Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Please note that special rules apply to this thread given some of the recent arguments in this thread. I would like to draw your attention to the FT Rules, in particular about personal attacks, off topic and disruptive posts and discussing moderator action. From now on every rules violation in this thread will lead to immediate suspensions of posting privileges, no further warnings will be issued. These might be temporary or permanent. Should this not calm the situation down the thread will be closed down permanently.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Istanbul New Airport

Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

I refuse to be lounge-curiosity-shamed.
Should I alert mod's myself?
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by tcmb99
and for the airport being very far away from the city. that is how airports are built! have you ever seen anyone trying to make a new airport project that is in the middle of a city? unless it was built 50 years ago any major airport you go to makes you deal with long train or taxi rides to the city. this is how it works.
Just as a note, your uncapitalized text is really hard to read - at least for me.

What about LCY? It's pretty central and built in 1987.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: TK *G, SkyTeam Elite Plus

Too bad my Turkish is not so great, but maybe it will be interesting to someone.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:21 pm

Sinter and edisg like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Gates at INA

I've just discovered this thread and still don't have the time to go all the way thru... But I want to confirm a point or two, regarding the "number of gates" issue.

In Terminal 1 (presently under construction) you will see 5 piers. Starting from the farthest northwest one and moving in clockwise direction, these are PB3 - PB5 - PB1 - PB2 and PB4. PB2 is the one totally dedicated to domestic flights. On these 5 piers there will be 69 Gates. On the airside of the Terminal, between PB3 - PB5 and PB5 - PB1, there are a further 8 Gates. So the total number of Gates with jetways (passenger boarding bridges). So the total Gate count with jetways is 77. On 15 of these gates (the 8 gates just mentioned above) only a single Category C (narrowbody) airliner can dock, and these naturally have a single jetway. There are 25 gates where Category E (widebody) or Category C (narrowbody) airliners can dock, each with 2 jetways. 2 jetways can dock on a widebody but only one jetway can dock to a narrowbody. Then, there are 25 M.A.R.S. Gates again with 2 jetways each; using these either 25 widebodies or 50 narrowbodies can dock. Furthernore, there are 8 M.A.R.S. Gates for Category F (widebody; a380 and/or b748) airliners, with 2 jetways where a single Cat.F, or a single Cat.E or 2 Cat.C airliners can dock. Cat.F ones can get boarded only thru 2 jetways. In case of an a380 docking, the upper deck cannot be serviced by a jetway. Finally there are 4 M.A.R.S. Gates for Cat. F airliners with 3 jetways, where the a380's upper deck can also be accessible by a jetway.

To sum up:
Number of Gates : 15 + 25 + 25 + 8 + 4 = 77 (so there will be more waiting lounges inside the Terminal/Piers than 77...)
Number of Jetways: 15 + 25*2 + 25*2 + 8*2 + 4*3 = 143

From another angle: If and when all gates are occupied, the max. count of narrowbodies can be 114. The min. count will be 15 narrowbodies and max. 62
widebodies at a given time...@:-)

There will also be ample parking areas for 60 "remote standing airliners around the Terminal but I don't have the exact number of Remote Gates (=Bus Gates) inside the terminal. I presume it should be a like 30.
craigthemif and edisg like this.

Last edited by mafaky; Mar 15, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Mict
TK is not planning on moving its SAW operations to the new airport. SAW serves a massive population on the eastern side of Istanbul, giving that up would just give PC a huge advantage there.

Another interesting part is that TK Cargo is going to operate from both Ataturk and the new airport for awhile as all cargo facilities will not be ready at airport opening. Will be interesting to see how they will handle cargo connections.
All cargo flights will remain at Ataturk Airport, for a while... TK will be constructing a new and bigger (than the one at Ataturk) dedicated cargo terminal for its own operations at INA.
edisg likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by mafaky
I've just discovered this thread and still don't have the time to go all the way thru... But I want to confirm a point or two, regarding the "number of gates" issue.

In Terminal 1 (presently under construction) you will see 5 piers. Starting from the farthest northwest one and moving in clockwise direction, these are PB3 - PB5 - PB1 - PB2 and PB4. PB2 is the one totally dedicated to domestic flights. On these 5 piers there will be 69 Gates. On the airside of the Terminal, between PB3 - PB5 and PB5 - PB1, there are a further 8 Gates. So the total number of Gates with jetways (passenger boarding bridges). So the total Gate count with jetways is 77. On 15 of these gates (the 8 gates just mentioned above) only a single Category C (narrowbody) airliner can dock, and these naturally have a single jetway. There are 25 gates where Category E (widebody) or Category C (narrowbody) airliners can dock, each with 2 jetways. 2 jetways can dock on a widebody but only one jetway can dock to a narrowbody. Then, there are 25 M.A.R.S. Gates again with 2 jetways each; using these either 25 widebodies or 50 narrowbodies can dock. Furthernore, there are 8 M.A.R.S. Gates for Category F (widebody; a380 and/or b748) airliners, with 2 jetways where a single Cat.F, or a single Cat.E or 2 Cat.C airliners can dock. Cat.F ones can get boarded only thru 2 jetways. In case of an a380 docking, the upper deck cannot be serviced by a jetway. Finally there are 4 M.A.R.S. Gates for Cat. F airliners with 3 jetways, where the a380's upper deck can also be accessible by a jetway.

