Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
Interesting... I always have a feeling non-Turkish airlines are prioritized in IST. In the afternoon, I always see gates 210-220 assigned to all sorts of Saudias, Turkenistans, Uzbekistans, Mahans, Qeshms, Asemans - while my packed B77W from ORD gets the bus gate. BA, LH, KL (non-nightstoppers) also often get jetty gates.

Naturally I do not have any scientific data - this is just my observation...

This is all very OT, though...
That's true that the carriers of the Mesopotamian region and the Middle East always gets a jetbridge. I have flown QR several times in the last years and never got a bus gate. Same for my trip to Lebanon which I chose to fly with MEA. Same for EK as well. It's also true that the non-nightstopper EU carriers gets a jetbridge. On the other hand at IST, there are only 9 gates that could handle 777-300ER aircraft. These are gates 208,209,218,219,226,227,228,229 and 230. In addition gates 205, 212, 214, 216 could also handle A330 aircraft. ( Didn't count 101 which is at the domestic terminal ). As there are around 11 transatlantic flights ( + the Phuket flight ) around 14:00-15:00 and wide body flights to high density European destinations such as LHR, CDG, FRA, MXP, MAD, BCN, AMS, CPH... These 13 gates aren't enough for wide body aircraft. That's why 3-4 of the transatlantic flights are always assigned to a remote gate.
I have listed today's wide body flights from 13:00 to 15:30 and their gates below for a possible research.

J2 76 to GYD -> 205 (788)
TK 33 to IAH -> 208 (77W)
TK 79 to SFO -> 209 (77W)
TK 172 to HKT -> 212 (333)
EY 96 to AUH -> 214 (333)
SV 258 to MED -> 216 (333)
QR 240 to DOH -> 218 (359)
TK 5 to ORD -> 219 (77W)
TK 1985 to LHR -> 226 (77W)
TK 17 to YYZ -> 227 (77W)
TK 9 to LAX -> 228 (77W)
TK 1 to JFK -> 229 (77W)
TK 7 to IAD -> 230 (333)

Widebody bus gates

TK 351 to ALG -> 301 (343)
TK 1827 to CDG -> 302 (333)
TK 1527 to DUS -> 303 (333)
TK 1593 to FRA -> 304 (333)
TK 1555 to HAJ -> 305 (333)
TK 1663 to HAM -> 307 (333)
TK 1953 to AMS -> 310 (333)
TK 108 to MED -> 312 (333)
TK 1971 to LHR -> 700 (333)
TK 1859 to MAD -> 706 (333)

Note that the Atlanta, Miami, Boston, Montreal flights doesn't operate on Thursdays.
mafaky likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:28 pm
tcm

Was looking forward to this new airport for many years. Having done several flights to/from ISL, and even though much still needs to be done, I feel rather underwhelmed. The airport operators (had a chance to meet one of the main architects) and TK have different agendas (naturally) and seem to lack syngergy. Hope the experience on the ground will be worthy of being TK's hub and offer some innovative fresh product/solutions. My anticipation is that Do&Co will come up with some good ideas. Fingers crossed...
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Anyone know if there is any realistically chance international flights will start flying by the end of the March from new airport? We need to book flights LJU-HRG-LJU for May and it still says all flights will go thru IST. I know that someone wrote here that no way they will be able to do this in the first part of this year but I found on one web page flights will start in March.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:04 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by TM78
Anyone know if there is any realistically chance international flights will start flying by the end of the March from new airport?
The answer is no, nobody does.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Originally Posted by starflyergold
The answer is no, nobody does.
Like I thought so.

They will notice us if there will be any change anyway when we will have tickets booked.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
It may not be directly related to TK, but I have noticed a video on YouTube that has some parts of the new lounges in ISL. The lounge which has furnitures and has videos of the interior is the IGA Lounge which probably airlines except Star Alliance members would contract. The concept is similar to the Oryx Lounge in Doha. The area on top of the duty free in 0:30 would be one of the Turkish Airlines Lounge's, however I don't know if that area is going to be the Elite & Star Gold Lounge, the Elite Plus & Business Lounge or the Premium Lounge.

