Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Delayed Flight, will miss connection. What to do/expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed Flight, will miss connection. What to do/expect?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Just a reminder that TK would provide accommodation, food, transport to/from the hotel if necessary. She needs to go to the transfer desk to rebook her flights. Just a quick note that
they could also rebook her on a flight to another European destination today and then provide another flight from that European destination to Porto.
Unfortunately, I am sorry to say that the routing that you give is not entitled for any compensation so it is your own responsibility to have money/credit cards for personal expenses. Her bags would be fine and would be automatically rerouted through her re-routed itinerary. If she wants, she could ask to claim that at Istanbul but I imagine that it would be hard to carry 55kgs especially with 2 small kids.
Thank you for the reply.
So you recommend to go in Turkish Airlines flight, tomorrow. They will give special assist because of the children so she dont need to be in long queues to get a hotel + the food... I really dont know how it works..if vouchers or if the hotel have a restaurant where she can order what she wants in a limit budget or if she have to pay and then ask for refund.....
- Should I tell her to go directly to the transfer desk to rebook the flights? And then the hotel matter, on the same desk she can take care?\
they could also rebook her on a flight to another European destination today and then provide another flight from that European destination to Porto.
But free of charge? Or the connection flight with other company she would need to have form of payment?

Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
Originally Posted by hugoli
Yes, but I am looking for advice so when she arrive (she is in flight right now) she could have some usefull info so she dont go from one counter to an other.
I have never been in this situation so I am trying to guide her. "TK staff will be able to assist" but I have read so many bad reviews about this matter in the last hour that I am afraid about what could happen. If she was alone, it was ok, she is easy going. But she is carrying 2 babies, without any assist. So, moving from one queue to an other, waiting in queues to maybe get answers to she need to wait and wait for a solution...

There is flights today to Porto but its a Turkish + other company flight. Its very important for them to arrive in Porto today. She really is not prepared with the special needs and food they require, they have some allergies.

I can give important information that could let her dont feel so lost and save time if on her arrival she goes and do what best should be done in this situations. There will be more people on same situation and probably not enough seats in the next flight tomorrow. I really need to try to put her in a solution to arrive today. There is like 1 flight Istambul (turkish Airlines) - Zurique (Easyjet) - Porto but it costs 380 Eur each ticket (3 tickets would be expensive)
You shouldn't have to purchase new tickets yourself, that's TK problem now.
As others have suggested, TK agents will definitely assist her with rebooking and/or hotel, including transport to/from hotel, meal vouchers, phone vouchers, etc.
At the TK transfer desk, if there is a huge line she might receive priority along with other families traveling with small children/infants (as in other people in line might let her move up...)
Good luck to you and next time, after this experience, hopefully you guys will better plan these journeys..
Gnopps and hugoli like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thank you for the reply.
So you recommend to go in Turkish Airlines flight, tomorrow. They will give special assist because of the children so she dont need to be in long queues to get a hotel + the food... I really dont know how it works..if vouchers or if the hotel have a restaurant where she can order what she wants in a limit budget or if she have to pay and then ask for refund.....
- Should I tell her to go directly to the transfer desk to rebook the flights? And then the hotel matter, on the same desk she can take care?\

But free of charge? Or the connection flight with other company she would need to have form of payment?

Thanks for the help.
She must also proceed to the hotel desk for a hotel room if necessary, there they would give her the hotel voucher, transportation details and meal vouchers. The transfer desk could only rebook passengers. Just a reminder that, if your family needs an overnight stay in Istanbul, they might need a e-visa/visa as well depending on their nationality. Just be aware of that as well.

If TK rebooks via Europe with a different carrier, all would be included and you won't pay nothing.

I am wondering how the case would end, so please inform the community after your wife solves the issue.
hugoli likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by LAX21
You shouldn't have to purchase new tickets yourself, that's TK problem now.
As others have suggested, TK agents will definitely assist her with rebooking and/or hotel, including transport to/from hotel, meal vouchers, phone vouchers, etc.
At the TK transfer desk, if there is a huge line she might receive priority along with other families traveling with small children/infants (as in other people in line might let her move up...)
Good luck to you and next time, after this experience, hopefully you guys will better plan these journeys..
She will not get any priority in the line. Also transfer desk will provide meal vouchers only if you ask. Hotel desk is outside passport control by Starbucks. Evisa can be done online or you can buy at visa desk for 50% higher cost.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:08 am

