Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Meal pre-selection / Dine on Demand in TK longhaul business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum

https://m.yenisafak.com/en/news/turk...-class-3441542

“"Meal selection before flight" service will be available in several intercontinental flights departing from Istanbul to global destinations -- including Atlanta, Boston, Cape Town, Hong Kong, Johannesburg, Buenos Aires, Tokyo, New York etc., the country's national flag carrier said.

"Business class passengers can view the meal details and visuals of the main dishes and make their choices on the webpage and/or mobile application,” it stated.“

Last edited by gr8pirate; Sep 24, 2018 at 7:34 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Thanks for posting this, although I think you may have gotten the terminology a bit wrong.

"Dine on Demand" typically denotes a concept where there is no set meal time on board, but passengers can choose to have their meal(s) at any time they like and crew will accommodate. It's something QR offers in Business and many airlines offer in F.

What TK seems to contemplate introducing is a meal pre-order service (SQ calls this"Book the Cook"), where pax can select their meal from a broader range of dishes prior to departure, and the flight will then be catered accordingly. But it doesn't mean that they can then have their meal whenever they want.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:25 am

Actually the article mentions both services being rolled out. Dine on demand and mean selection before flight.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by leftyboarder
Actually the article mentions both services being rolled out. Dine on demand and mean selection before flight.
Thanks - that's good news then. ^
(I can't access the link from current location and relied on the quotes...)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, I edited the title to reflect it.

Here’s what it says about DOD(?) :

”Dine on demand service will be available in all intercontinental night flights departing from and landing on Istanbul, it added.

"This privileged service concept applied by very few airline companies in the world allows passengers to get a more customized service,"

Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:26 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

"This privileged service concept applied by very few airline companies in the world allows passengers to get a more customized service,"

Suuuuuuure, very few.....
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Dine on demand was offered on my Jakarta flight last week. I didn't see anyone take up the offer, and i didn't risk it myself. We left IST at 3 am and dinner service was completed three hours' later, with breakfast served before landing at CGK at 6 pm.

It would make sense to reverse the meals: an early breakfast at 4 am over Turkey, then an early lunch over Sumatra. Well, it makes sense to me, but not to TK
Gnopps likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: HH Gold, TK Elite+
dine on demand

Has anyone successfully booked dining on demand? I tried order on the website but it dd not display a form to order. I called TK, however as usual customer service had no information about the dine on demand program
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northwestair
Has anyone successfully booked dining on demand? I tried order on the website but it dd not display a form to order. I called TK, however as usual customer service had no information about the dine on demand program
I think you’ll just get the option to DOD on board on certain flights. This is already on the website in the business/meals section.

as for pre-ordering your meals in J, there hasn’t been a fanfaréd announcement from the official TK channels, so it maybe it’s just being talked about at the moment.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

I think you might be conflating two different concepts
  • dine on demand is where you tell crew when/what time you want to eat
  • pre-order meals is the facility to order the food you want in advance, usually from a limited menu
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: HH Gold, TK Elite+
well pre order is not available, and the new concept is dine on demand. I am just wanting to know if anyone has prebooked one of these meals
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I am just wanting to know if anyone has prebooked one of these meals
No, unless we’re talking about the usual vegetarian/vegan/kosher/child/etc. special meals that have been available in all cabin classes forever and are industry standard.

The article above mentions that meal preorders in J seem to be in the works, not that it’s already here.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:18 am

From my reservation in Dec under "Meals", I do not remember seeing it earlier

You are allowed to select your Business Class meal up to 48 hours before your flight. Plus, the meals you preferred will be served on the selected flight displayed on the left side of the page. Please note that you cannot request "special meal" service after you select your meal, and there is a risk of failure to provide your selection from the menu due to operational reasons.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hartfordsam
From my reservation in Dec under "Meals", I do not remember seeing it earlier

You are allowed to select your Business Class meal up to 48 hours before your flight. Plus, the meals you preferred will be served on the selected flight displayed on the left side of the page. Please note that you cannot request "special meal" service after you select your meal, and there is a risk of failure to provide your selection from the menu due to operational reasons.
Saw this on one of my reservations as well, before that article came out. At the time I assumed it was just about the ‘standard’ special meals, wrapped/warped in TK English, but reading it again, that may not be the case.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:08 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Further info on the meal pre-selection: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...ion/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.