Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 19, 19, 2:34 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Wiki Link
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/euro...er-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 11, 19, 3:02 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I hope Iíll never beat that record.
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:29 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
I had to pleasure once of a 50 minute taxi time - which came on top of what was already an hour or so delay. Not cool on an already tight connection having to run at the airport (which is also seriously hot - even the gate agents are all sweating it out, let alone how you look like yourself when having to run to the furthest gate possible).

I didn't think an airport could be worse than AMS and its infamous Polderbaan, but IST does really try hard. Other than the taxi times and the sweaty indoor temperatures I don't actually have much complaints of IST as an airport and general operations. It's a pleasant place in general!
SFOTraveler1984 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Some very "interesting" approach patterns again at IST the other day. My question to the more knowledgeable people on this topic: Is that normal? I even saw some planes doing a holding pattern quite low and shortly before the runway.
For some reason I only see these crazy patterns at IST...

Old Aug 9, 19, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
I had to pleasure once of a 50 minute taxi time - which came on top of what was already an hour or so delay. Not cool on an already tight connection having to run at the airport (which is also seriously hot - even the gate agents are all sweating it out, let alone how you look like yourself when having to run to the furthest gate possible).

I didn't think an airport could be worse than AMS and its infamous Polderbaan, but IST does really try hard. Other than the taxi times and the sweaty indoor temperatures I don't actually have much complaints of IST as an airport and general operations. It's a pleasant place in general!
Oh no, is the AC really that bad? Much worse than Ataturk (which was pretty bad)? When I went through in late May, it was okay but I remember thinking that IST looked like a tough place to cool down and not seeing too many vents... What a shame for such a beautiful and impressive building. There really is no excuse for poor cooling in 2019.

My taxi times have so far been okay (20 minutes or so). Hopefully that 3rd runway will be completed on schedule.
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by PerStockholm View Post

Oh no, is the AC really that bad? Much worse than Ataturk (which was pretty bad)? When I went through in late May, it was okay but I remember thinking that IST looked like a tough place to cool down and not seeing too many vents... What a shame for such a beautiful and impressive building. There really is no excuse for poor cooling in 2019.

My taxi times have so far been okay (20 minutes or so). Hopefully that 3rd runway will be completed on schedule.
I did transit the airport around 12+ times so far, and on half the occasions it really was sweltering inside. And I was far from the only one thinking this as I had some fun chats with gate agents thinking exactly the same. Mind you, these were mostly trips in May and June - but bizarrely during my last two visits in July I found it much more bearable and I didn't arrive at the connecting gate all sweaty. I still cannot really put my finger on what the exact issue is.. some days the AC works better than others? IST has improved recently? It all depends on some weather circumstances like exact angle of the sun and not on outside temperatures? I really don't know!
Old Aug 9, 19, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984 View Post
Some very "interesting" approach patterns again at IST the other day. My question to the more knowledgeable people on this topic: Is that normal? I even saw some planes doing a holding pattern quite low and shortly before the runway.
For some reason I only see these crazy patterns at IST...

Seems pretty normal to me. Coming often from the North, there are also similar holding patterns above the Black Sea.

On one of my latest flights into IST (a Saudia flight from JED) I had a very similar holding pattern above Koceali as seen as on the picture above, making a turn around the Eastern (Asian) boroughs of Istanbul only to head south again flying basically over the Bosphorus towards the Sea of Marmara, only to do another 180 degree there to the right to align for a southerly runway approach.
Old Aug 9, 19, 3:23 pm

I did transit the airport around 12+ times so far, and on half the occasions it really was sweltering inside. And I was far from the only one thinking this as I had some fun chats with gate agents thinking exactly the same. Mind you, these were mostly trips in May and June - but bizarrely during my last two visits in July I found it much more bearable and I didn't arrive at the connecting gate all sweaty. I still cannot really put my finger on what the exact issue is.. some days the AC works better than others? IST has improved recently? It all depends on some weather circumstances like exact angle of the sun and not on outside temperatures? I really don't know!
fingers crossed then that they improved the AC
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:24 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by PerStockholm View Post
fingers crossed then that they improved the AC
Indoor temperature felt all right to me 4x in July.
PerStockholm likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 5:52 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Somewhat interesting obs on taxi times at IST during the recent TK earnings conference call:
...About the taxi times and fuel consumption during taxi, our -- yes, they are increasing in the new airport and they are roughly consuming 20% more cost as compared to the AtatŁrk Airport. However, total flight times and fuel consumption is not increasing, though, since the landing and takeoff times are shortened with the availability of 2 parallel runways.According to the latest sample data that we have, we expect about 1% to 2% fuel saving in Istanbul Airport operations, but this is something we will be able to see with a full year of operation.Once the third runway is completed, which we expect that to take place by the middle of next year, we expect further improvements on the taxi times. The issue with the taxi times is, as both runways on one side of the airport, the taxi times for mainly domestic flights are relatively longer than the international ones.But the third runway is going to be -- is currently being constructed on the other side of the terminal, which is going to decrease the taxi time significantly....
PerStockholm likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada Altitude (E50K)/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Bonvoy (Platinum Elite), IHG (Gold Elite)
Haven't been to the new IST yet, but my understanding is that for departures, entrance door 5 is the the fast track entrance/TK business entrance and if I am Star Alliance Gold I can use it even if flying economy, correct?
Old Aug 11, 19, 5:36 pm

Programs: AY Platinum; TK Elite Plus; QR Silver
Originally Posted by 42000ft View Post
Haven't been to the new IST yet, but my understanding is that for departures, entrance door 5 is the the fast track entrance/TK business entrance and if I am Star Alliance Gold I can use it even if flying economy, correct?
Not sure about the number, but you are correct in that you can use it even if flying economy.
42000ft likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by deleter View Post
Not sure about the number, but you are correct in that you can use it even if flying economy.
Door No. 5 is correct!
42000ft likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
%90 of the time, all entrances should be empty so using door 5 won't differ unless in rush hour.

When I use door 5, I always say Elite Plus and the attendant over there says thank you and I pass.
Until today, only once, I was asked to show my physical card at the checkpoint and that was at Turkish holiday season.
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
For those pax without status or flying in business it be be useful to know that the lGA lounge (airport operator) has joined Priority Pass

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...stanbul-101019
Old Oct 10, 19, 2:36 pm

Taxi Time at The New Istanbul Airport

I have flown a few times to the new airport. Once on my IST-DPS inaugural 787-9 flight, and the other was the flight coming back from DPS-IST also on 787-9. Also some other short-haul flights - I did notice that the taxi each time took at least 30 minutes even without any congestion. I wonder if it's built into the padded schedule. Because even with long taxi, it seems like the flights always arrive ahead of schedule.

Search this Thread