Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I have explained before the cargo thing is asinine. According to their current "plan" they are going to run 20 or so cargo planes in/out of Ataturk (their fleet plus whatever DOD/Kalitta stuff they seem to be running the last year....who knows), and the other 300 or so A/C out of ISL, and transship between the two via road? How does that work when they promise the Perishable market 16 hour airport to airport Asia to Europa and under 24 hour between South America and Asia? Or a host of other "guaranteed" times that cannot be accomodated when you need to take palletized stuff off of a cargo a/c and put it on a passenger a/c? This simply cannot be done when you have to transfer the stuff 60 kilometers between airports, customs, issues, etc. A disaster waiting to happen.

Regarding catering, that whole thing has been a disaster, signing up SATS, to try and get a pre-payment, losing SATS, then going back to Do&Co (which they own half of) and not building any facility. The Do&Co Munich facility had to do what? 1,000 meals a day? and was located where, Unterfohring (or nearby). We are talking about the hub of the fourth or fifth largest airline in Europe currently at something like 100,000 meals a day out of Istanbul (over 205,000 systemwide).
mafaky and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
TK has no designation or class of service such as a PPS, or Concorde Room. My guess is that it will be just like the current "VIP lounge" which is used by all manner of Turkish government official, etc.
The VIP lounge is currently open and not operated by Turkish Airlines, it's being operated by IGA in a separate building near concourse G. There would also be a special terminal for VIP's having a private jet at the northwestern part of the airport territory. Uğur Cebeci ( Turkish aviation journalist ) also stated that there would be an executive lounge for passengers in one of his articles. I am sharing the link of the article below ( only in Turkish ). However, he hasn't gave any details about it.

Yeni CIP salonu dolanarak ula??l?yor - U?ur CEBEC?

However, this article in 2017 states that the exclusive lounge would be available for Elite Plus card holders only while traveling Business Class which sounds quite strange. The article could be outdated as it tells that there would be a separate exterior, however I couldn't see any other entrances than the terminal entrances, the CIP and the VIP. Maybe they would open this lounge below concourse A ( opposite to the TK Domestic Lounge ). Who knows?

THY, "Exclusive Lounge" konseptiyle ses getirecek
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club
... and also considering that it looks like the new airport has not in fact passed certain inspections yet, and the fact that in October and December they waited until less than 2 weeks before the date to postpone their big move, (As well as all the catering and Cargo issues that have gone nowhere), there will be no move of full operations on that date.
Well, this has been one more mentioning by yourself, that New Istanbul Airport has still not passed inspections by ICAO(perhaps), EASA and in particular by Uncle Sam's TSA. Or, in fact, none of these inspections have been made yet. Do you have any solid proof, about your claims?

I know that some inspections have already been made by IATA (and it was a bit weird to learn these were related to the fuel hydrant system. But maybe further inspections were also made...). I tried to check about TSA from the "inside" and the vague answer I received was "it's all in the pipeline... nothing to worry about!".

True, is that TK isn't currently flying to Canada, USA or Israel from this New Airport, yet, but starting on March 3rd: they will.

However, they are now flying to Paris, Munich, Frankfurt, Moscow and Gatwick already; so there should be no issues regarding EU and CIS.

Frankly speaking: I visited the New Terminal three times on the landside (as a "tourist") and I also further took two domestic flights (as a "passenger"). On all these occasions I used the IETT's public bus to reach the New Airport. As far as I can see, the security at the terminal looks pretty good (though it's hard to predict what kind of a mess may be expected when it will be loaded with top capacity at beg. March, if at all...) but the perimeter security looks totally missing. None of my busses was ever searched at the Main Entrance. I also couldn't witness if private cars or taxis being searched... There are tons of workers still shuffling around, with some kind of badges for ID. But I really couldn't see any preventive measures for disabling (and discouraging) a potential terrorist attack as it happened to Ataturk AP a few years' back. Besides, the New Airport's total allocated area is really big (around 76.5 km2) and I can't see any security measures for protecting the borders of this large area. It was previously measured that many advanced surveillance equipment plus a guard force will be doing this task, but so far these seem to be non-existent (at the least, to my old & bare eyes...)!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Still able to buy tickets from IST after March 3rd. Are we sure they are moving?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester
Still able to buy tickets from IST after March 3rd. Are we sure they are moving?
Well, by March 3rd the present day ISL will take over IATA code IST, and the present day IST will be allocated ISL. When checking (or buying any tickets) make sure to note the airport names...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by mafaky
Well, by March 3rd the present day ISL will take over IATA code IST, and the present day IST will be allocated ISL. When checking (or buying any tickets) make sure to note the airport names...
That is not clear from the tickets

Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
That is not clear from the tickets

It's pretty much clear: it clearly says "Atatürk AP", which is the present day IST. Funny or rather, confusingly mysterious. I can't really comment on it. The least I can say: the passenger will be reminded in some way that the airport will change to the new one say 48-72 hrs. earlier than the ticketed flight. And this reminder may also include info as how to reach the new facility and also warn the passenger to make it earlier than usual.

