Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Please note that special rules apply to this thread given some of the recent arguments in this thread. I would like to draw your attention to the FT Rules, in particular about personal attacks, off topic and disruptive posts and discussing moderator action. From now on every rules violation in this thread will lead to immediate suspensions of posting privileges, no further warnings will be issued. These might be temporary or permanent. Should this not calm the situation down the thread will be closed down permanently.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Istanbul New Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by cln
around 45 minutes depending on traffic

Is that a google maps suggestion?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Took 25 minutes to cover the 5km to the Courtyard Marriott the other day!
It should be quicker to get to airport hotels at the new airport. Oh wait... there aren't any hotels near the new airport...
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:38 am

Progressing... new pics in social media

drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Nice to see the tress are in. Good to get the priorities right.

Are the trees to remind passengers of the hundreds of thousand of cut down/destroyed: or perhaps some of the couple of million moved out of the way.

Always wondered how and where you locate 2,000,000 trees. But it's a big country
Gnopps and TPJ like this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sedat Guzel
Progressing... new pics in social media
These pictures are really interesting; it's great to see the progress, whatever your opinions on the status or state of the project.

Where "in social media" do you find such pictures? I'd love to know, so I can see more regular pictures of the construction progress than just what the airport company shares on its official page.

Thanks!
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:49 am

Instagram is a nice spot, real-time and different spots

​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by edisg
These pictures are really interesting; it's great to see the progress, whatever your opinions on the status or state of the project.

Where "in social media" do you find such pictures? I'd love to know, so I can see more regular pictures of the construction progress than just what the airport company shares on its official page.

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:24 am

So Sedat, when do you think the airport construction will be completed? It will be a miracle if they can finish that in six more months.

We haven't even talked about any testing.

Also my understanding from some is that none of the cargo, aircraft maintenance facilities have commenced construction. Is it feasible then to send back everything to the old airport while this is being constructed? 45 mins doesn't seem too bad but bad traffic probably isn't taken into account.

​​​​​
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:12 am

They’ll be on time with the Terminal-Building, Runways, linking Roads aso, so they can start in oparating Modus. There are more than 33.000 employees working day and night an making really impressive progress. All the other buildings and Metro stations will go in commission after all. Turkish Technic (Maintenance), Turkish Cargo will Transfer their location in 2019, 2020 or later... the Metro construction is already ongoing... simultaneously as many other important sides.
The main goal of the consortium is to make money as soon as possible, to crate cash flow. It must be possible to handle over 82-85 million Pax for THY in 2019 (75 million Pax in 2018). And this would be a great start. The New Istanbul Airport will be the most important Hub.

Originally Posted by nocturne14
So Sedat, when do you think the airport construction will be completed? It will be a miracle if they can finish that in six more months.

We haven't even talked about any testing.

Also my understanding from some is that none of the cargo, aircraft maintenance facilities have commenced construction. Is it feasible then to send back everything to the old airport while this is being constructed? 45 mins doesn't seem too bad but bad traffic probably isn't taken into account.

​​​​​

Last edited by Sedat Guzel; Mar 5, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
I can't speculate to when this airport opens, I just hope it happens sooner than later. I landed at Ataturk yesterday at midnight and the plane parked in front of General Aviation, for those of you who know where that is you must understand my frustration. I can't see how the current airport can function for another few years without creating serious comfort issues for all its users. Anywhere I look people seem to be climbing over each other, the lounge is always packed and planes are getting delayed. I also hope they have many smaller lounges at the new airport rather than one giant central one, I really enjoyed the calmness of Swiss lounge in Zurich yesterday.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah these pictures are from 2012 and not 2018, and show what Berlin Brandenburg airport looked like then and essentially now, and no, it is not yet open. I should note that all systems were in fact installed at that time, and some reportedly are still not functioning, but all testing has been completed. Showing some construction, as grand as it is, while acknowledging that no vital systems are in place, and for that matter it has already missed its first flight tests is not a good sign.
starflyergold, wrp96 and gr8pirate like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:30 am

