Tea on business class

Old Jan 21, 18, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Tea on business class

Hello

When I fly TK on J, the tea that they serve is a bagged tea with the slogan "fly good feel good" on the sachet wrapper. It's just so good, and I wanted to buy some more here from the US. Would anyone know where to find them (or something that's of similar taste / quality?) It's not just any herbal tea, but it has that distinct "smell" that's common among all of their herbal teas (even the ones in the lounge).
I did some google search but I don't find any that's sold and shipped to a US address
Old Jan 21, 18, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
The ones on board and the ones in the lounge are the same, they are custom-made blends for TK produced in Turkey. I don't think that you can buy the same thing in the US but rumor has it people may slip a teabag or two into their pockets at the IST lounge....

Teavana (owned by Starbucks), David's Tea and Tea Gschwendner are merchants that would probably ship similar blends in the US.
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Uhmm... yeah I a couple teabags might have "fallen" into my pockets at the lounge, and I just drank it today, and hence the question
But even the herbal tea that you mix yourself in the lounge (the ones stored in glass jars) have that "smell"... I don't know if it's a Turkish thing or a TK thing.

Thanks for the store list. I have not tried Gschwendner but will give it a try. David's Tea's herbal tea is pretty good but not "spice-y" enough, it's very American. Or maybe I haven't tried the right blend just yet.
Old Jan 22, 18, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
I was just pouring a cup of tea in the kitchen of our office in Istanbul, and searching the cabinets I could only find Lipton products. I suspect what we use here for the classic Turkish tea is "Lipton Yellow Label", it does taste like what you get in the TK lounge and most other places in the city, so I suspect it is a special version for Turkey.
Old Jan 22, 18, 11:27 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I was just pouring a cup of tea in the kitchen of our office in Istanbul, and searching the cabinets I could only find Lipton products. I suspect what we use here for the classic Turkish tea is "Lipton Yellow Label", it does taste like what you get in the TK lounge and most other places in the city, so I suspect it is a special version for Turkey.
I think the Turkish black tea is a blend of Ceylon and something - my friend gave me a box from her Turkish friend and they are definitely not the same as regular Lipton you find outside Turkey.
Old Jan 22, 18, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I think the Turkish black tea is a blend of Ceylon and something - my friend gave me a box from her Turkish friend and they are definitely not the same as regular Lipton you find outside Turkey.
As I said, I suspect it is a special version for the Turkish market. Let me see if there is a readable label on the box.
Old Jan 23, 18, 3:07 am

I know a tea seller in China who said that he has clients from Turkey buying tea from him - I like Chinese tea and Turkish tea reminds me of that somewhat. The black tea in the lounge is too strong to drink it plain and I guess it must be the reason why there's hot water next to it.

The writing on my box said black tea in Turkish.
Old Jan 23, 18, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know a tea seller in China who said that he has clients from Turkey buying tea from him - I like Chinese tea and Turkish tea reminds me of that somewhat. The black tea in the lounge is too strong to drink it plain and I guess it must be the reason why there's hot water next to it.

The writing on my box said black tea in Turkish.
Basically the tea in the pot is always too strong to drink. The hot water on the side is to dilute it.

I will take a picture of our box here later and post it for any Turkish speakers....
Old Jan 23, 18, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Basically the tea in the pot is always too strong to drink. The hot water on the side is to dilute it.

I will take a picture of our box here later and post it for any Turkish speakers....
I don't think everyone feels the same - saw some Turks took the strong tea and add sugar. I was wondering how anyone could drink it just like that, and I tried to see what people do and found out that they put sugar in.
Old Jan 23, 18, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If someone can read and translate, this is what it says on the box that is used for the Turkish tea in our office.

Old Jan 23, 18, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think everyone feels the same - saw some Turks took the strong tea and add sugar. I was wondering how anyone could drink it just like that, and I tried to see what people do and found out that they put sugar in.
I do sometimes take it with no extra water and no sugar. But I am definitely in the minority group when I do.
Old Jan 23, 18, 8:57 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nyold View Post
Hello

When I fly TK on J, the tea that they serve is a bagged tea with the slogan "fly good feel good" on the sachet wrapper. It's just so good, and I wanted to buy some more here from the US. Would anyone know where to find them (or something that's of similar taste / quality?) It's not just any herbal tea, but it has that distinct "smell" that's common among all of their herbal teas (even the ones in the lounge).
I did some google search but I don't find any that's sold and shipped to a US address
Since you are based in the US try tulumba.com

https://tulumba.com/products/c4482-b...urkish/#prcode
Old Jan 24, 18, 10:12 am

Programs: Multiple
Another quick recommendation if you're located in a major city with a large Turkish population, try visiting markets in the neighborhoods they live in. If New York based for example, check out Sunnyside, Queens.
Old Jan 24, 18, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by siberslava View Post

Since you are based in the US try tulumba.com

https://tulumba.com/products/c4482-b...urkish/#prcode
Awesome, thank you!! I'll give this one a try.

I also do dilute the lounge black tea with hot water, but I thought the hot water there is mostly for people who drink the tea from the teabags or who mix their own herbal tea (stored in jars)?
Old Jan 29, 18, 8:20 am

Programs: TK Elite+, UA Silver, DL Silver, SPG Plat, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I really liked the olive oil they served with my in-flight meal in J, so I asked about it and they gave me a bunch of tiny bottles to take home. You may have luck asking at the lounge (try to get a manager). Just be careful taking a baggie of loose leaves through customs when you land

Search this Thread
Search Engine: