Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

New business class seat (1-2-1) for Boeing B787 and Airbus A350

New business class seat (1-2-1) for Boeing B787 and Airbus A350

Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus / Star Alliance Gold ; AY Gold / One World Sapphire; Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by PerStockholm
I for one see this as a huge downgrade compared to the current seats. I hate the new sq regional seats (same as the new tk seats) since they’re super cramped. Worst seats ever. Too bad, TK is my preferred carrier and I love their current seats
Sorry for bumping this thread but I totally agree with Per. The plastic cocoon-type seats that many other airlines use are rather cramped (Garuda, ANA, Finnair, ...). The angled ones like in Air New Zealand work too, but only because I can rest my head on the ventilation grille below the window, i.e. extending beyond the bed. I'm 1m90, so not unusually tall. If you travel as a couple and, like me, prefer a window seat, the plastic pod seats are a real bummer.

The current TK seats are, in my experience, the most roomy in the business (I know some other airlines like KLM, Alitalia or LOT have similar seats, but I haven't flown these yet). You can lie belly-down, on your side, etc.. it all works. They're also relatively wide and straight/rectangular - no odd panelling forcing you to curl up in a certain way or wedge your feet into a cranny. The seat is so large you sometimes have 4 windows just to yourself. Plus the ottoman at your feet gives good storage space which is accessible even when the bed is made. Frankly, I nearly always get a good night's sleep flying TK, while with others it's a hit and miss.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: Turkish Air
What routes do these planes fly on? I've never seen one. I always get stiffed with old 777s with 2-3-2.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by jay49
What routes do these planes fly on? I've never seen one. I always get stiffed with old 777s with 2-3-2.
None at the moment because no 787 or A350 yet.

Last edited by flyerby; Mar 7, 2019 at 6:04 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FEasy
The current TK seats are, in my experience, the most roomy in the business (I know some other airlines like KLM, Alitalia or LOT have similar seats, but I haven't flown these yet).
No Alitalia experience, but LOT's seats are almost identical to TK's., and KLM's are essentially similar. I sleep fine in all three.

I've yet to come across a cocoon/herringbone/pod seat that I like. They all remind me of straightjackets.

Johan
FEasy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
The seat maps for my flights latter this year had been updated or so its seams. But the option to change seats is grayed out. Hopefully it will sort itself out soon
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus / Star Alliance Gold ; AY Gold / One World Sapphire; Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
No Alitalia experience, but LOT's seats are almost identical to TK's., and KLM's are essentially similar. I sleep fine in all three.

I've yet to come across a cocoon/herringbone/pod seat that I like. They all remind me of straightjackets.

Johan
I sometimes refer to them them as plastic coffins. Just look at the amount of material (really, just loads and loads of cheap plastic dividers) which fills up the cabin in one of these pod-style business class configs. In cabins like TK's current business offering, we have a very roomy, airy alternative to economy - which is a true luxury in a confined environment like an airplane. But somehow people started to seek privacy above all else and we ended up being boxed in again. A real shame. It's probably a trickle-down effect from first class, where closets are becoming the standard (ANA even covers up the windows - incomprehensible), but at least there you have some space to move about. However, few airlines offer first class, and neither me nor my employer would be willing to fork out for that. /end rant

My next flight is with LOT 787 - looks great.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
When are new aircraft with these seats (or existing aircraft that will get a retrofit) expected to be in service?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:26 am

Seat Booking experience for 787 IAD - IST - IAD

Had to call Turkish Airlines yesterday (4/12/2019) because the web site would still not allow me to book seats or see a seat map for the flights I have booked (revenue, biz class) in August, where the 787 is scheduled. Neither Turkish nor Seatguru has the 787 seatmap although there are some other sources that show it in some form.

