Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Delayed Flight, will miss connection. What to do/expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed Flight, will miss connection. What to do/expect?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately, you won't be eligible for any compensation. Compensation on TK is only given on overbooking's or under the EU261/2004 agreement. The routing DEL-IST-IAH is not eligible for EU261/2004. The only thing that TK should give you is that a rebooking, accommodation, food and transport to/from the hotel. By the way you might get miles for L on the IST-IAD route if you credit your miles to Miles&Smiles and not another *A FF program. On TK flights, mileage is based on the fare basis ( what you have paid ). However, on other Star Alliance carriers, mileage is based on the fare class ( the letter next to the flight ).

In addition, TK does not help their customers rebooking to another airline. If you have called the call center they wouldn't rebook you on another airline which would cost them a lot.
They booked some people on qatar yesterday surprisingly. One of my legs is united also but not long haul so probably not a huge loss. I think I’m eligible for refund of fare according to Turkish airlines passenger rights which is basically 600 euros as it is.

Last edited by slickvik; Mar 11, 2019 at 12:08 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I doubt you would have been rebooked to other carrier from DEL to IAH if you had called TK customer line. Call center agents will refuse it and may not be authorised to rebook like that. Most likely you would have been told to travel to IST and take it from there.

Secondly, you are not seeking a "refund" - you may be eligible to compensation from TK but not a refund. Refund and compensation is not the same (at least legally).

Sorry, but TK can't delay the dept. of a flight just because some pax are delayed and will misconnect. It may lead to a lot of misconnecting pax at IAH, rebookings etc. Paying for hotel and rebooking you via IAD is most likely far cheaper than costs incurred if the IAH flight arrives excessively late.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slickvik
I should have called call center once the delay was official as they could have rerouted me through FRA or LHR. .
All flights from DEL to Europe seems to arrive late due to the Pakistani airspace closure. So even if you had been rerouted via FRA or LHR there would have been a high chance that you would have missed the onward flight from there as well.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slickvik
They booked some people on qatar yesterday surprisingly.
At the TK transfer center at IST, right? TK airport staff can rebook like this (OAL) however, TK call center agents can't. Another very good reason why you should always let the airport agents deal with the rebooking; you will get nowhere with the TK call centers (unless being rebooked to the next TK flight is what you are looking for).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by SK AAR
All flights from DEL to Europe seems to arrive late due to the Pakistani airspace closure. So even if you had been rerouted via FRA or LHR there would have been a high chance that you would have missed the onward flight from there as well.
I would have had overnight layover
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:38 pm

I doubt you would have been rebooked to other carrier from DEL to IAH if you had called TK customer line. Call center agents will refuse it and may not be authorised to rebook like that. Most likely you would have been told to travel to IST and take it from there.

Secondly, you are not seeking a "refund" - you may be eligible to compensation from TK but not a refund. Refund and compensation is not the same (at least legally).

Sorry, but TK can't delay the dept. of a flight just because some pax are delayed and will misconnect. It may lead to a lot of misconnecting pax at IAH, rebookings etc. Paying for hotel and rebooking you via IAD is most likely far cheaper than costs incurred if the IAH flight arrives excessively late.
TK held SFO and LAX flights for connecting passengers but IAH and ATL loads were not enough.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:11 am

At the TK transfer center at IST, right? TK airport staff can rebook like this (OAL) however, TK call center agents can't. Another very good reason why you should always let the airport agents deal with the rebooking; you will get nowhere with the TK call centers (unless being rebooked to the next TK flight is what you are looking for).
@SK AAR can you please adivice me?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:12 am

Hello, I just saw this situation and maybe I can get some help.
- I left my wife with 2 small children in DELHI airport. Flight Delhi- Istambul - Porto.

She found out the flight was delayed and departed with 2h30 delay. She is in the flight right now. She will lose the connection.

- She is with 2 small children
- She have NO MONEY AND NO CREDIT CARD, Nothing!! the layover was for around 1h30 so we didnt thought that any money will be spent. Actually we travelled during 1 month and I was with the money and cards all the time, we simply forgot about that matter.
- She dropped 2 big luggage, around 55kg total.
- She is not prepared with diapers and special food for our babies for so long.

I don't know what to do.
She is alone. Without money. Can't go to long queues with 2 small children (3 and 4years)
I dont find any flight from Turkish to Porto, probably she will have to stay for the next day. Next day there is no direct flight. Must stop in Lisboa so it will be 10h instead of 5hours total flight.

What should I do in the next hours so I could prepare her arrival in the airport to be as easiest as possible? Anything possible to do???

After all of that, is there any claim that I can or should do?

Flights details:
TK717 Classe Economy (P) 6:55 Delhi (India) Aeroporto Internacional Indira Gandhi 11:30 Istambul (Turquia) Aeroporto Ataturk Aeroporto Ataturk 1h 5m TK1451 Turkish Airlines BOEING B737-800 Classe Economy (P) 12:35 Istambul (Turquia) Aeroporto Ataturk 14:45 Porto (Portugal) Aeroporto Francisco Sá Carneiro

Please, Help!
Thank you
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:11 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by hugoli
- I left my wife with 2 small children in DELHI airport. Flight Delhi- Istambul - Porto.

She found out the flight was delayed and departed with 2h30 delay. She is in the flight right now. She will lose the connection.

- She have NO MONEY AND NO CREDIT CARD, Nothing!! the layover was for around 1h30 so we didnt thought that any money will be spent. Actually we travelled during 1 month and I was with the money and cards all the time, we simply forgot about that matter.

