Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by dabee69
I have a flight on April 6 to SIN. I'd be willing to bet 1:10 that I will be flying out of old IST airport or stranded.
Me too! Or cancelled...
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I just booked IST to FCO on TK for April 30 and got noticed that we would fly from the new airport. Does anyone know if there are any hotels out in the wilderness? This really screws up my trip to the airport, much as I am curious about the new one. I did so love the lounge in the old one. Had I known this may all be up in the air (pun not intended) I would have tried to book a hotel a lot closer, if there is such a thing. And, then, what are the chances that they will not be ready in time for my flight? Wishing now we were flying from SAW. SAW is amazing since my last flight from there 5 yrs ago when there were hardly any hotels.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:14 pm

I'd REALLY wait.. chances are pretty high you'll fly off the old airport..
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Have a flight connecting through ISL next week: LGW-ISL-ADB. Looking forward to seeing the new airport. Have a few questions that I am hoping more experienced TK travellers might have the answer to:

- reading the above, it appears the TK domestic lunge at ISL is open. Will I have access with *G?
- do I need pick my bag up at iSL, or will I be able to clear customs at my final destination, ie ADB, following the domestic flight?

Many thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Dan72
Have a flight connecting through ISL next week: LGW-ISL-ADB. Looking forward to seeing the new airport. Have a few questions that I am hoping more experienced TK travellers might have the answer to:

- reading the above, it appears the TK domestic lunge at ISL is open. Will I have access with *G?
- do I need pick my bag up at iSL, or will I be able to clear customs at my final destination, ie ADB, following the domestic flight?

Many thanks.
- Yes, the domestic lounge is open. You would be able to access the lounge with your *G card. Just clear domestic security after arriving from your international flight and then follow the signs to gate G6-G7. You would see the elevators leading to the lounge. Be aware that there are no signs leading to the lounge inside the domestic departures area (airside).
- You would claim your bags at Izmir, but at the international terminal and clear customs there. ( Of course if both of your flights are on the same ticket ).

However, if you are returning from ADB to LGW via ISL in a later date, be aware that you won't be able to print your boarding pass at Izmir as UK is a destination that requires extra security. So you would need to exit the domestic terminal, head to check-in island K where dedicated Gatwick counters are located. They are opening 3 hours before the LGW flight. Both the transfer desks and the domestic-international transfer paths are closed at the moment. Also as TK contracts the IGA Lounge or gives meal vouchers for international flights ( not sure which one ) so ask for your lounge voucher while checking-in for your Gatwick flight. The contracted lounge may not accept access via only the boarding pass.
Dan72 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Bilal Ekşi ( CEO of TK ) has shared some photos from one of the new international lounges, on his personal Twitter account.

Cheetah_SA, cln, vincewy and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turkish Airlines now indicated that all flights starting from 6 April 02:00 ( Turkey Local Time ) would be operated from Istanbul Airport in the main page of their website. Some flights are closed for reservations and passengers who are contacted are request to change their travel dates or cancel their bookings free of charge. For the moment, rebooking through ESB, AYT or SAW is possible for the moment however, rebooking through another airline is NOT POSSIBLE. People who choose to avoid traveling from Istanbul during those transition dates should cancel their bookings and book flights from another airline by their selves on their own expenses.

I think that they are going to release a public statement in few days to give more details about the "Great Move" or this time IATA went over Turkish Airlines and asked to cancel their flights during the transition period. For the past intended movement dates foreign carriers were advised to cancel their flights during that period, however, TK has not and they have stolen all those passengers of foreign carriers by not cancelling any flights and operating all of their flights.
mafaky likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I'll be flying through IST April 20th and May 5th, the sooner I know where I'll fly through the better. Where to stay in Istanbul is 1 thing, also taking train from Ankara or flying is also the dilemma. I'm ok with either 1 but the uncertainty is killing me.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Interesting... on the TK website it now also says "Due to our move to our new home Istanbul Airport, cancellations have occured on some of our flights between 5-20 of April 2019. For further information you can visit our flight status page ( https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...tus/index.html ) ."

The website isn't very useful though, as it only allows you to check the flight status for the next 2 days %-)

Would be interesting to understand the scale of those cancellations...
Ismilee likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
Its on like donkey kong...

Ismilee likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincewy
I'll be flying through IST April 20th and May 5th, the sooner I know where I'll fly through the better. Where to stay in Istanbul is 1 thing, also taking train from Ankara or flying is also the dilemma. I'm ok with either 1 but the uncertainty is killing me.
If you would spend your whole time in Ankara, directly connect to one of the flights. However, if your schedule requires you to both stay in Ankara and Istanbul. For the domestic leg, I would use the train as it is much more convenient. However, due to the train extension in Istanbul the train schedule is not presice yet. However, depending on your hotel chain or district that you prefer and schedule ( for a more detailed look, you could send the relevant info via private message ), I could tell you the option that would best fit to your schedule.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
From today I can see in our booking that we'll be flying to and out of new airport. Maybe the big move will happend before summer.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Interesting... on the TK website it now also says "Due to our move to our new home Istanbul Airport, cancellations have occured on some of our flights between 5-20 of April 2019. For further information you can visit our flight status page ( https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...tus/index.html ) ."

The website isn't very useful though, as it only allows you to check the flight status for the next 2 days %-)

Would be interesting to understand the scale of those cancellations...
Said to be (by unconfirmed insider sources from TK) these cancellations will be substantial: around 4000 flights in and out, for the next two weeks, say till until April 20th...
SFOTraveler1984 and Sinter like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:46 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by buffegg
Its on like donkey kong...

Seems to be true...I was able to cancel my flight without any fees or penalties, as it's during the great move. I will miss that fabulous TK lounge at Ataturk Airport!!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have edited the WIKI of this thread to provide FAQ and answers related to the movement and the new airport. Please read that section before asking about your specific case. If you don't find an answer for your issue there please share your situation. By the way, you could also edit the WIKI if you want to contribute the FlyerTalk community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.