FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Meal pre-selection / Dine on Demand in TK longhaul business class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1932103-meal-pre-selection-dine-demand-tk-longhaul-business-class.html)

gr8pirate Sep 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Meal pre-selection / Dine on Demand in TK longhaul business class

https://m.yenisafak.com/en/news/turk...-class-3441542

“"Meal selection before flight" service will be available in several intercontinental flights departing from Istanbul to global destinations -- including Atlanta, Boston, Cape Town, Hong Kong, Johannesburg, Buenos Aires, Tokyo, New York etc., the country's national flag carrier said.

"Business class passengers can view the meal details and visuals of the main dishes and make their choices on the webpage and/or mobile application,” it stated.“

airoli Sep 24, 2018 12:21 am

Thanks for posting this, although I think you may have gotten the terminology a bit wrong.

"Dine on Demand" typically denotes a concept where there is no set meal time on board, but passengers can choose to have their meal(s) at any time they like and crew will accommodate. It's something QR offers in Business and many airlines offer in F.

What TK seems to contemplate introducing is a meal pre-order service (SQ calls this"Book the Cook"), where pax can select their meal from a broader range of dishes prior to departure, and the flight will then be catered accordingly. But it doesn't mean that they can then have their meal whenever they want.

leftyboarder Sep 24, 2018 2:25 am

Actually the article mentions both services being rolled out. Dine on demand and mean selection before flight.

airoli Sep 24, 2018 2:46 am

Originally Posted by leftyboarder (Post 30238394)
Actually the article mentions both services being rolled out. Dine on demand and mean selection before flight.

Thanks - that's good news then. ^
(I can't access the link from current location and relied on the quotes...)

gr8pirate Sep 24, 2018 7:42 am

Thanks for the input, I edited the title to reflect it.

Here’s what it says about DOD(?) :

”Dine on demand service will be available in all intercontinental night flights departing from and landing on Istanbul, it added.

"This privileged service concept applied by very few airline companies in the world allows passengers to get a more customized service,"

starflyergold Sep 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 30239139)

"This privileged service concept applied by very few airline companies in the world allows passengers to get a more customized service,"

Suuuuuuure, very few..... :D

IAN-UK Sep 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Dine on demand was offered on my Jakarta flight last week. I didn't see anyone take up the offer, and i didn't risk it myself. We left IST at 3 am and dinner service was completed three hours' later, with breakfast served before landing at CGK at 6 pm.

It would make sense to reverse the meals: an early breakfast at 4 am over Turkey, then an early lunch over Sumatra. Well, it makes sense to me, but not to TK :)

northwestair Sep 25, 2018 6:06 am

dine on demand

Has anyone successfully booked dining on demand? I tried order on the website but it dd not display a form to order. I called TK, however as usual customer service had no information about the dine on demand program

gr8pirate Sep 25, 2018 9:06 am

Originally Posted by northwestair (Post 30242927)
Has anyone successfully booked dining on demand? I tried order on the website but it dd not display a form to order. I called TK, however as usual customer service had no information about the dine on demand program

I think you’ll just get the option to DOD on board on certain flights. This is already on the website in the business/meals section.

as for pre-ordering your meals in J, there hasn’t been a fanfaréd announcement from the official TK channels, so it maybe it’s just being talked about at the moment.

IAN-UK Sep 26, 2018 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by northwestair (Post 30242927)

I think you might be conflating two different concepts
  • dine on demand is where you tell crew when/what time you want to eat
  • pre-order meals is the facility to order the food you want in advance, usually from a limited menu

northwestair Sep 27, 2018 6:33 am

well pre order is not available, and the new concept is dine on demand. I am just wanting to know if anyone has prebooked one of these meals

gr8pirate Sep 27, 2018 9:05 am

Originally Posted by northwestair (Post 30251751)
I am just wanting to know if anyone has prebooked one of these meals

No, unless we’re talking about the usual vegetarian/vegan/kosher/child/etc. special meals that have been available in all cabin classes forever and are industry standard.

