Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Please note that this thread discusses only TK operations from the new airport. There will be no discussion of the politics involved. These can take place in OMNI PR. Anyone interested in general issue surrounding the new airport may find these in the "Europe" forum. The usual FT rules apply.
For a general discussion about the airport, not related to TK, please visit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html
Lounge questions have now a dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1963594-tk-istanbul-airport-thread-2-lounges.html
starflyergold
TK forum moderator

-----------------

This is the list of all Istanbul Airport threads where you could find more details related to your question if it's discussed in one of the forums below.

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #1 - General Discussion ( YOU ARE HERE )
This is the thread that you could ask your questions about the airport related to Turkish Airlines which doesn't have a dedicated thread. For example questions about check-in desks, the Miniport service, fast-track security, care points, etc... could be asked here if they are directly or indirectly related to TK.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges
This is the thread dedicated for lounges and questions about the TK lounges at Istanbul Airport. Sleeping rooms in the lounge could be discussed in the third thread as it's mainly related to longer connections. Please do refer to the respective threads in the Europe forum for other contract lounges at Istanbul Airport and PriorityPass lounges.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
This is the thread for passengers booked a long connection. The thread has a guide that would give basic information about the free city tour, the stopover hotel option for eligible passengers as well as the sleeping rooms in the lounges in Istanbul Airport. For issues onlyrelated hotel suggestions refer to the Europe forum.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #4 - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Airport
This is the thread were you could ask your questions about any type of transfer at Istanbul Airport. Such as what to do within a xxx hour layover, or facilities at the transfer area directly related to transit issues. Also questions related to transfer security, immigration in single/seperate tickets could be discussed here. As well as what to do in case of misconnections. The transfer hotel where passengers could access by paying: YOTEL has a dedicated thread where you could find here.
TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #5 - Miles&Smiles Card Pickup at Istanbul Airport
If you want to pickup your Miles&Smiles card in Istanbul Airport, please consult this thread where you would be able to find the locations of the card print points for Miles&Smiles members.

There are also threads not only related to the TK pax but to all passengers traveling from Istanbul Airport. These take place in the Europe forum.

Istanbul Airport Master Thread
For any question related to the airport instead of TK ( facilities, pay-to-use services not related to TK, transportation, rental car services, hotel services, non-TK lounges ) please consult this thread in the Europe forum. Also please discuss, Flightradar24 related ADS-B issues, delays related to the airport here, unless it's a direct TK issue.
PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport
There is no PriorityPass Lounges at Istanbul Airport at the moment. However, I would update this thread when there is an available lounge for PriorityPass at the airport.

I (ISTFlyer) have removed the FAQ's as they are now all answered in the respective WIKI sections of the respective forums.
Print Wikipost

TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by hfly
Mafaky, we have discussed before, but it is my understanding that 1) IGA is getting some compensation, since October 29th, as the airport is "open". I understand that it is not everything, but it is something. 2) It is also my understanding that all those restaurants and shops that are open are fully stocked and ready not because they really expect business for quite some time, but to fulfill their contracts and precisely to demand compensation. If there is compensation that needs to be paid, it will be paid. I am sure that the remaining IGA consortium will find some magical way to extend or expand their financing in the same way that everyone seems to have done for this entire project thusfar.

As for those domestic flights that are "full", yes of course they are/were, 59TL each way? About $10 for many of the flights? Of course they were full. Also I had assumed by now that they had tested some widebodies, if they have not, that means that there are certain visual approach guidelines still not met at the new airport (similar to why RTE flew in for the first flight on a narrow body). This could mean a bunch of things, having to do with ATC equipment, or even approval from the Turkish air authorities, not clearing these types of planes. I do agree with another thing. NO ONE is talking, up until a month ago people "in the know" were quite free with their real opinions, and facts, now these same people will not comment.

Ultimately no one wants to kill or damage the "Golden Goose" which is Turkish Airlines. Which is fine, I like Ian want to see it all done well and not badly.
Well we all mutually have a common understanding: if something is going to be done, it has to be done in the proper, engineered, totally safe way - therefore according to the book!