There will be a greater THY Lounge in the main Terminal and little spots at the gates. I think the people will finde the spot they like

Originally Posted by tcmb99
I can't speculate to when this airport opens, I just hope it happens sooner than later. I landed at Ataturk yesterday at midnight and the plane parked in front of General Aviation, for those of you who know where that is you must understand my frustration. I can't see how the current airport can function for another few years without creating serious comfort issues for all its users. Anywhere I look people seem to be climbing over each other, the lounge is always packed and planes are getting delayed. I also hope they have many smaller lounges at the new airport rather than one giant central one, I really enjoyed the calmness of Swiss lounge in Zurich yesterday.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Sedat, while you’re here: please find (or take) some lounge construction pictures, we are all curious, even when skeptical of a timely finish.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Nice to see the tress are in. Good to get the priorities right.

Are the trees to remind passengers of the hundreds of thousand of cut down/destroyed: or perhaps some of the couple of million moved out of the way.

Always wondered how and where you locate 2,000,000 trees. But it's a big country
I think now we know where those mysterious gift-trees were planted: New Year 'Special Gift' - Possble Fraud email?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Yeah these pictures are from 2012 and not 2018, and show what Berlin Brandenburg airport looked like then and essentially now, and no, it is not yet open. I should note that all systems were in fact installed at that time, and some reportedly are still not functioning, but all testing has been completed. Showing some construction, as grand as it is, while acknowledging that no vital systems are in place, and for that matter it has already missed its first flight tests is not a good sign.
Is the comparison with BER really a fair one to make though? The delays which they experienced can hardly be described as par for the course or within the realm of expected delays when it comes to airport construction. That is to say, few airports in the world face problems and delays to the magnitude of BER during their construction. Surely then, one would have to wait and see for when there are serious construction failures at new IST before insinuating that it would be delayed to a similar degree as BER?

I personally think it isn't fair to say that fitting and configuring entire security and fire protection systems incorrectly such that they must be physically removed and replaced (as is what happened in BER) is a common occurrence in any construction project, let alone an airport, or indeed an airport in Turkey.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair, maybe. Apt, yes.

I and many people here have been trying to point out that every large airport project IN THE WORLD over the last 20-30 years, has had delays, even when one is talking about just a large terminal, where most of the airport infrastructure already existed, let alone an entire airport which is touted as being the biggest ever. The answers to this have been to just post lots of big pictures of a terminal building under construction and to say that it will be open the 29th of October no matter what (both by the builders/operators and by a certain poster here). The excuse that Limak will have it open on time because they need to earn money on it is a weak one, as it could mean that it is open in a way that inconveniences each and every one of the passengers that use it for months or years to come.............but it would still be open, which is a huge insult to the travelers that will be using it. This is not IST of 1999 or so, where Istanbul received 10 million passengers a year and TK had a whopping 5-6 million of those passengers. This is an airport that is supposed to easily deal with eventually 150 million passengers a year and serving a home carrier which is at the 80 million passenger a year mark, a carrier larger than BA, and many others.

So yes it is fair and apt. Do you know that all the systems are working properly yet? Of course not because THEY ARE NOT INSTALLED or even tested yet, it is now March and they say they want this opened and fully functioning at the end of October. So yes I counter a bunch of construction pictures with that of an airport that was built in perhaps the most advanced countries in the World, an airport that was touted to open in 2012, which was in fact completed, and THEN testing showed that several vital systems were faulty. Oh, and what about baggage systems? That has been the Snafu for many projects in recent years, holding things back. Again, we won't know until they are tested, and to test them they need to actually be installed and functioning, things which have not yet occurred.

My ultimate point is that while it is well and good to "rah rah" and look at the big pretty pictures of large terminal buildings, I would prefer it if everything was working and working well before they open the airport, plain and simple.
edisg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.