The article above mentions that meal preorders in J seem to be in the works, not that it’s already here.

hartfordsam Sep 27, 2018 10:18 am

From my reservation in Dec under "Meals", I do not remember seeing it earlier

You are allowed to select your Business Class meal up to 48 hours before your flight. Plus, the meals you preferred will be served on the selected flight displayed on the left side of the page. Please note that you cannot request "special meal" service after you select your meal, and there is a risk of failure to provide your selection from the menu due to operational reasons.

gr8pirate Sep 27, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by hartfordsam (Post 30252568)
From my reservation in Dec under "Meals", I do not remember seeing it earlier

You are allowed to select your Business Class meal up to 48 hours before your flight. Plus, the meals you preferred will be served on the selected flight displayed on the left side of the page. Please note that you cannot request "special meal" service after you select your meal, and there is a risk of failure to provide your selection from the menu due to operational reasons.

Saw this on one of my reservations as well, before that article came out. At the time I assumed it was just about the ‘standard’ special meals, wrapped/warped in TK English, but reading it again, that may not be the case.

starflyergold Sep 28, 2018 4:08 am

Further info on the meal pre-selection: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...ion/index.html

gr8pirate Sep 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 30255707)
Further info on the meal pre-selection: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...ion/index.html

Copied from the website (bolding mine):

“Our meal selection service is currently provided only on flights from Istanbul to Atlanta, Bangkok, Beijing, Bogota, Boston, Cape Town, Chicago, Guangzhou, Hanoi, Havana, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Houston, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Los Angeles, Manila, Miami, Montreal, New York, Phuket, Mauritius, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Taipei, Tokyo, Caracas, Panama City, Madagascar, Durban, Maputo, Buenos Aires, Toronto and Washington DC.”

AANYC1981 Sep 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Yea, no pre-order for JFK-IST less than a week out. Must only be departing IST as the poster noted above.

solewalker Oct 6, 2018 2:52 am

So, I am flying IST-JFK. The online flight management actually doesn't throw up options for meal selections, but I was able to make selections on the Android app. It doesn't appear to be a Book-the-Cook, as much as simply pre-selecting options available on the flight. I had 2 choices for breakfast, and 3 choices for main meal.

IAN-UK Oct 7, 2018 6:49 pm

Jakarta Istanbul, leaves at 21:00 arrived 05;:00-ish.

dinner service ate up three hours in business-class, then we were woken
for breakfast THREE HOURS out of Istanbul 😕

Crew blamed dine-on-demand. Go figure.​​​

I hope it was the decision of a rogue, whacko, cabin service director rather than a new policy.

JorgeGomez Oct 7, 2018 7:28 pm

I have a flight on tuesday DUS-IST-BOG. There is only the note: "You are allowed to select your Business Class meal up to 48 hours before your flight. Plus, the meals you preferred will be served on the selected flight displayed on the left side of the page. Please note that you cannot request "Special Meal" service after you select your meal, and there is a risk of failure to provide your selection from the menu due to operational reasons."
But there is no option to choose any meal...

Has anybody ever successfully selected a meal before the flight?

gr8pirate Oct 7, 2018 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by JorgeGomez (Post 30290005)
I have a flight on tuesday DUS-IST-BOG. There is only the note: "You are allowed to select your Business Class meal up to 48 hours before your flight. Plus, the meals you preferred will be served on the selected flight displayed on the left side of the page. Please note that you cannot request "Special Meal" service after you select your meal, and there is a risk of failure to provide your selection from the menu due to operational reasons."
But there is no option to choose

(This shows on the website in the manage booking section)
Same thing here, it looks like the intent is there but the IT/website isn’t yet.

solewalker Oct 8, 2018 1:08 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 30290120)

Same thing here, it looks like the intent is there but the IT/website isn’t yet.

