Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkish won't admit they cancelled my flight

Turkish won't admit they cancelled my flight

Old Mar 27, 18, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Angry Turkish won't refund me for missed flight

I posted earlier but I got some details mixed up so here's the correct problem:
This is about the weirdest situation I have ever found myself in. And I fly pretty often. On Mar 21, my son and I had a flight out of JFK with Turkish Air. About two hours before the flight, we got alerts it had been cancelled, along with many other flights, due to Toby. Well, we ended booking flights back home with the airline we used to go to JFK (JetBlue) and also called our travel agency, who would not help us in any reasonable way (Gate1 Travel). Turkish Air told us we have to get a refund from the agency, since that is who booked us, but the agency says they have a no refund policy and to talk to Turkish! THEN, the agency told me I could re-book on the next day's Turkish flight to Rome... for another $4600. I should mention that the no refund policy only describes situations wherein *I* am the one cancelling.Something is not right here. Because we were offered a different flight, the insurance won't pay up, even though the other flight would have cost such an insane amount.
What do I do? Who is actually responsible, the agency or the airline?

Last edited by dwatson0103; Mar 27, 18 at 7:22 pm
Old Mar 27, 18, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your insurance carrier will also verify that the flight was cancelled and will find that it was not and then deny your claim.

The best you can do here is to take screen shots of the text messages from TK announcing the cancellation and submit those to TK for a refund of the ticket. If that does not work, try a credit card dispute and include the text message screen shots.

In addition, make sure that you file a DOT complaint.
Old Mar 27, 18, 7:16 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Who sent you the alert? TK or Travel Agency? I do not recall receiving any alerts from TK
Old Mar 27, 18, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I got the alert from TK and from the FlightAware app; you can look it up still and see it was cancelled. You may have read my first post; I got the dates wrong on it.
Old Mar 28, 18, 12:01 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ G
Yes. Flightradar24 shows TK4 was cancelled on March 21. TK had another flight around midnight that day TK12.
Who is your awful travel agent?
Old Mar 28, 18, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerby View Post
Yes. Flightradar24 shows TK4 was cancelled on March 21. TK had another flight around midnight that day TK12.
Who is your awful travel agent?
Gate1 Travel
Old Mar 28, 18, 6:08 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ G
Originally Posted by dwatson0103 View Post
Gate1 Travel
Is it gate1travel.com? They seem to be selling travel packages. Did you buy a package?