Now if you are holder of that ticket, I would be very precautious as how to react. Follow the agenda and daily press (if you can...). In EU, there are some strict rules that airlines have to follow and inform the passengers, in such cases. In Turkey, this may not happen (at the worst case!..), esp. for the domestic flights.

Last edited by mafaky; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:25 am Reason: info addition
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA/FAA have not happened yet. For all I know they are scheduled for tomorrow, and yes as we discussed, they were supposed to have happened in the summer and were put off, the reason being simply that the airport was not ready to receive them, but other excuses were given. It would seem that CAA has happened, finally, which is why the LGW flight was in question for awhile. There are in effect two issues here, are these visits scheduled (probably) and will the facility pass, and if it does not, how long will it take to remedy the issues (could be a day, could be a month).

The last time there was an issue, July15/16, 2016, when IST security was compromised due to tens if not hundreds of thousands of people swamping the airport, in response to the attempted coup, the TSA/FAA was able to be onsite within a week to inspect, recommend changes, and flights resumed 8 days later IIRC. So it can in fact be done quite quickly. This however is a new facility that has NOT been inspected and certified dozens of times before, so your guess is as good as mine.

Like you, I have been trying to get more information from people in the know, and the answers are "meh" at best. This among other things (such as seemingly repaving half of the roadways at Ataturk this past weekend ) makes me feel that sometime around the 17th of February excuses will be found and the move will be delayed until the end of Q3 (summer being too vital to screw up).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
I still think this gets pushed one more time until April 23rd for full operations... it just makes too much sense, though there certainly is pressure to go fully operational before elections at the end of March I imagine. Regardless, I'm working under the assumption my late May flight will be in to the new airport.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Sinter
I still think this gets pushed one more time until April 23rd for full operations... it just makes too much sense, though there certainly is pressure to go fully operational before elections at the end of March I imagine. Regardless, I'm working under the assumption my late May flight will be in to the new airport.
TK won't be able to get slots for European destinations after the 15th of March. For Munich, Frankfurt, Paris and London; they have asked for temporary slots, which they would use until the 28th of February and they are only able to extend their slot agreement until the 15th of March. With further negotiations they should be able to extend these slots until the end of the winter schedule. Definitely not for the summer schedule, especially for Gatwick where the number of flights significantly increase.

That is one of the reasons why they are doing everything to move to Istanbul Airport in March.
Sinter likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:47 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

However, this article in 2017 states that the exclusive lounge would be available for Elite Plus card holders only while traveling Business Class which sounds quite strange.
As (a selfish ) E+ who on TK flies only in C, I would not mind...
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As they were doing everything for October and for January, this slot thing is a canard.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:36 am

Like you, I have been trying to get more information from people in the know, and the answers are "meh" at best. This among other things (such as seemingly repaving half of the roadways at Ataturk this past weekend ) makes me feel that sometime around the 17th of February excuses will be found and the move will be delayed until the end of Q3 (summer being too vital to screw up).
Assuming they are going to cancel (many) flights on the 1st and 2nd March, I'd imagine they would need to decide if they go ahead or not by 15Feb at the latest to avoid paying the EU261 compensations (i.e. 2 weeks in advance)? They could say of course its extraordinary and outside their control and blah blah blah. But I'd imagine courts wouldn't buy it if they knew the move is happening for months, but they cancelled the flights less than 2 weeks in advance...
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.internationalairportrevi...go-operations/

According to the news article linked above, Turkish Cargo would move their operations to Istanbul Airport on the 2nd of March, which would be on the same date with the movement of passenger operations.
However, in the past, it had been announced that the movement of cargo operations would be transferred to Istanbul Airport, few months later than the transfer of passenger operations.

Erteleme olacak m?, 3 Mart'ta aç?lacak m??

And, according to the link above ( Turkish only ); today ( 6 Feb ) there would be a critical meeting about the movement to Istanbul Airport. The meeting would start at 14:30 ( GMT +3 ) so tomorrow is the date if the movement would be confirmed or it would be postponed again.
mafaky and Alexandros Bravos like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FLA? | ?stanbul Havaliman?'na ta??nma yine ertelendi

A postponement to April is now being considered. I would share updates as I obtain them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.