To sum up:
Number of Gates : 15 + 25 + 25 + 8 + 4 = 77 (so there will be more waiting lounges inside the Terminal/Piers than 77...)
Number of Jetways: 15 + 25*2 + 25*2 + 8*2 + 4*3 = 143

There will also be ample parking areas for 60 "remote standing airliners around the Terminal but I don't have the exact number of Remote Gates (=Bus Gates) inside the terminal. I presume figure like 30.
I'm always amazed by how people have all this insider information, I wish I could know all this already too but thanks for sharing! What sources do you use to find this information?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:45 am

Quick & simple answer: IGA, itself (indirectly)!

But I don't know EVERYTHING!... So pls. don't ask ANYTHING!...
edisg likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Sinter
Any chance photos of the metro link progress could be provided? As mentioned I've heard late 2019, while some have said it will be ready with the airport opening. Wikipedia itself states 2019, which of course is not 100% reliable. While I'm obviously fine with a taxi or havas bus during non-rush hour commutes from the airport, that will quickly become a nightmare during rush hour to get into the city proper.

Appreciate the photos, they're interesting to see the progress.
There are not too many photos that can be made public, as far as the metro system(s) are concerned. The M11 line between Gayrettepe & INA is physically under construction, with 2 (maybe 3, by now) TBMs drilling underground... Eventually there wil be 10 of these! The first two started boring at the Ihsaniye shaft, working towards Gokturk. This line is due to be completed by the end of 2019 (according to the tender document), which looks a bit difficult to achieve. But, so far, nobody knows openly about the delivery of the train sets (rolling stock) and when the test drivings can start; this part is not in the responsibility of the Contractors who will bore and build the tunnels and stations, lay out the rail tracks, provide & install electrification, communications, signalisation & safety equipment! If the operators of M11 can start indeed by the end of 2019, it will take a minimum of 6-8 months to be completed and fully tested/certified (these are "driverless sets"). The second line between Halkali & INA (call it Mxy): the tender has just been finalised/announced and the period allocated is 1500 days; say around 4 full years.... It's pretty much obvious that the TBMs that will be finished with M11, will be transferred to Mxy!...
Sinter and edisg like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Construction photos are nice. Keep them coming...

But I just read today the announcement of fare levels between Central London and Heathrow on the new Crossrail, only to realise that construction is done, and they are going to be testing for 10 months before it officially opens in central London. Sort of what you would expect for a major airport.
mafaky likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..............and not even mentioning that Crossrail as originally planned was supposed to have been open for the Queen's Jubilee, the Silver one in 1977..................
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by hfly
..............and not even mentioning that Crossrail as originally planned was supposed to have been open for the Queen's Jubilee, the Silver one in 1977..................
The UK is cursed as far as rail travel is concerned (tube mostly exempt).
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hfly
Planning takes time. Far too much time... But you have to admit that once they get down to building whatever it is, the job is usually done pretty well.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by mafaky
All cargo flights will remain at Ataturk Airport, for a while... TK will be constructing a new and bigger (than the one at Ataturk) dedicated cargo terminal for its own operations at INA.
That is interesting - does it mean the operation/business of cargo on passenger fleet and those on cargo fleet will be separated completely?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:30 pm

Yes, that looks inevitable. Al cargo flights from TK Cargo & other Cargo Carriers will remain a Ataturk for an unspecified period of time (maybe for a year after 2019 end October???), but this is deliberately not much publicised. PR is based on the readiness of the passenger Terminal and 2 Runways...

TK Cargo will be building a dedicated new Cargo Terminal at INA. Even that one will be built in more than one phase but the first phase will surely have the double capacity of what they already have at Ataturk AP. The dedicated cargo Terminal at Ataturk will eventually be abandoned; they will carry whatever internal equipment they can carry to the new location. So for a while TK's belly cargo and all cargo operations have to be separated. What is far important is that a General Cargo Terminal (at a moderate size/capacity) enough to support TK's & other's belly cargo should be available at INA on Day number One, but that facility is still not seen around till now...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.