I replied to this 4 responses before.

JorgeGomez Oct 8, 2018 8:23 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 30290120)

I called the custumer relation service and the miles and smiles service. Nobody there knows nothing about this new perk. All the representatives only wanted to offer me special meals like Hindhu meal, kosher meal and so on but nobody heard about this new choice. Ridiculous!!

JorgeGomez Oct 8, 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by solewalker (Post 30284771)
So, I am flying IST-JFK. The online flight management actually doesn't throw up options for meal selections, but I was able to make selections on the Android app. It doesn't appear to be a Book-the-Cook, as much as simply pre-selecting options available on the flight. I had 2 choices for breakfast, and 3 choices for main meal.

Doesn`t work for my flight. There is nothing if I choose "manage reservation". Or have you done it during online check-in?

solewalker Oct 8, 2018 8:54 am

Originally Posted by JorgeGomez (Post 30291536)
Doesn`t work for my flight. There is nothing if I choose "manage reservation". Or have you done it during online check-in?

Can't do it on online check in, because selections have to be made 48 hrs in advance. Found it under "Manage Reservations", clicked on the meal button, and there it was.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9a0cd7f0af.png

gr8pirate Oct 8, 2018 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by solewalker (Post 30291643)
Can't do it on online check in, because selections have to be made 48 hrs in advance. Found it under "Manage Reservations", clicked on the meal button, and there it was.

Doesn’t work for me, but that could be because the first part of my trip is in Y and only the ex-IST flight in J.

dromack Oct 10, 2018 3:29 am

Unfortunately doesn't work for me as well. DUB-IST-JNB. Both segments in K.

CoweyB Oct 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by dromack (Post 30298777)
Unfortunately doesn't work for me as well. DUB-IST-JNB. Both segments in K.

when are you flying? It seems to be available a week before the flight unti 48 hours before departure.

flyjfk Oct 20, 2018 8:35 pm

I just flew IST-ICN and there was "Dine On Demand" onboard. It was clearly written on the menu that both of the courses (Breakfast and Dinner) were dine on demand, so passengers would get the meal they want at any time.

I got breakfast as soon as we took of (there was a 4 hr delay from IST so we took off around 5:30am) and I went to sleep straight after breakfast. I woke up around 2:50 hr before landing, I saw that they had started serving dinner. I didn't want food and was still sleepy, so went back to sleep. This time I woke up 1.5hr before landing. One of the crew greeted me and asked if I wanted to have dinner. I said yes, and they served the entire dinner course. I was finishing around 40 mins before landing, so they skipped the dessert (which is my favorite on Turkish :D ) so I didn't get to have ther baklava and others, but oh well, I slept 1.5hr more :)

I really liked the concept. I'd want to try this especially if I fall asleep right after take off and ask for meal in the middle of the flight..

flyjfk Oct 20, 2018 8:36 pm

I forgot to say that I had also put my meal requests before the flight (for breakfast and dinner), and the selections I could see on the app were exactly the ones that were offered on the menu in flight.

Originally Posted by flyjfk (Post 30338090)
I just flew IST-ICN and there was "Dine On Demand" onboard. It was clearly written on the menu that both of the courses (Breakfast and Dinner) were dine on demand, so passengers would get the meal they want at any time.

I got breakfast as soon as we took of (there was a 4 hr delay from IST so we took off around 5:30am) and I went to sleep straight after breakfast. I woke up around 2:50 hr before landing, I saw that they had started serving dinner. I didn't want food and was still sleepy, so went back to sleep. This time I woke up 1.5hr before landing. One of the crew greeted me and asked if I wanted to have dinner. I said yes, and they served the entire dinner course. I was finishing around 40 mins before landing, so they skipped the dessert (which is my favorite on Turkish :D ) so I didn't get to have ther baklava and others, but oh well, I slept 1.5hr more :)

I really liked the concept. I'd want to try this especially if I fall asleep right after take off and ask for meal in the middle of the flight..

ankomonkey Oct 21, 2018 10:48 am

Originally Posted by flyjfk (Post 30338090)
...so they skipped the dessert (which is my favorite on Turkish :D ) so I didn't get to have ther baklava and others...

