Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 19, 19, 2:34 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Wiki Link
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/euro...er-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 8, 19, 1:56 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by hanpe View Post
Presently (3rd day of ops at the new airport) I notice a partly significant time gap (delay) between the publishes TK-t/o-times out of IST and their actual "wheels-off" time at the runway. Now, I know that the published t/o-times only reflect the time when an aircraft is leaving the parking position (pushback, etc.). On flightradar24 you can see that ist takes about up to 30-60 minutes until the relevant TK flight out of IST is actually airborne. For an example, the long range Asien TK-flights from last night: nearly all their flights where airborne more than 40 minutes behind the published time. I assumed with the new airport it should not take more than 20 minutes from pushback to get in the air. I remember very well at Ataturk (last week!!) when you sit in an aircraft ready for departure having 12 others in queue ahead of you waiting to get airborne. That could easily add another half an hour or so to your journey. I assumed this congestion effect will be diminished or even elliminated with all that space at the new airport and, hopefully, an enhanced air traffic control perfomance (airspace structure, etc.).

Would be interesting to know if the wide time span results from leaving the parking position late for whatever reason, or from congestion at the apron or in the air, or a combination of this. And is this an effect of the first days which will be reduced once they gained routine in their TK-ops at the new IST?

Interesting: TK-inbounds for new IST are mostly on time or ahead of schedules (with exceptions of course).
Arriving in last night from London and departing to Manila, there does seem to be a lot of taxiing required. I arrived and departed at a quiet time, so it was not down to congestion. They must have set routes to take whatever the time of day. It felt like we were circling the terminal, it took that long. My flight is showing an arrival delay of 35 minutes at the moment, so we did not lose that much.
hanpe likes this.
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by stfods View Post
I've just arrived to Istanbul International with the first scheduled flight from JFK (THY4).
Unfortunately, all the passengers had to pass security.
In the past it wasn't the case and we weren't supposed to re-clear when arriving from US/Canada/Schengen countries. Also, there's no fast line for TK*G for connections, just for passport control.
Maybe it's just the first days..
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
I came in from London last night with a connecting flight. We were separated for direct entry to the departure area in the same was as it used to be in Ataturk.
A bit of conflicting information here

I hope at the end all EU/UK/USA/Canada flights do not need to reclear security while transiting, that would be a good thing.
Old Apr 8, 19, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
According to this shared photo at Foursquare, from now; Turkish Airlines would have a special template on Business Class passengers' boarding passes.

Old Apr 8, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: OWE(BA),*A G(TK E+),Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
According to this shared photo at Foursquare, from now; Turkish Airlines would have a special template on Business Class passengers' boarding passes.
The business stamp has been there for years,as long as I remember.
Old Apr 8, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Jaenks View Post
The business stamp has been there for years,as long as I remember.
Not the stamp, the black template at the back.
Old Apr 8, 19, 3:45 pm

Programs: OWE(BA),*A G(TK E+),Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Not the stamp, the black template at the back.
Got it. That previously was red and written Business. Now same color as business cabin luggage tag.
Old Apr 12, 19, 1:47 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
The big mess with the move like many were talking before did not happen. Everything went smooth.

Congratulations TK and IGA.
Old Apr 12, 19, 2:40 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by northernstar84 View Post
The big mess with the move like many were talking before did not happen. Everything went smooth.

Congratulations TK and IGA.
I agree, whilst slightly delayed and with a heavy human costs, operations appear to be surprisingly smooth. As airport transfers go this quite an achievement.
Old Apr 12, 19, 6:22 pm

Still delays on departure. Up to 55 min even now in the middle of the night!
Old Apr 13, 19, 6:25 am

Time to get from gate to past customs

Hi,

I willbe having a 9hr layover but with the delays in landing, its likely only 8hrs.
How long would it take to pass custom's?
Also I am flying Business, is there an easier way to pass customs ?

From the folks experience on this thread, is it achievable to have atleast 2 hrs in the city ? I will be booking a special car service to/from aiport.
Any thoughts, recommendations is much appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited by avrionis; Apr 13, 19 at 6:39 am
Old Apr 13, 19, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by avrionis View Post
Hi,

I willbe having a 9hr layover but with the delays in landing, its likely only 8hrs.
How long would it take to pass custom's?
Also I am flying Business, is there an easier way to pass customs ?

From the folks experience on this thread, is it achievable to have atleast 2 hrs in the city ? I will be booking a special car service to/from aiport.
Any thoughts, recommendations is much appreciated.
Cheers
Hi and welcome to FT,

First you need to clear customs and immigration only if you intend to enter Turkey ( similar to European countries and the opposite of North American ones ); yes, there is a fast track lane at the arrivals level at Istanbul Airport. Check for the Turkish Airlines Fast Track point which may be confused with the IGA Fast Track Point ( pay to use service ). By guessing that you are not a Turkish citizen, it would take 10-15 minutes max in the fast track lane and up to an hour ( or more in peak hours ) at the regular lane. However, if the airport is empty during your arrival, you would have the luck to clear immigration within 5 minutes.

If you have a 8 hour layover, it's technically possible to spend 3h 30mins in the city in case your inbound flight doesn't have a major delay.
1h Airport at arrival
1h Transportation to City
-- 3h30 City Time --
1h Transportation from City
1h30 Airport at departure

Also it's non sense to book a private car transfer at Istanbul Airport as they overcharge tourists, which you won't realize unless you have basic knowledge about Istanbul. I would advise you to take a taxi which would take no more than ( 150₺ + toll = around $30 one way ) or take the Havaist shuttle to Sultanahmet which would be much more convenient and cheaper than using a taxi. If you want a more luxurious option to go to the city use the black taxis ( luxury taxis ) which would cost the double of a regular yellow taxi. Also be aware that there are no fix prices for taxis in Istanbul and a taximeter is used, be aware that city taxis could also try to scam tourists and ask a fix price of 40-50 ( even more ) for a ride to the airport. However, you won't have issues with the airport taxis. For more suggestions what to do in Istanbul, you are welcome to write in the Europe forum or contact myself via private message on the website.
Old Apr 13, 19, 2:19 pm

Thanks so much for the info, and yes I am not a Turkish citizen.
Old Apr 13, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Do they still produce catering in the old IST facility and transport it to the new IST?
Old Apr 13, 19, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by tobiashenry View Post
Do they still produce catering in the old IST facility and transport it to the new IST?
Yes, that is true.
Old Apr 14, 19, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Oh dear. Somebody over on the BA forum is not at all impressed by the new airport ... or, indeed, by Turkish Airlines.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30998682-post177.html

Search this Thread