Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:07 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Wiki Link
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.

For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/euro...er-thread.html

starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

Before writing your specific case below, please read these instructions ( FAQ's ). All basic questions should have an answer here.

Question 1: Which airport is my flight going to depart from?
All flights with the airport code 'IST' would depart from Atatürk Airport until 6 April 2019 02:00 local time. After a 12 hour transition period, after 6 April 2019 14:00 local time, all flights would depart from Istanbul 'New' Airport.
For flights with the airport code 'ISL' bookings are open until 5 April 2019 and these flights would be operated from Istanbul 'New' Airport.
Question 2: What would happen if my flight is during the transition period?
Turkish Airlines had contacted all the affected passengers by 11 March 2019 and offered a rebooking within the airline or a free cancellation. Due to ATC restrictions for the first two weeks after the movement, some flights may be cancelled during this period as well. Rebookings are made through the availability of TK flights and most operating flights on 4-7 April 2019 are already fully booked. Just be aware that TK would not rebook you to another airline including Star Alliance partners.
Question 3: Would TK would provide me a hotel room because I was entitled for a long layover due to the transition period?
Free hotel eligibility is determined by a case to case basis. Please contact the hotel department allocated to your country to get more information. E-mail addresses could be found in the Free Hotel thread.
Question 4: If TK provides me a hotel room, would it be at the airport hotel 'YOTEL' or a hotel far away from the airport and would I need to buy a visa/e-visa depending on my nationality?
For the moment there is no official agreement between Turkish Airlines and YOTEL. You may be booked to a room in the YOTEL, however, you could also be bussed to a hotel which could be far away from both airports. If a hotel room would be provided to you, you would need to get a visa from your the Turkish embassy or apply to an e-visa depending on your nationality.
Question 5: How could I get to Istanbul 'New' Airport without my personal vehicle or paying a lot of money for a taxi?
​​​​​​​
There are bus services from Başakşehir, Halkalı, Mecidiyeköy districts as well as from the domestic arrivals level of Atatürk Airport. Also 19 different lines of coach buses would operate from different areas from the city to Istanbul 'New' Airport. For coach bus services, you could visit hava.ist . For now on the schedule would not be accurate for a date later than 5 April.
Question 6: Which entrance should I use at the new airport for a more convenient experience?
Turkish Airlines passengers are advised to use entrance 2 for domestic flights, entrance 3-4 for international flights and entrance 5 for Priority passengers. Domestic priority passengers could also use the separate direct lounge entrance which is located at the arrivals level outside of the terminal.
Question 7: How would the lounge system work in Istanbul Airport?
For domestic passengers, passengers could use the outside entrance which is located at the arrivals level of the terminal. However, there is also an entrance to the lounge across from gates G6 and G7. There are no signs of the lounge within the domestic terminal so follow signs to gate G6 to locate the elevator leading to the lounge. There would be two different sections for Classic Plus&Elite&Star Gold&Turkish Corporate Club and Elite Plus&Business Class.
For international passengers, there would be three different concepts of lounges;
Miles&Smiles Lounge: Access for Elite and Star Gold passengers on all TK and Star Alliance flights.
Business Lounge: Access only for Business Class passengers and Elite Plus card holders on only TK flights. This lounge is not a Star Alliance Gold lounge.
Exclusive Lounge: No idea about the entry requirements. Section would be updated soon.
There would be no direct lounge access from the check-in area, however, there would be a priority lane for passport check and security controls.
There would also be an arrival lounge for eligible Business Class passengers and Elite Plus card holders.