That's why dine-on-demand is a bad idea. I'd have gone down on my hands and knees and begged for it (unless the fasten seatbelts sign was on).

cln Oct 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Before i started flying turkish i was for years on etihad. They had this dine anytime concept and i loved it. I'm looking forward to give it a try

airoli Oct 22, 2018 12:01 am

I think this could be especially useful for those midnight-3am departures from IST to Asia. I always found it completely silly that they do the full dinner service at this hour.

Much nicer to go straight to sleep and then have the "dinner" service a few hours before landing.

IAN-UK Oct 22, 2018 3:36 am

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 30341687)
I think this could be especially useful for those midnight-3am departures from IST to Asia. I always found it completely silly that they do the full dinner service at this hour.

Much nicer to go straight to sleep and then have the "dinner" service a few hours before landing.

My regular trip is to Jakarta. I find it best to go with the awkward flow: most eat when food is offered so the foot traffic and the lights mitigate against a peaceful sleep between 3am and 5am, when dinner is served.

It would be far better if they simply adopted a "sleeper service approach". Drinks and a light meal (without the faff and without full lights) after take off, then a full meal service starting three hours out of Jakarta (where the landing is early evening).

The argument that there are so many time zones among passengers is specious. Far better to help them get into synch with the destination. Breakfast at 5pm Jakarta time doesn't help.

flyjfk Oct 22, 2018 4:56 am

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 30341687)

My flight to Seoul was delayed until 5:30am, so the crew automatically switched the order of the service to first breakfast then dinner before arrival. It worked perfectly!

I agree with the other posts, these midnight flights should stop serving dinner right after take off. It's especially useless since folks already eat in the lounge. A very light drink service could be nice, and other than that it should be only dine on demand.

1kBill Oct 23, 2018 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by solewalker (Post 30291643)

For an upcoming flight from IST-LAX, the only meal options that I can see are the "special" meals (low fat, diabetic, Hindu, etc.), no pre-order options showing for me. :( Fortunately, I have found the food on TK to be quite good for airline food.

solewalker Oct 24, 2018 12:53 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill (Post 30349445)
For an upcoming flight from IST-LAX, the only meal options that I can see are the "special" meals (low fat, diabetic, Hindu, etc.), no pre-order options showing for me. :( Fortunately, I have found the food on TK to be quite good for airline food.

Quite frankly, you aren't missing much. The Turkish system is not like the SQ's Book The Cook system. It's more like Qatar/American, where you get to pre-select what will be served on the flight in any case.

TPJ Oct 30, 2018 2:14 pm

Same here - no pre-select option in App. Flying to ORD in 3 weeks.

gilbertaue Dec 29, 2018 12:41 am

Prebook your business class meal

Just got an email that they have started offering prebooking of meals out of selected airports for guests flying Business Class.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...ion/index.html

The service is currently offered out of Istanbul to:

Atlanta, Bangkok, Beijing, Bogota, Boston, Cape Town, Chicago, Guangzhou, Hanoi, Havana, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Houston, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Los Angeles, Manila, Miami, Montreal, New York, Phuket, Mauritius, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Taipei, Tokyo, Caracas, Panama City, Madagascar, Durban, Maputo, Buenos Aires, Toronto and Washington DC.

​​​​​​... And needs to be done 45hrs prior to flight.

(I know.. I know... I didn't search the forum properly. Nothing new added here) :)

TPJ Dec 30, 2018 1:20 am

I got the same e-mail, my departure is in late February but meal can only be selected 10 days prior to departure. It would be wiser to send me this e-mail 10 days prior to departure;)