Selling gold status

Reply

Old Dec 5, 17, 5:12 am
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Posts: 11
Selling gold status

Hi, I wondered if anyone can help. As a Turkish platinum card holder I can upgrade 3 people to gold status for a year for 40K miles each time.
Is it against the rules of the programme to sell these? I know you can't sell reward flights, but that is different and I can't find an answer on their website.
I have miles that will expire by the end of the year, so now would be a good time to be upgrading someone.
Alisonnoonan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 17, 5:40 am
  #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Midlands, UK
Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
Posts: 555
Iím 99.9% sure this is against the rules.
Lewis42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 17, 5:47 am
  #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 12
I will be happy to take it as a gift as i can't buy it.
gr8pirate likes this.
SarfrazAshfaq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 17, 5:57 am
  #4
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Lewis42 View Post
Iím 99.9% sure this is against the rules.
lol....well that's not a large margin of uncertainty.
I might nip into the Turkish airlines office tomorrow and see if they can confirm. I'm not going to break any rules and risk my own status. I know what it cost me to achieve it in the first place. Although a quadruple status miles offer a while ago helped out
Alisonnoonan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 17, 6:05 am
  #5
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by SarfrazAshfaq View Post
I will be happy to take it as a gift as i can't buy it.
lol. If only I were rich enough that 40K miles meant nothing to me
Alisonnoonan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 17, 7:22 am
  #6
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, SPG/MR Plat, IHG Plat
Posts: 3,848
I certainly wouldn't post it on Ebay. (nor would I necessarily hand over any money to somebody selling status on Ebay!)

But you could put feelers out as to whether any friends of friends might be interested...
craigthemif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 17, 8:41 am
  #7
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Under the Cone of Silence
Programs: UA Gold; AA Gold; HH Diamond; National EE; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Posts: 1,059
Originally Posted by Alisonnoonan View Post
lol....well that's not a large margin of uncertainty.
I might nip into the Turkish airlines office tomorrow and see if they can confirm. I'm not going to break any rules and risk my own status. I know what it cost me to achieve it in the first place. Although a quadruple status miles offer a while ago helped out
Considering that it is almost certainly against the rules, I'm not sure it would be wise to inquire about it directly with TK. And I certainly wouldn't provide them with any info about you, like your name or account number if you do inquire. The last thing you'd want is to have them note something in your account, which could cause you problems if you later even legitimately use miles to gift the status to a friend/relative.
Maxwell Smart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:35 am
  #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: TK E+, RJ G
Posts: 43
Here’s an idea that I think is legit (but you’ll have, of course, to check it beforehand).
Give a friend an Elite status for 40K miles and let that person repay the same amount, i. e., transfer 40K miles into your account.

Your friend get Elite status and you get 40K miles that are valid for another 3 years.
flyerby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 17, 4:33 pm
  #9
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
Posts: 2,824
Rules say you can only swap status for family member
FFlash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:37 pm
  #10
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart View Post
Considering that it is almost certainly against the rules, I'm not sure it would be wise to inquire about it directly with TK. And I certainly wouldn't provide them with any info about you, like your name or account number if you do inquire. The last thing you'd want is to have them note something in your account, which could cause you problems if you later even legitimately use miles to gift the status to a friend/relative.
I don't see how enquiring if something is against the rules or not should penalise me. I'm asking the question to make sure I stay within the rules. I have 4 years of platinum status which I have no intention of jeopardising.
Alisonnoonan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:40 pm
  #11
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by flyerby View Post
Hereís an idea that I think is legit (but youíll have, of course, to check it beforehand).
Give a friend an Elite status for 40K miles and let that person repay the same amount, i. e., transfer 40K miles into your account.

Your friend get Elite status and you get 40K miles that are valid for another 3 years.
Interesting idea, but I would probably just spend the miles rather than do that. The elite upgrades might be useful for family in the future rather than giving them away for free just to extend some miles.
Alisonnoonan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 7:57 am
  #12
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
Rules say you can only swap status for family member
I'm not looking to swap status, I'm considering the options for using one of my upgrade vouchers that it says I can use to upgrade anyone I want to.
Alisonnoonan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 9:13 am
  #13
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Under the Cone of Silence
Programs: UA Gold; AA Gold; HH Diamond; National EE; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Posts: 1,059
Originally Posted by Alisonnoonan View Post
I don't see how enquiring if something is against the rules or not should penalise me. I'm asking the question to make sure I stay within the rules. I have 4 years of platinum status which I have no intention of jeopardising.
Logically speaking, you're correct, an inquiry should not have any effect. I'm just thinking in practical terms of what might happen due to a misunderstanding. Hypothetical example- you inquire, they say no, it's against the rules. But they've noted in your account something like 'customer was informed that selling status is against program rules'. Soon thereafter, you gift status to a friend/family member. Later some busybody at TK might deem it suspicious that you inquired about selling status, and later provided status to someone, thus launching a line of inquiry.

Again, I may be being overly cautious, but hence my comment about not providing your name, account details if/when you inquire, that's all.
Maxwell Smart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 9:24 am
  #14
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart View Post
Logically speaking, you're correct, an inquiry should not have any effect. I'm just thinking in practical terms of what might happen due to a misunderstanding. Hypothetical example- you inquire, they say no, it's against the rules. But they've noted in your account something like 'customer was informed that selling status is against program rules'. Soon thereafter, you gift status to a friend/family member. Later some busybody at TK might deem it suspicious that you inquired about selling status, and later provided status to someone, thus launching a line of inquiry.

Again, I may be being overly cautious, but hence my comment about not providing your name, account details if/when you inquire, that's all.
I get where you're coming from.

Last edited by Alisonnoonan; Dec 6, 17 at 9:57 am
Alisonnoonan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 11:08 am
  #15
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, SPG/MR Plat, IHG Plat
Posts: 3,848
Is it really worth it?

Let's say you find someone willing to pay $500 for Elite status. That barely compensates you for the 40K miles you must spend. Unless you really, truly have zero use for them and will let them expire.

OK, so let's make it $1000. Would you pay that to a random stranger in exchange for the promise of an Elite upgrade? Maybe, but probably not. So flip it around, is $1,000 enough compensation for the risk that TK audit why you gifted status to somebody whose name, address, etc. bear little resemblance to your own? Hard to say, but selling status is definitely not an approved activity, even if we're not quite sure if it is 100% prohibited.
craigthemif is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:35 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright © 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.