I would update this section if I think of more questions and answers. You are also welcome to edit this section.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 13, 19, 11:28 am

Programs: Multiple
Originally Posted by flyjfk View Post
I just had my last flight from Ataturk yesterday, and bid farewell to a greatly functioning lounge and airport

I can't believe they'll close this airport instead of using it for a while for at least some regional routes (like Haneda, Gimpo, La Guardia etc.) It's just very sad...
They have SAW on the Asian side which makes LaGuardia's delays seem tame in comparison (especially during the summer). No real need to operate two European side airports, and I believe they would run into flight path issues if they tried to keep it open.
Old Mar 13, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: MM silver, Flying blue Platinum, A3 gold
I have to be in Istanbul April 5th. From April 6th till 8th there is not even one flight to the airports that I usually use: LJU, ZAG and GRZ. Just amazing. I found one flight on the 6th to VIE. Price: more than double from usually...
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:25 am

I'll be flying into and out of Istanbul in late June. My departing flight is out of Atatürk on TK Business to JFK. One of the big reasons I flew business was to try TK's famous business-class lounge. Will my flight definitely be out of the new airport by June based on the new announcement, and if so, is the new lounge going to be completed and as nice as the lounge in Atatürk?
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by googs185 View Post
I'll be flying into and out of Istanbul in late June. My departing flight is out of Atatürk on TK Business to JFK. One of the big reasons I flew business was to try TK's famous business-class lounge. Will my flight definitely be out of the new airport by June based on the new announcement, and if so, is the new lounge going to be completed and as nice as the lounge in Atatürk?
Your flight will go from the new airport and the lounge photos seen so far doesn't look even close as cool as the old lounge. Happily I've been there last week again to say good by to the loved lounge.

By the way the already started to remove stuff from the Atatürk lounge. For instance the pianos are gone.
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:32 am

I hope you realize that your question is a bit silly as of today, all our glass balls are under repair..

With your flight still being far into the future, why don't you just wait till early April to see whetever the move happens, and what the facilities offered will then be?
Old Mar 15, 19, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
I hope you realize that your question is a bit silly as of today, all our glass balls are under repair..

With your flight still being far into the future, why don't you just wait till early April to see whetever the move happens, and what the facilities offered will then be?
I know. I was just so excited to try that TK lounge. I heard it was the best in the world and it was one of the reasons I booked business on TK.
Old Mar 15, 19, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by amigoflyer View Post
Your flight will go from the new airport and the lounge photos seen so far doesn't look even close as cool as the old lounge. Happily I've been there last week again to say good by to the loved lounge.

By the way the already started to remove stuff from the Atatürk lounge. For instance the pianos are gone.
Are they moving the stuff to the new lounge? I was SO excited to try the old lounge for the first time. It's our first trip to Istanbul and one of the reasons we wanted to fly home in Business on TK was to experience what I've heard is the best lounge in the world. I'm so disappointed. So the new lounge isn't as big and will be nothing like the old lounge? Can you link to the most current photos of the new lounge?
Old Mar 15, 19, 7:36 am

Anyone have information on transportation from the new airport to the European side of the city? We were originally supposed to land in June at IST and were going to take the train. Will there be buses? What will travel time be like?
Old Mar 15, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Anyone have information on transportation from the new airport to the European side of the city? We were originally supposed to land in June at IST and were going to take the train. Will there be buses? What will travel time be like?
The new airport is also on the European side of Istanbul.

No trains to the city, but bus shuttles/cabs.
Old Mar 15, 19, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by axxoo25 View Post
The new airport is also on the European side of Istanbul.

No trains to the city, but bus shuttles/cabs.

Bus routes
Old Mar 15, 19, 4:29 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, TK M&S Elite, KE SkyPass Club, PC Bolbol, KK Clsc, LCAccor Clsc, HHonours Blue
Are they moving the stuff to the new lounge? I was SO excited to try the old lounge for the first time. It's our first trip to Istanbul and one of the reasons we wanted to fly home in Business on TK was to experience what I've heard is the best lounge in the world. I'm so disappointed. So the new lounge isn't as big and will be nothing like the old lounge? Can you link to the most current photos of the new lounge?
There would be three different lounges in Istanbul Airport, each in different concepts and different eligibility. As some of the Turkish Airlines administrators stated this year, the new lounges would have everything that there is in the lounge in Atatürk. The lounge in Atatürk would be similar to the new Miles&Smiles lounge which would allow all Miles&Smiles Elite or above, Star Gold and TK and *A Business Class passengers. However, the other two lounges would be more luxurious than the current lounge. They are the Business Lounge which Miles&Smiles Elite Plus and TK Business Class passengers could enter. There would also be an Exclusive Lounge but there is no idea about the eligibility and what they are going to offer. The only available photos are at Bilal Ekşi ( TK CEO )'s twitter account and I have linked that post somewhere in this thread. If you don't want to waste your time just visit Bilal Ekşi's official Twitter account.

