Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reverse name on ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Reverse name on ticket

Hi everyone! By stupid mistake i reversed my first and last name.I contacted the call center and they said to buy a new ticket and they give me full refund for wrong one. I cannot afford buying a new one because is 2*expensive. The Flight is from Bucharest to Colombo with stopover in Istanbul. They said that will be no problem to board from Romania but in Istanbul they will refuse my boarding, even the spelling it s correct.
What should I do? Someone traveled recently via Istanbul and had the same problem?
Thank you
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Diana93diana
Hi everyone! By stupid mistake i reversed my first and last name.I contacted the call center and they said to buy a new ticket and they give me full refund for wrong one. I cannot afford buying a new one because is 2*expensive. The Flight is from Bucharest to Colombo with stopover in Istanbul. They said that will be no problem to board from Romania but in Istanbul they will refuse my boarding, even the spelling it s correct.
What should I do? Someone traveled recently via Istanbul and had the same problem?
Thank you
You have 2 choices :

Buy a new ticket
Or
Try to use it and maybe no one notices or if they do,then they allow you to board.
I would choose the 2nd option , hopefully it works.
it once happened to me with another carrier and no one noticed.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:47 pm

I was in a similar situation couple of months ago. The system didn't accept my M&S Number during Online CI so I went to the counter. The only thing the Check in Agent said was: ohh I see you mixed up your names that's why the system couldn't find you, I changed it, here you go...

So, no worries..
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: TK Elite
I had the same issue, but flew without problems.

Just act during check-in like you don't know it.
royng likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Diana93diana
Thank you
I know some people who only or mostly travel on tickets with the name order on the tickets being the opposite order as on the passports. The biggest problems from such situations -- which I've personally seen more times than I care to count -- are that: you will likely have to check in in-person and they will have to pull up your PNR using the record locator and last name as on the ticket; and getting frequent flyer program status/credit for the flight is less likely to happen without manual intervention. Other than those two problems (and perhaps not getting TSA PreCheck to work where applicable), it's not a general problem for people in such circumstances. There are many millions of people whose first name is their family name and whose last name is their given name and fly frequently in such circumstances as yours. Also IATA seems to have it down that a limited number of typos or name order switch isn't a problem.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The advice of GUWonder and other posters above are spot on. This is not going to be an issue at the airport (but it may take a little longer for the check-in agent to find your reservation/ticket and you will most likely not receive the miles/points automatically (you have to apply for retroregistration of miles/points with your FFP)). Don't worry about it.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

​​​​​Thank you all! I panicked cause the guy from call center talked to me like it would be the end of the world if i will travel with my name reversed and strongly advised me to buy new ticket. Which now is 1500 euro, sooo no. I will go like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It happened to me also with TK Intl-domestic and I observed longer check in time than usual, missed connections and rebooked fine by desk staff in IST, no much difference/problems so far.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
It happened to me also with TK Intl-domestic and I observed longer check in time than usual, missed connections and rebooked fine by desk staff in IST, no much difference/problems so far.
And if you did not lose your connection they would leave you travel like this with reversed name? Or they wanted mandatory to book again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.