Looks like the flight is picking up speed and might arrive earlier than the 15:22 time estimated by TK's website.
There are several choices for rerouting today - via MAD, LGW, FRA, etc. It all depends on how much time they recover en-route and how backed up the transfer desk will be...
hugoli likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There seems to be seats on the following flights this afternoon:

TK1635 IST-MUC 16:55-17:45
TP553 MUC-LIS 19:35-21:50
TP1968 LIS-OPO 23:00-23:55

TK1863 IST-FCO 17:15-17:55
TP843 FCO-LIS 19:35-21:40
hugoli likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
There seems to be seats on the following flights this afternoon:

TK1635 IST-MUC 16:55-17:45
TP553 MUC-LIS 19:35-21:50

TK1863 IST-FCO 17:15-17:55
TP843 FCO-LIS 19:35-21:40
It's landing in 46 min. There are 1-stop connections available as well...
TK1859 IST-MAD 14:05-16:50
UX1141 MAD-OPO 18:55-19:10

TK1997 IST-LGW 14:35-15:50
TP 1335 LGW-OPO 20:45-23:00

TK1593 IST-FRA 15:25-16:30
LH1180 FRA-OPO 20:30-22:15
hugoli likes this.

Last edited by LAX21; Mar 12, 2019 at 3:54 am Reason: added flight details
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is also these flights if TK717 arríves a bit earlier:

TK1875 IST-MXP 16:30-17:25
TP817 MXP-OPO 22:10-23:55

TK1593 IST-FRA 15:25-16:30
LH1180 FRA-OPO 20:30-22:15
hugoli likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:04 am

I can now reply. Yesterday I couldnt reply anymore because of a 5 posts limit per 24h.

Unfortunely, it was very stressfull.

- NO ONE helped her. There wasnt any staff member available to help her in the procedures.
- NO PRIORITY. She went to transfer desk queue and stayed 4 HOURS in there with 2 small children.
- They book the flight for today, so, 1 night she had to stay.
- She was without any money and card, the company didnt provide VISA. She had to get from someone that trusted on her the ammount for 3 VISA.
- Few options for the meals: She and the children are Vegetarian and with intolerance disease to gluten. There wasnt any option for a piece of fruit. Yesterday and today, they havent eat almost nothing.

I understand a delay can occur and because of that a flight can be missed. I DONT understand how can a woman alone with 2 small tired and crying 2 year old kids must be alone all the way in this procedure. She asked for priority in the queue, she got the answer: "everyone are in the queue for the same problem". I paid the ADULT price for the 2.5 year old kids, no discount. I always travel with Lufthansa and I've only choosed TK because of the depart time 6am (better for the kids) instead of 1am. At a +400 EUR cost - the Lufthansa tickets were cheaper and with discount for children. How regret I am... with Lufthansa I could get compensation. With TK.. I dont think I will even recover the VISA ammount she paid...! TK, never more.....

If someone have any idea if I should open any procedure agains them, please let me know.
Thank you for all the help.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I can now reply. Yesterday I couldnt reply anymore because of a 5 posts limit per 24h.

Unfortunely, it was very stressfull.

- NO ONE helped her. There wasnt any staff member available to help her in the procedures.
- NO PRIORITY. She went to transfer desk queue and stayed 4 HOURS in there with 2 small children.
- They book the flight for today, so, 1 night she had to stay.
- She was without any money and card, the company didnt provide VISA. She had to get from someone that trusted on her the ammount for 3 VISA.
- Few options for the meals: She and the children are Vegetarian and with intolerance disease to gluten. There wasnt any option for a piece of fruit. Yesterday and today, they havent eat almost nothing.

I understand a delay can occur and because of that a flight can be missed. I DONT understand how can a woman alone with 2 small tired and crying 2 year old kids must be alone all the way in this procedure. She asked for priority in the queue, she got the answer: "everyone are in the queue for the same problem". I paid the ADULT price for the 2.5 year old kids, no discount. I always travel with Lufthansa and I've only choosed TK because of the depart time 6am (better for the kids) instead of 1am. At a +400 EUR cost - the Lufthansa tickets were cheaper and with discount for children. How regret I am... with Lufthansa I could get compensation. With TK.. I dont think I will even recover the VISA ammount she paid...! TK, never more.....

