FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Large but fragile equipment in cabin as hand luggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1904667-large-but-fragile-equipment-cabin-hand-luggage.html)

Kungpo Apr 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Large but fragile equipment in cabin as hand luggage

I need to take a piece of hardware on a TK flight soon. It's expensive and relatively fragile. Will TK let me bring it in to the cabin? I don't want to check it in as its crucial for the job I'm traveling for so want to be sure I have it.

The box is about 70*70*15. Flying in J and am *G / M&S elite if that has any bearing.

gr8pirate Apr 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kungpo (Post 29656705)
I need to take a piece of hardware on a TK flight soon. It's expensive and relatively fragile. Will TK let me bring it in to the cabin? I don't want to check it in as its crucial for the job I'm traveling for so want to be sure I have it.

The box is about 70*70*15. Flying in J and am *G / M&S elite if that has any bearing.

Am reasonably sure 70x70 cm won’t fit in the overheads. There’s a crew/coat cabinet between J and Y cabin that could work, but whether you make it that far really depends on the person you check in with. The added friendliness at the J counter should help. Good luck!

Kungpo Apr 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Thanks for that. I've tweeted them about this as well. Don't feel happy to check in such a critical bit of kit.

siberslava Apr 20, 2018 12:21 am

Your other option would be to fly economy and purchase an extra seat like those who travel with cellos for instance.

gr8pirate Apr 20, 2018 12:36 am

Originally Posted by siberslava (Post 29662922)
Your other option would be to fly economy and purchase an extra seat like those who travel with cellos for instance.

70x70x15 cm won’t fit in a seat either. Two maybe.

It’s an awkward package and I wonder what it is, OP?

flyerby Apr 20, 2018 2:04 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 29662943)
It’s an awkward package and I wonder what it is, OP?

It reminds me of the time I wanted to transport a 27 inch iMac 🖥 :)

Kungpo Apr 20, 2018 6:55 am

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 29663117)

It reminds me of the time I wanted to transport a 27 inch iMac 🖥 :)

What did you do in the end?

The package is slightly smaller that I thought - 60x60x12. It's a Cisco security appliance for those interested.

flyerby Apr 20, 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kungpo (Post 29663703)
What did you do in the end?

The package is slightly smaller that I thought - 60x60x12. It's a Cisco security appliance for those interested.

I didn’t buy it in the end because I thought it was too big.

Kungpo Apr 22, 2018 3:40 am

All went well

I checked it in, in the end. Was anxious about it especially with the short connection but all arrived ok.

flyerby Apr 22, 2018 5:16 am

Cisco gear is the best :)