Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
So Piper, you essentially agree with everything I wrote?
Always agree with you my friend. Esp. that it’s weird that a *A airlines has a non-*G lounge. Also LH FCT is a similar thing so not 17 years.

But as Starflyergold suggested lets get back to the thread topic.

I have a couple of questions. Obviously from the thread it’s not yet clear who has access to which lounge. I’m traveling through IST in May and this should be all sorted out well before then. And I’m hoping the new lounge(s) are every bit as awesome as the old one. Doesn’t make sense to have 3 different lounges and make them all *G lounges though.

Is the hotel up yet? I heard that the hotel will be airside this time so no immigration to clear. Is that correct? I have a 7.5 hour layover in IST so getting a room would be wonderful. Also I had asked this in a different thread. But if I have 2 people on the same PNR are they entitled to only 1 room or can they get 2 rooms?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

Always agree with you my friend. Esp. that it’s weird that a *A airlines has a non-*G lounge. Also LH FCT is a similar thing so not 17 years.

But as Starflyergold suggested lets get back to the thread topic.

I have a couple of questions. Obviously from the thread it’s not yet clear who has access to which lounge. I’m traveling through IST in May and this should be all sorted out well before then. And I’m hoping the new lounge(s) are every bit as awesome as the old one. Doesn’t make sense to have 3 different lounges and make them all *G lounges though.

Is the hotel up yet? I heard that the hotel will be airside this time so no immigration to clear. Is that correct? I have a 7.5 hour layover in IST so getting a room would be wonderful. Also I had asked this in a different thread. But if I have 2 people on the same PNR are they entitled to only 1 room or can they get 2 rooms?
Unfortunately, I am also waiting to see which lounge I could use on my flights. I think the Star Gold stickers have been mis-printed and would be changed before the movement. Also there is no certainty how many of the lounges would open. AFAIK, the Business and the Miles&Smiles Lounge would be ready and the arrivals lounge and the Exclusive Lounge would open in a future date. Also the Elite Plus&Business section of the domestic lounge would also open with the movement.

The YOTEL is ready at the moment, they would open the YOTEL next week. You don't need to clear immigration to access the YOTEL. If you want guarantee your place in the YOTEL, you are welcome to do that by your own expense. If you are talking about the free hotel for 7h+ stopovers for Business Class pax, there is no certainty if TK is going to contract YOTEL or they would still bus passengers to a hotel near Atatürk Airport. If you're not relatives with the other passenger, you might get a second room; however, if you have the same last name, you might not. I don't know the procedure for that. Be aware that all free hotel services must be booked prior to arrival by e-mailing the respective hotel desk. The e-mail address is in the WIKI of the FAQ: Hotel thread. Just ask separate hotel rooms for each passenger.

In my opinion, TK won't contract YOTEL as YOTEL would probably seek for passengers who are OK to pay €70 for 4 hours and €210 per day. TK could continue to maintain their agreement with 4 star hotels around the old airport which the actual nightly price for those hotels are max €79 and think that TK pays them in advance for a much lower rate.
mafaky and PiperAtGatesofDawn like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately, I am also waiting to see which lounge I could use on my flights. I think the Star Gold stickers have been mis-printed and would be changed before the movement. Also there is no certainty how many of the lounges would open. AFAIK, the Business and the Miles&Smiles Lounge would be ready and the arrivals lounge and the Exclusive Lounge would open in a future date. Also the Elite Plus&Business section of the domestic lounge would also open with the movement.

The YOTEL is ready at the moment, they would open the YOTEL next week. You don't need to clear immigration to access the YOTEL. If you want guarantee your place in the YOTEL, you are welcome to do that by your own expense. If you are talking about the free hotel for 7h+ stopovers for Business Class pax, there is no certainty if TK is going to contract YOTEL or they would still bus passengers to a hotel near Atatürk Airport. If you're not relatives with the other passenger, you might get a second room; however, if you have the same last name, you might not. I don't know the procedure for that. Be aware that all free hotel services must be booked prior to arrival by e-mailing the respective hotel desk. The e-mail address is in the WIKI of the FAQ: Hotel thread. Just ask separate hotel rooms for each passenger.