The Turkish agent helped me to get seats although she said this was the first time she had booked a 787 seat. We went through the seat map (she was patient) and it showed 2A and 2D as adjacent, with 1A and 3A single seats, alternating 1-2-1 and 2-2 rows through the business section up to row 8. This is interesting because it's not consistent with the photos shown on this and other sites and not with the expectations for the layout (most of which point to staggered 1-2-1 layout with the "window" seats shifting from left-side console to right-side console in alternate rows). The agent couldn't explain it to me so I just booked some of the few remaining "single" seats.

It's a bit curious that this still hasn't been published. I suspect that 2A and 2D are actually staggered (one behind the other, with the foot well in the console next to the front seat) but it's really hard to be sure and it's odd that even on the web site with a booked revenue ticket you still can't see the seat map.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
When are new aircraft with these seats (or existing aircraft that will get a retrofit) expected to be in service?
Unsure of retrofits, but according to RoutesOnline the first TK 787s will fly to ATL/IAD/DPS

Istanbul – Atlanta eff 10SEP19 5 weekly, replacing A330-200
Istanbul – Denpasar eff 17JUL19 3 weekly (1 daily from 08AUG19, previously reported)
Istanbul – Washington Dulles eff 08AUG19 1 daily, replacing A330-300

I'm seeing ATL-IST in November showing the 789
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Still unable to choose seats for ATL-IST in late Sept. During booking I was automatically assigned 3A and 3K which is odd, and when I try to change seats in app it says “you can conclude this transaction after issuing your ticket.” Probably going to have to call and get two seats in the middle.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by thefiverivers
Still unable to choose seats for ATL-IST in late Sept. During booking I was automatically assigned 3A and 3K which is odd, and when I try to change seats in app it says “you can conclude this transaction after issuing your ticket.” Probably going to have to call and get two seats in the middle.
Yes, there are issues with the 787-9 seat map at the moment. That's why as you have mentioned, the call center would be the best place to reserve 2 seats in the middle.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Mr. ISTFlyer is proud to book a reservation on hold for the first ever scheduled TK 787-9 to Antalya on 8 Jul.

I would ( %95 ) be flying TK 2410 on 8 Jul 2019 in Biz and TK 2439 back to IST, the same day ( currently on Biz but could change to Eco ).
Of course this is subject to change so I would book changeable tickets.

Thanks to Airlineroute which indicated that 787-9's would be used for the Antalya route during the summer.

Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Does TK offer bassinet in business class on 789? Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:10 pm

I was so excited to book my first flight with a Turkish A350 but I forgot one major problem: I have an infant. In the 2-3-2 configuration, the adult with the infant could sit either in the window seat or in the middle. So I didn't think much of it and thought my wife and I could take the middle 2 in the 1-2-1 with the infant on our lap... apparently not. Only window seats allowed for infants which is inconvenient for us and also inconvenient for the single people out there who want to sit alone at the window seat but the annoying adults with infants have taken up all the window seats.

We finally settled for 2A and 2D so that:
1) the middle adult can be away from the other middle person (especially in case our infant hangs out with the middle adult during the flight)
2) the window adult + infant can be closer to the window so the toddler can look out.
3) to keep the window adult and middle adult in one line so that we can still talk, infant can go back and forth, etc.

Also thought about 3A and 2D which looks like would make access between the two adults more direct but it also wouldn't give the infant any "private" space to hang out in (while still seeing both of us) since the only space between the seats is the corridor whereas 2A has that small bit in front of the armrest/cubby. I guess the infant could also hang out in the spot between 3A and the window which would give the infant full privacy but still, 2A seems better.

I usually travel with family or friends which is why I really like the 2-3-2 in TK since it's gives good comfort while allowing us to still be close to and talk with friends/family. I guess our future flights will have to be more antisocial.

Last edited by katofunanori; Feb 18, 2021 at 2:18 pm Reason: grammar
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:26 pm

Actually, now I am second guessing myself - maybe 3A & 3E would be the best since 3E can put up the divider and we'd have the entire space between the window and the middle of the airplane whereas there is no divider between 2D & 2G... any suggestions?

Last edited by katofunanori; Feb 18, 2021 at 2:33 pm Reason: grammar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.