I don't know what to do.
She is alone. Without money. Can't go to long queues with 2 small children (3 and 4years)
I dont find any flight from Turkish to Porto, probably she will have to stay for the next day. Next day there is no direct flight. Must stop in Lisboa so it will be 10h instead of 5hours total flight.

What should I do in the next hours so I could prepare her arrival in the airport to be as easiest as possible? Anything possible to do???

Flights details:
TK717 Classe Economy (P) 6:55 Delhi (India) Aeroporto Internacional Indira Gandhi 11:30 Istambul (Turquia) Aeroporto Ataturk Aeroporto Ataturk 1h 5m TK1451 Turkish Airlines BOEING B737-800 Classe Economy (P) 12:35 Istambul (Turquia) Aeroporto Ataturk 14:45 Porto (Portugal) Aeroporto Francisco Sá Carneiro

Please, Help!
Thank you
If she is delayed TK staff will be able to assist with rebooking and hotel if needed.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

I don't know what to do.

Flights details:

Please, Help!
Thank you
Just a reminder that TK would provide accommodation, food, transport to/from the hotel if necessary. She needs to go to the transfer desk to rebook her flights. Just a quick note that they could also rebook her on a flight to another European destination today and then provide another flight from that European destination to Porto. Unfortunately, I am sorry to say that the routing that you give is not entitled for any compensation so it is your own responsibility to have money/credit cards for personal expenses. Her bags would be fine and would be automatically rerouted through her re-routed itinerary. If she wants, she could ask to claim that at Istanbul but I imagine that it would be hard to carry 55kgs especially with 2 small kids.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing

I don't know what to do.

Flights details:

Please, Help!
Thank you
wow..
They will either rebook her for the next day or route thru LIS.
No money and no credit cards and with small children?
Worst case scenario if she really needs money would be for you to send her some via WesternUnion (there is a GarantiBank in the airport that has WU)
hugoli likes this.

Last edited by LAX21; Mar 12, 2019 at 1:36 am Reason: added info
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
If she is delayed TK staff will be able to assist with rebooking and hotel if needed.
Yes, but I am looking for advice so when she arrive (she is in flight right now) she could have some usefull info so she dont go from one counter to an other.
I have never been in this situation so I am trying to guide her. "TK staff will be able to assist" but I have read so many bad reviews about this matter in the last hour that I am afraid about what could happen. If she was alone, it was ok, she is easy going. But she is carrying 2 babies, without any assist. So, moving from one queue to an other, waiting in queues to maybe get answers to she need to wait and wait for a solution...

There is flights today to Porto but its a Turkish + other company flight. Its very important for them to arrive in Porto today. She really is not prepared with the special needs and food they require, they have some allergies.

I can give important information that could let her dont feel so lost and save time if on her arrival she goes and do what best should be done in this situations. There will be more people on same situation and probably not enough seats in the next flight tomorrow. I really need to try to put her in a solution to arrive today. There is like 1 flight Istambul (turkish Airlines) - Zurique (Easyjet) - Porto but it costs 380 Eur each ticket (3 tickets would be expensive)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Yes, but I am looking for advice so when she arrive (she is in flight right now) she could have some usefull info so she dont go from one counter to an other.
I have never been in this situation so I am trying to guide her. "TK staff will be able to assist" but I have read so many bad reviews about this matter in the last hour that I am afraid about what could happen. If she was alone, it was ok, she is easy going. But she is carrying 2 babies, without any assist. So, moving from one queue to an other, waiting in queues to maybe get answers to she need to wait and wait for a solution...

There is flights today to Porto but its a Turkish + other company flight. Its very important for them to arrive in Porto today. She really is not prepared with the special needs and food they require, they have some allergies.

I can give important information that could let her dont feel so lost and save time if on her arrival she goes and do what best should be done in this situations. There will be more people on same situation and probably not enough seats in the next flight tomorrow. I really need to try to put her in a solution to arrive today. There is like 1 flight Istambul (turkish Airlines) - Zurique (Easyjet) - Porto but it costs 380 Eur each ticket (3 tickets would be expensive)
Yes, it is true that Turkish Airlines is not the best handling passengers in these kinds of situations. However, I don't think TK interlines with Easyjet Switzerland and it would be cheaper for them to give them a hotel room and rebook on a partner airline. However, just a reminder that if you decide to pay for another IST-XXX-OPO ticket for your wife and your kids, TK would consider you as no-show and if you have one, your return would be cancelled. I am sorry about the situation, but it's Turkish Airlines being Turkish Airlines.
hugoli likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Just a reminder that TK would provide accommodation, food, transport to/from the hotel if necessary. She needs to go to the transfer desk to rebook her flights. Just a quick note that they could also rebook her on a flight to another European destination today and then provide another flight from that European destination to Porto. Unfortunately, I am sorry to say that the routing that you give is not entitled for any compensation so it is your own responsibility to have money/credit cards for personal expenses. Her bags would be fine and would be automatically rerouted through her re-routed itinerary. If she wants, she could ask to claim that at Istanbul but I imagine that it would be hard to carry 55kgs especially with 2 small kids.
Hard to say about compensation I got it for a 7 hour delay for IST-YYZ and was told by some here that I wouldn’t get it.
hugoli likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:38 am

tell her to go to transfer desk and ask to be sent the next day. Turkish will provide hotel with dinner and breakfast and transport back and forth. She can get away this time without money but it’s not a good practice anywhere in the world.
hugoli likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.