Let me clarify a few points in your above message:
1) IGA is not receiving any compensation; they will be receiving compensation (practically on 31.10.2019) Therefore they have to earn as much hard cash as possible today and in the yearly future.
2) I agree with you that IGA manages to get additional credit, as and when they are short of funds: but from today onwards they may not be granted easy credit lines from Banks. Though, hidden, under-the-table "supposedly Governmental" (or rather, "Presidential" financial support is not impossible...).
3) So far there has been 4 occasions when TK wide bodies have carried passengers:
a) The first ever commercial flight (but I think all pax were TK's free-of-charge guests) on 31st October, by a 77W from ISL-ESB.
b) The return of this flight on the same day.
Note: If I'm not mistaken, the 77W wasn't docked to a jetway on these two occasions.
c) An ISL-ESB flight on 13th Jan., by a 333.
d) An ESB-ISL flight a couple of days ago by a 332.
Note: I believe these were docked to the jetways.
4) The reason why President Erdogan arrived aboard a State Fleet's 318VIP (June 22nd, 2018) may not be due any particular restrictions for wide bodies at ISL, at the said date. He was coming from a propaganda meeting at an Anatolian Town and was time-restricted (had no time to come to ESB and change planes...), and that town's airport couldn't handle wide bodies. On the "so called" opening date of Oct.29th, 2018 he arrived from Ankara aboard a State Fleet's 345VIP. I don't recall if any TK wide bodies landed at ISL on that particular day. But possibly these were all visual landing and tower assisted flights...

I humbly suggest that we all wait until Feb. 20th, when they will have to announce if there will be any further postponement or not. I've been talking to our chaps in the "field" (i.e. stationed at Istanbul Airport) and they insistently say "everything is being planned and progressed for March 3rd ops.!) but as I already told you that their sole source of info are the IGA guys. They also couldn't dig out anything regarding TSA inspection, at all...
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:34 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by mafaky
I humbly suggest that we all wait until Feb. 20th, when they will have to announce if there will be any further postponement or not.
Now that is a very good suggestion.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:09 am

May I suggest something else? As usual, this topic is going off-topic in the recent pages as what we are discussing is mostly not concerned with TK (or other airlines') operations from the current ISL but cases like the postponement of the big move, etc.

1) First I suggest that this topic's headline is changed to "TK and Other Airlines' Operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka....", since in the near future (sooner or later!) airlines other than TK will be joining in.
2) Second, and with higher importance, someone eligible starts a new topic such as "Facilities, Infrastructure and Performance of Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)" where we can discuss the non-flight operations and the infrastructure of the new facility. These discussions and the provided info may be a bit limited to the current Main Terminal facilities, etc at the beginning but I believe there will be new subjects and additions on the short term... I have things to post on this scope and I really don't want to spoil this particular thread with those useful info.

Thank you.
M. A. Y.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:32 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by mafaky
May I suggest something else? As usual, this topic is going off-topic in the recent pages as what we are discussing is mostly not concerned with TK (or other airlines') operations from the current ISL but cases like the postponement of the big move, etc.

1) First I suggest that this topic's headline is changed to "TK and Other Airlines' Operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka....", since in the near future (sooner or later!) airlines other than TK will be joining in.
2) Second, and with higher importance, someone eligible starts a new topic such as "Facilities, Infrastructure and Performance of Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)" where we can discuss the non-flight operations and the infrastructure of the new facility. These discussions and the provided info may be a bit limited to the current Main Terminal facilities, etc at the beginning but I believe there will be new subjects and additions on the short term... I have things to post on this scope and I really don't want to spoil this particular thread with those useful info.

Thank you.
M. A. Y.
1. This is the TK forum so let's focus on this. Folks can comment on other airlines' operations or more generally in the Europe forum (I gather the airport is already being discussed there).
2. Sure but they should mainly relate to TK, i.e. lounges, fast track, other TK facilities such as hotel desk or similar.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
This time my post would be directly related to TK operations from "Istanbul Airport" aka Istanbul New Airport (ISL/IST)

Several flights from Istanbul Airport ( ISL ) would have aircraft ( equipment ) changes.

From now on,

1- Tbilisi flights which are operated daily, would be operated with a Boeing 737-800 instead of an Airbus A321-200
2- Kuwait flights which are operated four times a week, would be operated with an Airbus A321-200 instead of a Boeing 737-800
3- Baku flights which are operated six times a week, would be operated with a mixture of 3 weekly Airbus A321-200 ( Days 246 ) and 3 weekly Boeing 737-800 ( Days 135 ) instead of 6 weekly Boeing 737-800 service

4- The following Ankara flights would also have an equipment change for wide-body tests at Istanbul Airport ( ISL )

TK2124/TK2103 on 12 Feb and 24 Feb would be operated by an Airbus A330-300
TK2124/TK2103 on 18 Feb would be operated by a Boeing 777-300ER

However, the schedule for the inbound flight to Istanbul ( TK2103 ) would remain the same, the schedule for the outbound flight to Ankara ( TK 2124 ) had changed on the dates above;

