Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is It Just Me?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Wow, I've touched a nerve with hfly! Perhaps he missed my nuance of language when I stated that JED hasn't changed in 37 years, not 15 - nothing to do with the first, middle, or last time he'd been there. I agree that every business class lounge can get overcrowded - everyone has experienced that! I wouldn't have bothered to write if it weren't SO much worse than the EK, BA, or DL examples mentioned above. No need to further defend IST, hfly - again, the airport you apparently frequent is certainly not the one I experienced.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pacman, perhaps you missed it before, but I'll say it again, and the regulars here can comment if they want: I am one of the biggest critics of TK. Not only that, but I frequent A LOT of airports, when I write about DL, I write as a 2MM, and 20 year Plat then Diamond, BA as a 20+ Year GC member, EK as a Gold card member for 10+ years, LH as a SEN for over 14 years. You are right, everything is subjective, and based on ones experiences, mine are based by over 2500 flight on just the airlines listed here, perhaps you have more experience.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by hfly
Pacman, perhaps you missed it before, but I'll say it again, and the regulars here can comment if they want: I am one of the biggest critics of TK. Not only that, but I frequent A LOT of airports, when I write about DL, I write as a 2MM, and 20 year Plat then Diamond, BA as a 20+ Year GC member, EK as a Gold card member for 10+ years, LH as a SEN for over 14 years. You are right, everything is subjective, and based on ones experiences, mine are based by over 2500 flight on just the airlines listed here, perhaps you have more experience.
WOW, what amount of air travel! Just an observation or guess, this amount of flying may impact your opinions too in a way that you may live totally own world where nobody else will see the same view...just a thought, absolutely nothing personal against you
Old May 2, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or FFlash, it gives me the opportunity to be able to make real world regular comparisons based on more than just a sampling of random data.

You know just a few days ago on another thread I opined about the TK lounge that the food stations are way too small and often lead to lines and I hope they correct this with the new lounge at the new airport. This is a fact, and not my problem with this thread.

The problem is when one then declares that all the other airlines cited have superior lounges, which is simply NOT the case. With AF you can be 10 deep at CDG trying to get a slice of Ham and a croissant and a piece of plastic covered shelf stable cheese at peak times and find no seating. At the BA F lounge, one can choose from pretty much the exact same menus that have been there since the airport opened, and also often line up, otherwise its essentially the same biscuits and crisps of the last decade, and often have seating challenges. EK 90 minutes before their 4AM bank of flights?? Any of the DL lounges at ATL or JFK at peak times?! And while DL has raised the food game slightly over the last 3-4 years, their food is terrible.

But don't take my word for it, go visit the forums and see what their regulars say about these matters.

I do not doubt that the OP had a hectic time at the TK lounge. It is in fact quite possible. That is not the point, when one then says that all these others are superior when they clearly are not. I am still waiting for bryanoneil to tell us about all the better lounges in Europe.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
@hfly
oh yes, as said I had nothing personal, but I just spoke out my thought unfiltered. I find these discussions and viewpoints every day interesting. Somehow I actually feel sorry for the service providers about the variety of preferences, it must be hard time for them to make choices, they cannot please all of us at the same time and make money too!
Old May 2, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fflash, because people are not rational, and often do not see the big picture, do not often see anything but their own acute version of reality and often are unable to comprehend the big picture.

