Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and my point was that I cannot think of any airport where normal passengers can use such buggies anywhere in the World.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by dutchgirlDH
that depends. but my question was whether one can use the buggies and I guess the answer then is no.
My dad was only slightly infirm/clumsy when he fell at MUC after a longhaul flight and that started a long downward spiral in his health.

If your folks aren’t as surefooted/conditioned as they once were, I’d get them wheelchair/buggy assistance if they aren’t too stubborn to accept it.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by hfly
and my point was that I cannot think of any airport where normal passengers can use such buggies anywhere in the World.
BKK?
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
sure but they are not that infirm and that would feel like abusing a system which is meant for those truly disabled.
I’m not sure why those who know how the system works are so resistant to answering your question. It really doesn’t matter why someone wants to use a buggy, surely? They are there for the convenience of those who wish to pay for them.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
sure but they are not that infirm and that would feel like abusing a system which is meant for those truly disabled.
Many people in Turkey abuse the wheelchair ( mobility ) service. I even know people who ask for a mobility service, not to wait at passport control, security, etc... TK doesn't ask for any medical document related to the disability. However, PC, KK and some other Turkish carriers ask for a valid document that would prove the disability.

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

My dad was only slightly infirm/clumsy when he fell at MUC after a longhaul flight and that started a long downward spiral in his health.

If your folks aren’t as surefooted/conditioned as they once were, I’d get them wheelchair/buggy assistance if they aren’t too stubborn to accept it.
He is completely right to ask a wheelchair ( mobility ) service. However, in IST, the buggy service is not a service for passengers with disabilities. It's a privileged system for who pays and it's not operated by the same company who provides the mobility service.

In Atatürk, the situation was the same, Primeclass operated the buggy services for their members and for those who will to pay.

The situation that people is confused is that they are mixing "free transportation for disabled people on accessible vehicles provided by municipalities" and UberWAV. In the example that I provided the buggy service is equivalent to UberWAV.

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA

I’m not sure why those who know how the system works are so resistant to answering your question. It really doesn’t matter why someone wants to use a buggy, surely? They are there for the convenience of those who wish to pay for them.
Completely agree.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheetah, we answered the questions and gave the proper answers, if thetre is a vanity or pride issue, that is really not "our" problem. As IST points out, TK is pretty good with their mobility service, for those that need it (although rumor has it that over 100 of the workers have quite in the last month at the new airport because there are not enough Segway type wheelchairs, and the workers are/were worn out with the manual ones.

The issue here is that this person seems to be asking for a paid buggy service for free, which does not exist anywhere on Earth for normal passengers for the entire run from the gate to the exit, or check-in to gate. By normal passengers I am referring to regular economy passengers with no status, between ages 15-65, without infirmities, not traveling with young children, etc. You might occasionally have a buggy for a SPECIFIC long run (i.e. at DXB for the under runway run to Passport control seemingly for anyone that needs it), but this person is repeatedly asking for something at IST that no one provides anywhere........and then finds that strange.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:27 am

Heathrow T2 in the tunnel between the 2A and 2B?

Old May 10, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No Cheetah, sorry but I have gone T2A-B at least one hundred times and back since it opened, and while there are buggies, they are for elderly and infirm, in any case, even if that was the case, that would fit into the "specific long run" that I identified before.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:26 am

No Cheetah, sorry but I have gone T2A-B at least one hundred times and back since it opened, and while there are buggies, they are for elderly and infirm, in any case, even if that was the case, that would fit into the "specific long run" that I identified before.
Not entirely sure what you are saying. Is it available to anyone or not? In the same sentence you manage to say categorically that it is only for the elderly or infirm - but also that, if that’s not the case, it is in your special category of “specific long run”. You can’t have it both ways. One of your statements is, therefore, demonstrably false.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it would seem that you are very confused by something so simple. There is no free buggy service available to each and every passenger that wants one between LHR 2A and 2B, it has never existed and it does not exist, nor will it exist. There are buggies, and you often see them and they are for either the ill, old, very young, or they are for Premium passengers (when SQ flights are operating for example, they will have one or several waiting with a sign saying that they are for Premium pax). Then I gave you a hypothetical, which I guess I have to spell out to you DOES NOT ACTUALLY APPLY TO LHR T2, where I spoke about long straight runs, like DXB, where at times "normal" pax can use a buggy service, on such runs they DO NOT take you to your gate, do not take you from Security and DO NOT take you to Passport Control, or anywhere else, but just up and down a straight run (such as T2, but not at T2) and not a foot further. Is that so hard to understand?
Old May 27, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Had the perfect approach to the new airport today with an aerial tour of the old one

Old May 27, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do NOT understand that approach pattern that they have been using, it would be far more efficient to just come horizontally over the Marmara and then land rather than go up to the Black sea, across the Asian side, along the Bosphorous, and then straight in rather than the stepback pattern that they have often been doing, if for no other reason that it goes over some of the most expensive real estate in Istanbul, and one of the supposed "perks" of the new airport was that it was supposed to get rid of this flight route............
Old May 27, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
I do NOT understand that approach pattern that they have been using, it would be far more efficient to just come horizontally over the Marmara and then land rather than go up to the Black sea, across the Asian side, along the Bosphorous, and then straight in rather than the stepback pattern that they have often been doing, if for no other reason that it goes over some of the most expensive real estate in Istanbul, and one of the supposed "perks" of the new airport was that it was supposed to get rid of this flight route............
A matter of congested airspace hence the need to keep aircraft separation I would assume....
Old May 27, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
cabs to new airport

From the downtown/old town location of the Doubletree to the new airport took 45 min at 10 am on a weekday. Not half bad. We did have a very savvy driver who knew every alley in Istanbul. The only concern was how long we sat on the tarmac waiting to depart.

We should all take pictures of the new airport surroundings and drag them out in 10 years to compare!
gr8pirate likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I have now used the new IST twice.

What is going on with the ridiculous long taxi times? Both times we were routed around the south end of the eastern runway pair. Our taxi was about 30 minutes yesterday departing to SFO.
buffegg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.