mafaky and Alexandros Bravos like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TM78
Anyone know if there is any realistically chance international flights will start flying by the end of the March from new airport? We need to book flights LJU-HRG-LJU for May and it still says all flights will go thru IST. I know that someone wrote here that no way they will be able to do this in the first part of this year but I found on one web page flights will start in March.
Well the "neat trick" is that once the new airport is deemed fully operational, the IST code will shift to the new airport. I'll defer to those who have actually flown through the new airport already, but I'd venture most here would assume at least 1 more delay until late April/early May before the full switch over.
TM78 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:47 am

TK168 - March 2nd

Hello, I have a flight leaving Hanoi on march 2nd, when the definitive airport change is supposed to happen. When I check my booking on TK website it says everything is ok with the booking, but when I use the TK booking tool to find a flight from Hanoi to Istambul on the same day, it returns no results, as if there is no flight on that day (or as if the flight was fully booked) Do any of you have any ideia what's going on?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superikarus
Hello, I have a flight leaving Hanoi on march 2nd, when the definitive airport change is supposed to happen. When I check my booking on TK website it says everything is ok with the booking, but when I use the TK booking tool to find a flight from Hanoi to Istambul on the same day, it returns no results, as if there is no flight on that day (or as if the flight was fully booked) Do any of you have any ideia what's going on?
At the moment, there is no definite answers for the date of the grand movement to ISL. That's why TK still sells flights departing/arriving on 1-2 March. As the Hanoi flight arrives in the morning ( in your case March 3rd ), your flight won't be cancelled due to the movement. There is a plan that longhaul aircrafts would depart from IST and go to their destinations, return the next day and land to new IST ( current ISL ). The flight is fully booked when I looked at expertflyer. It's useful to wait until the move-in date would be announced officially. Then, if your flight would be affected, you would be able do to changes and cancellations for free.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by Sinter
Well the "neat trick" is that once the new airport is deemed fully operational, the IST code will shift to the new airport. I'll defer to those who have actually flown through the new airport already, but I'd venture most here would assume at least 1 more delay until late April/early May before the full switch over.
Well, TK's Chairman (Mr. İlker Ayci) has indicated that the big bang and final move will happen by the beginning of March but still he didn't put in very strong words like "it will definitely happen!". Instead he used much softened phrases that can be interpreted as "we are trying to make it happen at the beginning of March..."

It will perhaps be more logical and convenient if they still postpone this big move to the beginning of S19 Timetable, which starts on March 25th.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:46 am

In the recent opening ceremony of Uni-Free Duty-Free Stores complex in (New) Istanbul Airport's Terminal, GM of DHMI, Ms. Funda Ocak declared that the big bang relocation of Atatürk Airport will be finalised by 3rd March 2019, and from this date onwards all commercial passenger flights will be made from the New Istanbul Airport. Ataturk Airport will still be functional for the all cargo flights (for some period of time), MRO facilities of THY & OnurAir (possibly for a longer period of time), most (if not all) General Aviation operations for Istanbul's European side and will also host several annual aviation related trade shows and similar events. Also, DHMI's ATC Center will still remain at Ataturk AP till 2022-2023. She made no specific reference about the conversion of Ataturk AP to "people's park", "aviation university" or the like. She mentioned, the long-awaited relocation was a bit delayed till March, for eliminating any adverse effects due to winter weather.

Here's the link in Turkish:
?stanbul Havaliman?'n?n tam aç?l?? tarihi belli oldu - Sondakika Ekonomi Haberleri
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:54 am

Are there any lounges open yet on ISL ? I'm thinking of flying from there to see the new airport.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Sander Sikkema
Are there any lounges open yet on ISL ? I'm thinking of flying from there to see the new airport.
To be on the safer side, plan your trip via ISL (to become IST, at that date) not in March, but during April or for the better, during May.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:29 am

It's odd because it seemsTK flights departing from Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo on march 2nd are all fully booked. That doesn't happen with flights departing from Manila, Phuket, Beijing, Xangai and Seoul.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by mafaky
To be on the safer side, plan your trip via ISL (to become IST, at that date) not in March, but during April or for the better, during May.
Well, I'm going to Istanbul next week. I saw some good priced tickets from ISL to ESB and thought maybe I'll take this flight. Would be nice if I could visit a lounge as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.