The new schedule for these flights would be;
TK 2124 ISL ESB 19:55 21:20 EQV
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As TK has over half the traffic into IST, and presumably ISL, then any mention of anything regarding the move, runways, ATC, or anything else does pertain by definition to TK, on this thread, any mentions of other carriers is generally related to the opening, or commencement of full operations at ISL. Also, when you consider that this thread has by far the best information regarding ISL on FT (because of the above) it is only natural that other airline customers may dip in here and refer to it, as their own carriers have been so poor in alerting them to any news, and really johnny come lately's.
ft543, mafaky, ISTFlyer and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Originally Posted by imverge
I booked YYZ-IST award flight departing in June on Aeroplan just yesterday.
I'm asking about LAX-IST
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
I'm asking about LAX-IST
Limited economy awards can be found on TK9 and TK10, but limited business awards (I fare class) on that route are pretty much non-existent.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Would I be crazy/looking for troubles booking CPH-IST-SGN with a dept. 1MAR (dept.time IST-SGN in the early morning of 2MAR)? If the plan sticks and airport operations will be suspended, I will be rebooked to TG, LH etc (OAL)? I will not work for me to rebooked to TK for a day earlier or later.

The flights are available on THY.com and priced fairly reasonable.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Would I be crazy/looking for troubles booking CPH-IST-SGN with a dept. 1MAR (dept.time IST-SGN in the early morning of 2MAR)? If the plan sticks and airport operations will be suspended, I will be rebooked to TG, LH etc (OAL)? I will not work for me to rebooked to TK for a day earlier or later.

The flights are available on THY.com and priced fairly reasonable.
You wouldn't have any problem as the SGN flight departs at 02:30. Istanbul Atatürk Airport is scheduled to close on 2MAR 03:00 local time.
You would be fine unless plans change.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering that a cursory search of 10 random destinations on their website for 1,2,3,4 March into and out of IST, shows that none have been cancelled, delayed, nor any sign of anything portends that there will be no change of services, no movement of airport or anything else on those days, you will be fine.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:46 am

I don't know how credible the below rumor is: well, it's not exactly a rumor but something that has happened but whivh has been just conveyed to me a few hours earlier.

As you may recall, the postponement of the "big bang" move was announced some time by mid-December 2018.That's when this March 3 date etc. surfaced, officially. Later on 15th January a reception was held at the Istanbul Airports New Terminal, for the opening of the Duty-Free facilities. During this reception "somebody" familiar enough to Mr. Kadri Samsunlu (the current CEO of IGA) asked him about the date for full scale ops. He answered "April" (no specific dates, but also not pronounced "March"). That "somebody" commented in return "I can't believe so, I say June!". So they ended up in a bet.

The morale of this story (if totally true) is that Kadri Samsunlu knew about a future postponement, in Jan 2019.

But on the other hand some even more recent communication with a top level person indicates that:
a) There will be no postponement further ahead of March 3rd.
b) All overseas agencies have been invited for their respective inspections. However so far, TSA hasn't yet visited/inspected (their invitation date is not disclosed...) and also the same for EASA. Where there seems no official EASA approval/acceptance, how is TK flying to CDG, FRA, MUC and lately to LGW? I don't have any answer for this.

So, as stated above in my former message, I have decided not to trace this subject (based on rumors and/or educated guessing) any further unless I hear rock-solid information from some reliable source(s) and wait until Feb. 20th's public announcement (and if that ever happens) or otherwise to beg. March 2019 (after seeing the physical signs and proof of the big movement!).
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no answer for the EASA thing either, unless it is some sort of testing thing. Regarding the TSA and FAA, it is A FACT that they were originally supposed to have come over the summer...........and we have discussed what happened before. Considering the fact that IST stated above, that test flights for widebody ops are only scheduled to start the 12th and 18th of this month, and that the TSA/FAA has not even visited yet, in addition to all other evidence means automatically that there is no way at all that this is happening anytime in March. I would assume that KAdri Bey needs to try and hedge himself, because we know what happened to his predecessor.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:43 am

Found this on Simple Flying about new airport

https://simpleflying.com/istanbul-airport-review/
mafaky and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks HBFlyer,

In the link that you have provided, there is this video, which is more than the article;

In 5:06 Sign of SkyTeam lounge - Now there is enough proof to say that SkyTeam would open it's own lounge here.
Also Paul has checked-in himself on the self check-in machine, he wasn't advised to use Domestic Lounge before clearing immigration. ( visible from his boarding pass - NZ*G )
Also for those interested, he had flown on 2FEB ( visible from his boarding pass )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.