TK elite plus short by 6k

Old Apr 6, 18, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
TK elite plus short by 6k

Hi

need some advice just realized I will be short by 6k miles to get to elite plus.
I have a trip from India to Europe coming up ( will accrue about 3k miles if travel in economy) is it worth it to try to get 6k miles in this trip which may include another small mileage run. Any suggestion for a trip from India which is purely a mileage run to get these miles.

I travel once once a year to us from India.

cheers
Old Apr 7, 18, 5:45 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer View Post
Hi

need some advice just realized I will be short by 6k miles to get to elite plus.
I have a trip from India to Europe coming up ( will accrue about 3k miles if travel in economy) is it worth it to try to get 6k miles in this trip which may include another small mileage run. Any suggestion for a trip from India which is purely a mileage run to get these miles.

cheers
You can buy status miles, up to 10k.
Old Apr 7, 18, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Granite64 View Post
You can buy status miles, up to 10k.
is the same also for the first time qualification I was under the impression that it is for only requalification.
Old Apr 7, 18, 11:09 am

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R

is the same also for the first time qualification I was under the impression that it is for only requalification.

This is correct, buying miles is only for renewal. Back to your question, in your case it's absolutely worth it.

Back in 2013 I was 10K miles short and I did it by flying across US with UA a few times over weekends, now I only have to fly 40K miles within first year to renew for another 2 years.

If you're within the 12 months I would do this quickly, make sure the fare class will get you enough miles. My suggestion is doing some mileage running while you're in EU, I recommend A3 and LX since most Y fares give you 100% miles.

Last edited by vincewy; Apr 7, 18 at 11:16 am
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:27 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Hi

cheers
Originally Posted by vincewy View Post
This is correct, buying miles is only for renewal. Back to your question, in your case it's absolutely worth it.

Back in 2013 I was 10K miles short and I did it by flying across US with UA a few times over weekends, now I only have to fly 40K miles within first year to renew for another 2 years.

If you're within the 12 months I would do this quickly, make sure the fare class will get you enough miles. My suggestion is doing some mileage running while you're in EU, I recommend A3 and LX since most Y fares give you 100% miles.
If the OP flies from India to the US, twice a year, the only tangible benefit I see from Elite Plus is the upgrade vouchers (I believe it's 2 per year): So, if you plan on doing Y trips to US, and check for availability on EF (for specific booking class availability), and plan in advance, you can very well upgrade your entire trip to business class.

Another is the soft landing to Elite. Besides these, I don't see any other benefit over & above the normal *G benefit acquired through TK Elite, if flying on *A carriers excluding TK metal.

OP, what's the value of TK ELPL to you: that's the question you need to ask!
Old Apr 8, 18, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It's definitely worth a 3-6K mileage run to get to E+. (or just upgrade that Europe trip to J or F if you can find a cheap premium fare on the likes of Air India or Egyptair)

Besides the two upgrade vouchers, it also becomes much easier to re-qualify and, if not, you get the soft landing to Elite for an extra two years of *G.

Even getting close to 80K within 12 months is pretty impressive, especially if you aren't normally flying in J...
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:31 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
You can also convert your regular miles into staus miles at the rate of 1:5 which in your case would mean burning 30 k miles
Old Apr 8, 18, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aircommodore View Post
You can also convert your regular miles into staus miles at the rate of 1:5 which in your case would mean burning 30 k miles
There are now two pieces of incorrect or misleading advice in this thread.

1. NO, you cannot buy status miles to qualify. (only to re-qualify in the second year of your cycle)

2. ONLY Turkish credit card holders can convert bonus miles into status miles.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all some great friends bro. I have till June end and have decided to get the same during my Europe trip in May.

Just few queries? the vouchers are 2 per year and are they irrespectivve of me not requalifing in the first year itself?
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:55 pm

Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Thank you all some great friends bro. I have till June end and have decided to get the same during my Europe trip in May.

Just few queries? the vouchers are 2 per year and are they irrespectivve of me not requalifing in the first year itself?
The vouchers are 2 per membership year. As soon as you qualify for E+, you will get a new membership circle of two years starting from the qualifying month. If you qualify in May,your new circle will be two years from May,regardless what your circle was before qualifying. Therefore you will get 4 vouchers during two membership years and can use next 2 ONLY when the second year of circle will started.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: