsibility but there must be some valid reason behind it. I'm trying to source some inside information, through our own staff working there (on a particular but very vital software application...). But they can only communicate with the IGA staff who seem to have sealed lips at the moment (and will likely remain that way, perhaps until Feb. 20th when this public announcement will be made...).

This "valid reason" may not necessarily be due to the construction side of the business or due to the hardware/software being employed. My two wild guesses:
a) There's still some valid resistance from THY side for a multitude of sub-reasons,,
b) There's something wrong regarding Uncle Sam's TSA Inspection (either this inspection is further delayed, or it has been already done but with negative results. So corrections have to be made, which will take some time. Let's be realistic: If TK cannot fly to North America from ISL, they cannot move out from Ataturk AP. Period!)
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mesuttoker

I have no wishes regarding IST/ISL other than an orderly, secure, clearly indicated and well-executed hand-over.

I'm pointing out in a tongue in cheek way that giving themselves some breathing space might help achieve these goals.

It's unfortunate that financial constraints and imperatives seem to be driving messy month by month push-backs, confusion and sinking credibility.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Adam Glickman
Hi there... quick what I believe is airport-move related question. We have flights from ATL-IST and IST-CMB on March 3/4/5. Both flight are no longer for sale (Says no seats if you try to book), but when I look at seat maps they are wide open with 80%+ looking empty. I'm concerned they have stopped selling the flights, but have not cancelled them yet. It looks like the flights on both legs are blocked out for about 7 days, including the flights I'm currently on.

We have about a month now until our trip. I'm concerned that as it gets closer our other options for rebooking on another airline get more limited. Any advice or suggestions from the group?
I have no problem booking those flights on 3MAR/4MAR respectively through TK website.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mafaky, we have discussed before, but it is my understanding that 1) IGA is getting some compensation, since October 29th, as the airport is "open". I understand that it is not everything, but it is something. 2) It is also my understanding that all those restaurants and shops that are open are fully stocked and ready not because they really expect business for quite some time, but to fulfill their contracts and precisely to demand compensation. If there is compensation that needs to be paid, it will be paid. I am sure that the remaining IGA consortium will find some magical way to extend or expand their financing in the same way that everyone seems to have done for this entire project thusfar.

As for those domestic flights that are "full", yes of course they are/were, 59TL each way? About $10 for many of the flights? Of course they were full. Also I had assumed by now that they had tested some widebodies, if they have not, that means that there are certain visual approach guidelines still not met at the new airport (similar to why RTE flew in for the first flight on a narrow body). This could mean a bunch of things, having to do with ATC equipment, or even approval from the Turkish air authorities, not clearing these types of planes. I do agree with another thing. NO ONE is talking, up until a month ago people "in the know" were quite free with their real opinions, and facts, now these same people will not comment.

Ultimately no one wants to kill or damage the "Golden Goose" which is Turkish Airlines. Which is fine, I like Ian want to see it all done well and not badly.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lufthansa has removed the name of Atatürk Airport for journeys after the 3rd of March;

This is how it looks on the manage my booking section. Only "Istanbul (IST)" is written instead of "Istanbul Atatürk Airport (IST)"

This is the screenshot from my e-mail confirmation. I have booked this ticket last week.

British Airways has also posted this two days ago ( Thursday ).
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s/public/en_tr -> Click New Istanbul Airport

However;

This flight still seems as Atatürk.

These are my remarks for the moment.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And in December various airlines for it wrong at various times, BA was almost comically large in getting its information wrong. SQ canceled flights late and kept them canceled, etc. It seems that some are worse informed than any of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.