Just be aware that until the lounges are opened to service, you would be handed meal vouchers worth ₺70 per person which could be used at any food retail outlets after the security checkpoint. However, at least one of the lounges would be ready in June 2019.
Old Mar 15, 19, 5:10 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
you would be handed meal vouchers worth ₺70 per person which could be used at any food retail outlets after the security checkpoint..
I presume this happens at checkin. Do you have any insight as to what happens for transit Elite passengers? I have 2 Istanbul transits over the coming months.

Thanks for all your information throughout this process.
Old Mar 15, 19, 5:35 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, TK M&S Elite, KE SkyPass Club, PC Bolbol, KK Clsc, LCAccor Clsc, HHonours Blue
Originally Posted by sydunipete View Post
I presume this happens at checkin. Do you have any insight as to what happens for transit Elite passengers? I have 2 Istanbul transits over the coming months.

Thanks for all your information throughout this process.
For know on the transfer desks are not ready, when I arrived from Ercan to Istanbul Airport last Wednesday morning. TGS ( Turkish Ground Services ) agents were guiding international transfer pax to an open door that led passengers from the arrivals to the departures level. Also international-domestic transfers had a special immigration desk in the normal immigration queue which an agent opened the one of the locked gates for connecting domestic passengers. There are temporary service desks around the terminal for the moment. After the grand movement, probably all transfer security checkpoints and service desks would be opened. This time TK would have a service desk at the entrance of all concourses. If you would need a meal voucher ( if closed during your travel ) probably someone would be there at the lounge lobby checking your eligibility and handing meal vouchers. For Istanbul origin passengers, meal vouchers are given at the check-in desks. Kiosks does not work for the voucher so you would be asked to proceed to a staffed desk.

My next travel(s) from Istanbul Airport ( ISL to become IST ) would be on early-May so I won't be able to report everything on the spot in April but probably someone would give feedback about the process at the airport.
sydunipete likes this.
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Global Entry, Nat'l ExeElite, Marriot Platinum, SPG Platinum Premier Elite, Hilton Gold,
We are traveling business class on TK and have a 9 1/2 hour layover in IST on 11 April & 4 hrs on 23 April 2019. Now there wont be any lounges (arrival or departures) for our use during this transit?
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:54 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by northsideguy View Post
So I have a 9 1/2 hour layover in IST on 11 April & 4 hrs on 23 April, and there wont be any lounges (arrival or departures)?
One of the contract lounges "IGA Lounge" would open with the movement. During my visit, I have noticed that the SkyTeam Lounge was also ready. I think that these lounges would both offer access to major credit cards and Priority Pass.

However, construction is still going on in the Business Lounge which could be partially opened at that date but the Miles&Smiles Lounge seemed that it needed a lot of work when I visited the international departures hall this Tuesday. I have no idea about the Exclusive Lounge. Also there are no signs for the Arrival Lounge so I won't be able to comment on that until I see any signs about the lounge.

In my opinion, one of the three scenarios be followed,

1- The Business Lounge would be opened on 6 April and all passengers including Elites and Star Golds on all *A carriers would be admitted to this lounge until the Miles&Smiles Lounge is ready. Other *A carrier pax may be denied throughout the capacity problem.
2- The Business Lounge would open to service on 6 April and only admit Business Class passengers and Elite Plus passengers due to capacity reasons. Elite and Star Gold pax would be handed vouchers and other pax on other *A carriers would be auto-denied due to *A protocol permits denying other carriers' passengers due to several reasons including capacity. Meanwhile, other *A carriers would contract either the IGA Lounge or the SkyTeam Lounge.
3- None of the lounges would be ready and partially open after the movement. All eligible passengers would be handed meal vouchers.

For your first leg you would also eligible for a hotel but I am not sure if your route permits a free hotel stopover neither if the HotelIstanbul process would continue after the movement to Istanbul Airport.

Search this Thread