Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Please note that special rules apply to this thread given some of the recent arguments in this thread. I would like to draw your attention to the FT Rules, in particular about personal attacks, off topic and disruptive posts and discussing moderator action. From now on every rules violation in this thread will lead to immediate suspensions of posting privileges, no further warnings will be issued. These might be temporary or permanent. Should this not calm the situation down the thread will be closed down permanently.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Istanbul New Airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
It sure seems like they would benefit pushing the opening ~6 months back to Children's Day 2019, though I realize the significance of "opening" it on the 95th anniversary of the Republic. It seems like my November/December trip will be quite the experience upon landing at this rate.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Sinter
It sure seems like they would benefit pushing the opening ~6 months back to Children's Day 2019, though I realize the significance of "opening" it on the 95th anniversary of the Republic. It seems like my November/December trip will be quite the experience upon landing at this rate.
The 95th sounds like an odd, makeshift, anniversary. Far better to wait for the round century: and that way they'l have plenty of time to get things ready
craigthemif likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:50 am

Grand, They certainly need it.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by mafaky
Well, so far no aircraft (how big or small) has landed on that 1st 34/16 runway. Also, I haven't heard that the calibration flights have started; but that may be imminent.

As for the absence of the third runway: Well, yes; in one sense you are correct but the New Airport will have the advantage (or for the worse times/occasions, the disadvantage) of having two parallel and independent runways in operation. AHL has only two and becomes difficult to operate in very strong southern winds.

However, despite having two independeny operational runways, the New Airport will boast a much more spacious terminal even at its initial "crowded limit" of 90 mio pax/year. Under any case, the 3rd runway will be operational by that day!... And, in my gutfeel the Terminal may not be fully operational at the opening date. In my opinion three "eastern piers", namely PB5 (the north looking middle one), PB1 (the north looking eastern one) and PB2 (the south looking eastern one) will be fully operational. PB2 will be dedicated to domestic flights. It's also a question if and when the CIP Lounges will be totally in service,as well as a good part of the duty free and other sales shops, dining & wining facilities. The airport hotel inside the terminal will not be ready, most likely. Any other shopping, recreational or administrative facilities located in the southern part , outside the terminal (in the car parks south...) will certainly be not ready. Only a small part of the General Cargo Terminal may be ready. TK's dedicated Cargo Terminal is nowhere yet to be seen!... TK says they will setup a satellite catering facility (like the one they have in they will have a satellite catering facility as they have at SAW (the meals will be done still at AHL, and temporarily/daily stored at the New Airport, before being loaded on the aircraft...) and this practice may continue for a longish term (say 18 months, from the beginning of 2019)...

I know, not a very optimistic picture but it looks like that way!...
Are you involved with the project? That is plenty of information.

Overall it just seems poorly planned, how can they not plan for the other infrastructures.

What is the reason they won't delay the opening? Is Eradogan going to fire the airport chief?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by nocturne14
Are you involved with the project? That is plenty of information.

Overall it just seems poorly planned, how can they not plan for the other infrastructures.

What is the reason they won't delay the opening? Is Eradogan going to fire the airport chief?
Without getting too much into the politics of it, there are Parliament and Presidential elections in 2019 (which may get moved up), and the new airport has been one of his big infrastructure selling points.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
@ nocturne14:

No, I'm not involved directly in the Project, but I'm a curious outsider follower and I also have some limited access to inside information thru several channels.

I guess you are not a Turksh citizen or living in Turkey so it's really very difficult for me to explain to you the "mentality involved". The approaching elections is one factor, but there are others... If I just say "Plan as Germans, start as Turks and finish as Swedes1" this will mean something to you! (Though the recent and much criticised Berlin Brandenburg AP case may not be a very positive point for he Germans...)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:59 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
First test flight is apparently scheduled for 15 May now.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was originally planned for something like 15 FEB as part of their tight timeline, so it will be 3 months late, and that is just one runway. I believe originally the second was supposed to have started testing by now..........
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Yahoo News: Giant new Istanbul airport '85 pct done, to open on time’

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/39...-open-on-time/
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by flyerby
Yahoo News: Giant new Istanbul airport '85 pct done, to open on time’
That's great. I'm now 110% certain it will open on time
starflyergold likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:41 am

Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:19 pm

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...680219593.html

Yotel to operate the airport hotel, with 102 rooms airside and the balance landside.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Sinter
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...680219593.html

Yotel to operate the airport hotel, with 102 rooms airside and the balance landside.
I'm used to spending 5k Hilton points for hotels around Ataturk. I hope they add a few Hamptons and Garden Inns very close to the new airport.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: TK Gold
It seems there's nothing around the airport, let alone hotels. Interesting to see how quickly the terminal is built - it seems empty and nothing a few months ago and it seems the terminal is half done.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I'm used to spending 5k Hilton points for hotels around Ataturk. I hope they add a few Hamptons and Garden Inns very close to the new airport.
There will be at least one (maybe two) other hotels in the Airport City Zone, which lies in the south of the multi-storey carpark of Terminal 1. The one mentioned above is located only inside of the Terminal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.