Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Please note that special rules apply to this thread given some of the recent arguments in this thread. I would like to draw your attention to the FT Rules, in particular about personal attacks, off topic and disruptive posts and discussing moderator action. From now on every rules violation in this thread will lead to immediate suspensions of posting privileges, no further warnings will be issued. These might be temporary or permanent. Should this not calm the situation down the thread will be closed down permanently.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Istanbul New Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:25 pm

Flying through IST on 10/30

Hello, first time poster here. I booked a flight to Cairo through IST not realizing that a new airport was being built. My flight leaves the US on 10/29 arriving in IST on 10/30 and continuing on to Cairo. Will this be affected by the move or has Turkish air taken this into consideration with their schedule? Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:52 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Welcome to FT and the TK forum Glymere ^

I m moving your post to the new airport thread. To answer your question, yes maybe. At the moment things are not exactly clear how TK operation will work on those dates but based on current information it is likely that you are will through Atatürk (old IST). This post will be useful: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30027168-post608.html
Granite64 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by Glymere
Hello, first time poster here. I booked a flight to Cairo through IST not realizing that a new airport was being built. My flight leaves the US on 10/29 arriving in IST on 10/30 and continuing on to Cairo. Will this be affected by the move or has Turkish air taken this into consideration with their schedule? Thanks
To be honest, no one knows. I am sure it will get a clearer picture by the time near your travel date.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:58 am

Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Yeni Airport hotels for forced layover

Hello. Is there any information yet available as to which hotels will be used by TK for forced layover in Jan 2019? Will Havatas be having services into or out of yeni havalimanı by that time? TSK
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. Is there any information yet available as to which hotels will be used by TK for forced layover in Jan 2019? Will Havatas be having services into or out of yeni havalimanı by that time? TSK
The new airport crystal balls are a little cloudy ....
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:10 am

Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Wasn't sure where to post this article with the visa issue thread now closed, but it indirectly will affect the new airport:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/w...ype=collection

Buried in the article is this specific quote:

"As talks stall over Mr. Brunson’s release, the Trump administration is considering a range of further sanctions against Turkey — including limits on Turkish Airlines, according to a senior administration official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss delicate negotiations."

Hopefully it never materializes.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which is exactly what I alluded to above with the FAA and TSA scheduled inspections supposedly being delayed. If they do not certify the airport, it means that TK cannot fly non-stop between the US and Istanbul (as well as Canada, and who knows who else might also have issues with an uncertified airport and wait for the FAA and TSA, there are a TONNE of countries that follow FAA guidance and several that follow TSA) Just North America and connections to/fr North America account for about 10% of all TK pax numbers. Then again this might all serve as a useful excuse to delay the opening of the new airport as many on this board and in the real world have thought for some time that a "foreign" excuse would be made to explain any delay and save face. Again, just rumors, but the NYT saying it now makes it more likely.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
Which is exactly what I alluded to above with the FAA and TSA scheduled inspections supposedly being delayed. If they do not certify the airport, it means that TK cannot fly non-stop between the US and Istanbul (as well as Canada, and who knows who else might also have issues with an uncertified airport and wait for the FAA and TSA, there are a TONNE of countries that follow FAA guidance and several that follow TSA) Just North America and connections to/fr North America account for about 10% of all TK pax numbers. Then again this might all serve as a useful excuse to delay the opening of the new airport as many on this board and in the real world have thought for some time that a "foreign" excuse would be made to explain any delay and save face. Again, just rumors, but the NYT saying it now makes it more likely.
He might just open the INA on time no matter the cost just to show his people that he is thumbing his nose at the big bad wolf,
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:26 am

UPS Cargo Building

Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:18 am

Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:30 pm

Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
For what it’s worth, there’s an interesting tidbit on lounge size: he mentions a 10k sq m lounge, that’s close to double the current one at IST.
In a newer article, the lounge size for the new airport is now mentioned as 16k sq m.
Sedat Guzel likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.