If someone have any idea if I should open any procedure agains them, please let me know.
Thank you for all the help.
This is what happened to everyone on my DEL flight too. Also at hotel wasn’t much vegetarian option for dinner, but there was a lot for breakfast. Regarding small kids many people are in this situation so don’t expect much sympathy there from anyone at airline or even fellow passengers. Regarding evisa you could have bought for her and sent via email. Not to be judge mental but to go anywhere in the world without at least a little cash, much less credit cards, is a really bad and risky idea.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by slickvik
Not to be judge mental but to go anywhere in the world without at least a little cash, much less credit cards, is a really bad and risky idea.
Yes, you are right. But only when se was in the gate we realize we completly forgot about that matter... I stayed with all the money and cards. On the beggining I didnt concert too much since it was supposed to be a easy flight and no money needed... but now I learned in the hard way...
I just dont think it is fair all this situation, expenses and time and not having any compensation or at least a refund of the expenses.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:25 am

Yes, you are right. But only when se was in the gate we realize we completly forgot about that matter... I stayed with all the money and cards. On the beggining I didnt concert too much since it was supposed to be a easy flight and no money needed... but now I learned in the hard way...
I just dont think it is fair all this situation, expenses and time and not having any compensation or at least a refund of the expenses.
contact TK help desk on Twitter
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to hear that it didn't went as smoothly as expected yesterday for your wife and children, and I understand your frustration. BUT it is also important to keep in mind that you hardly can't blame TK for Pakistani airspace closure (all flights to/from Europe from DEL are delayed now) and imagine having to deal with rebookings for the majority of pax that arrived from DEL on the B77W yesterday- not an easy task! No wonder that there were lines and a lot waiting time. This is something that one has to accept when traveling and something unforeseen like this happen (it could easily have happen at FRA and MUC if they had been travelling with LH and had to get rebooked there). I would also say that to some extent I understand the comments from the TK agent about all pax being in the "same boat" regardless of children, illness, missing flights or whatever excuse may come up when trying get in front of the line.

Maybe your travel insurance will cover the visa expenses or any other expenses incurred? I fail to see TK being liable to pay compensation on top of the hotel, transportation, rebookings etc that were arranged free of charge.

At least your wife and children are now on their way to OPO and most likely will arrive well later today.
Gnopps likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:43 am

BUT it is also important to keep in mind that you hardly can't blame TK for Pakistani airspace closure (all flights to/from Europe from DEL are delayed now) and imagine having to deal with rebookings for the majority of pax that arrived from DEL on the B77W yesterday- not an easy task! No wonder that there were lines and a lot waiting time. This is something that one has to accept when traveling and something unforeseen like this happen (it could easily have happen at FRA and MUC if they had been travelling with LH and had to get rebooked there).
The flight took +30min because it took a different way. Thats acceptable. But the 2.5hour delay, I dont understand the reason for it. Pakistan closed the airspace days ago, this delay is happening everything as I saw in the historic in Flighstats.

You are correct, LUFTHANSA is also arriving with 2h30 to 3hour delay.

BUT, with Lufthansa, there is by law a compensation...around 600eur, 3 persons...would big more than enough to compensate all the circunstances.

I understand it could be not TK fault for the delay. But I dont understand why pregnant woman, small children, old people with reduced mobility.. are in the same queue for 4 hours. Also, the way the staff manage and talk with someone that are extremely tired and in a dificult situation. For the staff, is just 1 more day of work, for the passengers, is a hard situation.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:44 am

Sorry to hear that it didn't went as smoothly as expected yesterday for your wife and children, and I understand your frustration. BUT it is also important to keep in mind that you hardly can't blame TK for Pakistani airspace closure (all flights to/from Europe from DEL are delayed now) and imagine having to deal with rebookings for the majority of pax that arrived from DEL on the B77W yesterday- not an easy task! No wonder that there were lines and a lot waiting time. This is something that one has to accept when traveling and something unforeseen like this happen (it could easily have happen at FRA and MUC if they had been travelling with LH and had to get rebooked there). I would also say that to some extent I understand the comments from the TK agent about all pax being in the "same boat" regardless of children, illness, missing flights or whatever excuse may come up when trying get in front of the line.

Maybe your travel insurance will cover the visa expenses or any other expenses incurred? I fail to see TK being liable to pay compensation on top of the hotel, transportation, rebookings etc that were arranged free of charge.

At least your wife and children are now on their way to OPO and most likely will arrive well later today.
The problem is TK took hours and were totally disorganized. I saw that my ticket was changed online and only then did I get my boarding passes when showing the changed ticket on my phone to the agent. Also TK could’ve put people on alternate flights to begin with but refused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.