FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Visa and dropping the last leg (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1887001-visa-dropping-last-leg.html)

broland Jan 8, 2018 5:44 am

Visa and dropping the last leg

I have redeemed miles (with a TK partner) to fly JFK-IST-AUH and another ticket to fly DXB-ZRH with EK. The problem is I need a visa to be in AUH and TK does not offer the service, nor does EK, since I will be leaving the country with them. I tried hotels and travel agencies and the price is off the roof. So I was thinking of using JFK-IST, dropping the IST-AUH leg, and buying the IST-TBS myself.
I am afraid the agent might not let me check in since I don't have a visa to my original final destination.
My question is: in JFK can I ask the agent to check me in just on the JFK-IST leg, drop the IST-AUH and then IST-TBS? I will have just a carry on, which make things easier.
Any input is appreciated!

Often1 Jan 8, 2018 6:15 am

As you have not provided citizenship and residence information, the simple question is to ask whether you have the proper documents to enter at both IST and TBS? What carrier have you booked JFK-IST-AUH? Why are you considering waiting until your check-in at JFK to have your ticket changed?

Hoppala007 Jan 8, 2018 6:34 am

how much is off the roof price for you !

100-110usd is standart

Vize Ba?vurusu ? Dubai Tur
last time I had to get from this company .. during that time was 95usd but now higher.
it is in Turkish but if you email them probably get very quick answer.

this is not a recommendation ..just info.
when you get the visa letter , you can verify it here..I guess

http://ednrd.ae/portal/pls/portal/IN...y_VisaValidity

irishguy28 Jan 8, 2018 7:10 am

Originally Posted by broland (Post 29264638)
I am afraid the agent might not let me check in since I don't have a visa to my original final destination.

If you don't have a visa for your ticketed destination, then you should not be allowed to depart. It is your responsibility to ensure you have the necessary travel documents, and if you don't, you stand to lose the entire ticket.

If you instead wish to "negotiate" the ticket to the transfer point, then the airline will be within their rights to reprice the ticket accordingly. In most cases, this would require extra payment, particularly if done only at the airport on the day of departure.

I would advise you to either a) obtain the necessary visas/documentation for your ticketed destination, or b) contact the agent that issued the ticket, and pay whatever fee is required to change the ticket to terminate in IST ASAP, rather than leaving it till the day of departure.

(Your initial post seems to ignore the fact that, if you don't fly to AUH, and don't obtain a visa for the UAE, you won't be able to take your next ticket which you state is DXB-ZRH (DXB and AUH are both in the United Arab Emirates and therefore the same lack of a visa that prevents you from flying to AUH will prevent you from getting to DXB to take this flight). You have dropped in TBS out of the blue. You would be advised not to buy tickets to destinations other than the place you actually want to be, if it is actually TBS that you need to get to.)

craigthemif Jan 8, 2018 7:14 am

Does AUH have a visa on arrival facility for your nationality? If so, you can claim that you will obtain your visa on arrival and that ought to be fine.

Otherwise, you simply won't be allowed to check in or will be forced to change your ticket and pay the appropriate change in fare / penalties.

It's also worth noting that - unless you travel with carry on only - you will also need a Turkish visa to go landside and check in for that separate IST-TBS. (although I'm confused because you mention a DXB-ZRH)

Often1 Jan 8, 2018 7:50 am

It is also confusing because OP says that he is traveling to ZRH on two tickets, but then later says that he is headed to TBH. Is there a third ticket for travel ZRH-TBH?

The exact ticketing details and routing for the entire journey from JFK-TBH, showing where the ticket breaks are and how long OP plans on remaining at each point, would be helpful.

broland Jan 8, 2018 9:31 am

So, I will explain my situation better: I am a Brazilian national, so I need a transit visa to UAE. I do not need a visa to TBS, though.
I ticketed JFK-IST-AUH using miles from a TK partner. So, no money involved and the ticked was issued by a partner and not TK.
My plan is to spend a day visiting AUH and then I would go do DXB and spend 2 days visiting.
To leave DXB, I redeemed miles to fly with Emirates to Zurich.

The problem then is: I cannot use travel agencies in Dubai because I will be arriving in Abu Dhabi, another emirate. The price that was charged to me was over USD 200 by the hotel, which demanded I booked a room with them for the whole 3 days. So I have to factor in the cost of transport to take me to visit Dubai in 2 different days + the taxi from AUH to the airport in DXB. This alone will cost me more than USD 400. So, not an option.

What I thought I could do was to drop the last leg (IST - AUH) and buy a ticked to TBS - which is a place I have been wanting to visit - with TK. As I will only have a carry on, I was thinking of deplaning in IST and checking in to TBS later on on the same day. The problem is the check in at JFK: if I present the ticket to TBS, will the TK agent allow me to board the plane and check me in just to IST (using the first ticket)? I do not need a visa to Turkey, either.

Hoppala007 Jan 8, 2018 9:55 am

well if it does not hurt you, dont go to uae, not worth to visit . All buildings with lots of cement.
And visa is really not a visa, just to get some income for uae. visa cost will be shared between uae government and agency.

better to save your money. I can assure you , with TK you will havr zero problem for boarding from jfk ( but probably they wont give you ist-auh boarding pass) , till you board your final destination which require visa , at this situation you wont be allowed to board ist-auh flight. Enjoy tbilisi, nice little city, although it will be cold at this time of the year, it is much better than visiting uae.
dont forget to eat khachapuri in tbilisi. :-)

it is similar to Turkish pide but dough is thicker.

broland Jan 8, 2018 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Hoppala007 (Post 29265494)
well if it does not hurt you, dont go to uae, not worth to visit . All buildings with lots of cement.
And visa is really not a visa, just to get some income for uae. visa cost will be shared between uae government and agency.

better to save your money. I can assure you , with TK you will havr zero problem for boarding from jfk ( but probably they wont give you ist-auh boarding pass) , till you board your final destination which require visa , at this situation you wont be allowed to board ist-auh flight. Enjoy tbilisi, nice little city, although it will be cold at this time of the year, it is much better than visiting uae.
dont forget to eat khachapuri in tbilisi. :-)

it is similar to Turkish pide but dough is thicker.

Thank you! Problem solved! Yesterday the agent made it so difficult to me to change flights, but today another agent rerouted me to TBS. And I will try the khachapuri!

craigthemif Jan 8, 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Hoppala007 (Post 29265494)
with TK you will havr zero problem for boarding from jfk ( but probably they wont give you ist-auh boarding pass) , till you board your final destination which require visa , at this situation you wont be allowed to board ist-auh flight.

Rely on this advice at your peril OP.

You might get lucky but it goes against standard practice for most airlines. I've been denied boarding on the first flight of a mileage run, simply because I didn't have proof of a flight departing my supposed final destination (which was a hidden city ticketing scenario) in a country where I didn't even need a visa...

broland Jan 9, 2018 3:25 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 29266731)
Rely on this advice at your peril OP.

You might get lucky but it goes against standard practice for most airlines. I've been denied boarding on the first flight of a mileage run, simply because I didn't have proof of a flight departing my supposed final destination (which was a hidden city ticketing scenario) in a country where I didn't even need a visa...

Thanks, Craig, but problem solved!