One flies through a hub solely to connect, in between "banks" of flights and you are going to see crowded and overcrowded lounges. Fact of life, and it applies to any serious trunk carrier, no matter how big or how many lounges they have at that hub. If you fly more often and have more variation in times (different banks) you see some are busier than others, and if you then go on to do O/D flying to/fr the destination, you get a different picture. Plain and simple and applies to everyone. If you have only done it once or twice, you may think your opinion is relevant, but really is not to the airline or anyone else, especially if there is no historical perspective or real consistent basis of comparison.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Wow. I read and re-read the exchange between fflash and hfly - I'll let all the other readers reach their own conclusions about hfly's statements. The gentlemen is seriously trying to impress readers with the number of flights he's taken and the number of miles he's flown (as demonstrated by all the golds, 20 million mile club memberships, etc., etc), and, is, therefore, an 'authority' on on 'real world comparisons'. Please, spare us. These days, I only fly 7-8 times per year on my own dime, typically in first but occasionally in business (as with TK as they don't offer anything else). I certainly don't need nor do I appreciate a 'lecture' about unrealistic expectations by an individual who, for all I know, hasn't truly taken an international flight in his life, but who lives on his computer and, at last count, has posted 13,442 times! What a life - 2500 flights and 13,442 posts. Do you do anything else?
Old May 2, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
The TK lounge has by far better food than any hub lounge I have visited in Europe which includes LH, LX, OS, AF, AZ, SN, SU, A3 and BA. It also has more to do with the golf, PlayStation, slot cars, etc . My 10 year old daughter didn't want to leave. Yes it is overcrowded and the shower situation - or lack of availability - reflects this. For a long and relaxing layover in a lounge I would choose LH or LX but for the usually short layover to and from TLV, TK is great.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by pacman3
I certainly don't need nor do I appreciate a 'lecture' about unrealistic expectations by an individual who, for all I know, hasn't truly taken an international flight in his life, but who lives on his computer and, at last count, has posted 13,442 times! What a life - 2500 flights and 13,442 posts. Do you do anything else?
I heard that these days you have WiFi on board so no time collision here as @hfly can post on FT while in the air.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:06 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I would like to remind everyone of the FT Rules and in particular https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules...ettingpersonal
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.
Grateful if everyone could observe these rules! Failure to do so may result in posts being deleted and/or posting privileges being removed.

starflyergold
TK M&S forum moderato
r
Old May 3, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: TK Elite
I was in the lounge for 8 hours on Tuesday, the lounge was busy but it never got overly so & at some point it was even super quiet! I inquired 4 different times about a shower & the longest waiting time was an hour. I agree with the fact that the lounge is severely missing a "quiet zone" but aside from that I personally love it.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
i think the main problem with the lounge comes from the miles & smiles program in general. it is a great accomplishment that they could build such a nice lounge at the current airport, and it is big enough even for a hub airport.

the problem is that TK hands out Elite cards too easily, and gives no exclusivity to its Elite Plus members. I think a very small percentage of the people in the lounge are actually flying business, and most of them would not even be considered "frequent" fliers at other major carriers. nowadays you can gift elite cards, buy status miles, protect miles, transfer miles which turns the lounge into a very crowded place. as a paying business customer it is very frustrating to have to wait in a long line for business class check in (flying to Istanbul not from) and know that most people in that line are not flying business and they probably would not even be considered Elite in other airlines.
Forrest Bump likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Tcmb99, you are scaring me out!
i am a QR transfuge and have my first TK J flight planned later this month.
also have two J trips booked for September, alltogether good for 3x16k miles and Elite status.
QR Al Mourjan business lounge is for J passengers only and QR has distinct check in counters for status holders.
I will soon see how things get going with TK.I never liked QR’s A Mourjan business lounge and cost cutting have further reduced quality lately.Give me a few weeks...
Old May 4, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tcm, its not quite that, the real World is not FT, and I know for a fact taht ultimately speaking there are not too many people out there with status matches, and in any case, if one does a match and does not fly very much, one is not really clogging up the system. Most of the people you are referring to, especially connecting and in the lounges are people flying all sorts of weird connecting routings through IST in Business Class at ridiculously cheap prices (Jakarta to a dozen European cities, Abu Dhabi to the West Coast of the US, Tehran to Sao Paolo, etc ) for under $2k RT. Much exactly like you get in DXB, AUH or DOH.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines
I feel there are two kinds of people: the ones who expect the lounge to be clean, quiet, and have basic amenities AND the ones that want the lounge to have a lot of perks, food, and "life" inside. For the latter, Turkish Airlines lounge in Istanbul is a perfect choice. I was just there a few weeks ago and it was amazing. But I can imagine that if I'd prefer the quiet solitude of, let's say Finnair lounges in Helsinki (when it's not rush hour), then yes, TK wouldn't be the best choice for me.
smellme likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.