In my opinion, TK won't contract YOTEL as YOTEL would probably seek for passengers who are OK to pay €70 for 4 hours and €210 per day. TK could continue to maintain their agreement with 4 star hotels around the old airport which the actual nightly price for those hotels are max €79 and think that TK pays them in advance for a much lower rate.

Yes I was referring to the 7+ hour complimentary hotel facility for TK J pax. Thanks for the tips. I’ll make sure I email in advance for the hotel.

I was going through the TK FAQ and they said that both J & *G pax access the Business lounge. But from different sides - E1 & C1. No where in the FAQ did they describe access or eligibility for the M&S lounge. Of course they’re not even talking about the Exclusive lounge as yet.

Is the M&S Lounge only for TK elite? It’s identical in size to the Business lounge and right beside it.

Finally - what are the PP lounges in new IST? When are they going to be operational?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

Yes I was referring to the 7+ hour complimentary hotel facility for TK J pax. Thanks for the tips. I’ll make sure I email in advance for the hotel.

I was going through the TK FAQ and they said that both J & *G pax access the Business lounge. But from different sides - E1 & C1. No where in the FAQ did they describe access or eligibility for the M&S lounge. Of course they’re not even talking about the Exclusive lounge as yet.

Is the M&S Lounge only for TK elite? It’s identical in size to the Business lounge and right beside it.

Finally - what are the PP lounges in new IST? When are they going to be operational?
The entrance for the Miles&Smiles lounge is across gate E1 and the entrance for the Business Lounge is across gate C1. Probably a mistranslation that all TK*G pax could access the Business Lounge. The Turkish version of the FAQ indicated that J class would be admitted to the Business Lounge, while TK ELIT, TK ELPL and *G would be admitted to the Miles&Smiles lounge. The exclusive lounge could be accessed from the elevators near the entrance of the D concourse.

The M&S Lounge would be open for TK Elite's, Elite Plus's and Star Alliance Gold pax on all *A carriers. This lounge would have a lower concept than the Business Lounge.

None of the other lounges ( contract ) have announced if they are going to accept PP yet.
The IGA Lounge would be operational after the movement and the SkyTeam lounge should be operational as well. These two lounges would probably be the PP lounges for this airport, however, IGA might not accept PP at the first plan in order to sell their IGA Pass membership program or make people pay €59 for entry and SkyTeam could determine hours for PP access.
I don't think the Emirates Lounge would be open for paid entry on other carriers and lounge memberships.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:08 pm

The entrance for the Miles&Smiles lounge is across gate E1 and the entrance for the Business Lounge is across gate C1. Probably a mistranslation that all TK*G pax could access the Business Lounge. The Turkish version of the FAQ indicated that J class would be admitted to the Business Lounge, while TK ELIT, TK ELPL and *G would be admitted to the Miles&Smiles lounge. The exclusive lounge could be accessed from the elevators near the entrance of the D concourse.

The M&S Lounge would be open for TK Elite's, Elite Plus's and Star Alliance Gold pax on all *A carriers. This lounge would have a lower concept than the Business Lounge.

None of the other lounges ( contract ) have announced if they are going to accept PP yet.
The IGA Lounge would be operational after the movement and the SkyTeam lounge should be operational as well. These two lounges would probably be the PP lounges for this airport, however, IGA might not accept PP at the first plan in order to sell their IGA Pass membership program or make people pay €59 for entry and SkyTeam could determine hours for PP access.
I don't think the Emirates Lounge would be open for paid entry on other carriers and lounge memberships.
Thank you!

TK seems to have messed this up in translation....

28. How can I access the international terminal lounge?

Our Business Class passengers can access Business Lounge from the stairway located at the opposite of E1 boarding gate in International departure level.

Our Elite, Elite Plus and Star Gold cardholder passengers can access Business Lounge from the stairway located at the opposite of C1 boarding gate in International departure level.

Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold

Yes I was referring to the 7+ hour complimentary hotel facility for TK J pax.
Bear in mind that as I reported in a separate thread TK are increasing the number of hours to qualify for the hotel to 9+ for Biz pax and 12+ for pax in Economy from the date of the move onwards.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoweyB

Bear in mind that as I reported in a separate thread TK are increasing the number of hours to qualify for the hotel to 9+ for Biz pax and 12+ for pax in Economy from the date of the move onwards.
For now, it it's still 7h+ for J and 10h+ for Y. They haven't updated their website yet so for all pax intending to transfer 7h-9h on J and 10h-12h on Y should e-mail faster as they could to get a confirmation mail and keep it for their records. It's commonly seen that you could get different answers for the same question from Turkish Airlines which one could be misleading.

The increase in the hours to qualify could mean that there would be more sleeping rooms in the new Exclusive Lounge and the new Business Lounge. However, this means that no sleeping room for Elite Plus when flying Y in the new airport unless TK understands their mistake to allow Elite's and Elite Plus's to the same lounge in the near future.
mafaky likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the off chance that someone at TK is reading this: Why on Earth would anyone want to be Elite Plus anymore? One of the few solid benefits, especially for those IST based was to get direct access to the lounge? Not only has that seemingly gone out the window now, but it would also seem that Elite Plus members can only access the "super duper" lounge when flying in Business Class, which they could seemingly ALREADY do, because it is a Business Class lounge?!?!? So the only benefit is one RT upgrade every year? A few more kilos of baggage?

AFAIK, TK currently has something like 8,000 Elite Plus members. About 60% are Turkey based. Believe it or not about 10% fly primarily Domestic flights. So if one surmises that the average TK Elite Plus member flies 20 RT's per year (40 flights), and that half of those actually use the int'l lounge(s), we are talking about perhaps 110 Elite Plus passengers using the lounge each and every day. Let's pretend that 25% bring a friend or family member, its less than 137 per day, or less than 6 per hour on average. And I am not even counting the fact that probably half of these again are actually traveling Business Class anyway, so we are talking about less than 3 Elite Plus passengers per hour (yes obviously there are more at "banks" however, even if they all came in two waves it would be less than 30 at any given time. This is ridiculous!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
That seems odd. My other FFPs treat their higher status passengers (alliance passengers included) rather better than business-class passengers - at least in terms of lounges. I guess they feel that very frequent travellers carry more long term value than the ad hoc business traveller.

Perhaps TK simply feels put upon by too many of its elite Elites travelling in economy
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That seems odd. My other FFPs treat their higher status passengers (alliance passengers included) rather better than business-class passengers - at least in terms of lounges. I guess they feel that very frequent travellers carry more long term value than the ad hoc business traveller.

Perhaps TK simply feels put upon by too many of its elite Elites travelling in economy
It seems to be the trend lately - just look at Polaris lounges of United, or Signature Suite lounge for Air Canada - which are restricted to business (and above) class passengers only (AC excludes miles tickets as well).

As First class seems to go the way of the Dodo, business class is de facto the highest class and airlines aim to provide higher level of service starting on the ground.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
What's the entrance policy for the Exclusive Lounge?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyjfk
What's the entrance policy for the Exclusive Lounge?
No official announcement from TK yet. Neither Mr. Bilal Ekşi ( CEO ) or Mr. İlker Aycı ( Chairman of Board ) told the entrance policy on their statements that they have introduced and talked about the exclusive lounge.

AFAIK, from an insider source, the entrance source would be flying on TK ( international flight ) J and holding an Elite Plus status. An article back in early-January 2018 stated the same thing; but it doesn't sound realistic to me.
mafaky likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
It seems to be the trend lately - just look at Polaris lounges of United, or Signature Suite lounge for Air Canada - which are restricted to business (and above) class passengers only (AC excludes miles tickets as well).

As First class seems to go the way of the Dodo, business class is de facto the highest class and airlines aim to provide higher level of service starting on the ground.
QR Doha Al Mourjan lounge restricted to QR J passengers, even upgrades are no longer allowed (part of reason why I moved to TK)
First class lounge for OW emerald and non QR J pax, business class lounge for OW sapphire, both rather ordinary lounges.
I never very much liked Al Mourjan lounge: too much of a hospital feeling, very much enjoyed TK IST lounge, hope I will not regret that lounge...
mafaky likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
The old lounge was my favorite world wide. I already miss it!!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Karen2
The old lounge was my favorite world wide. I already miss it!!
The new ones would be better than the current one so you would probably forget about the one at the old airport unless you have special memories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.