Wiki Posts
Search

J Meals on IST night departures to Asia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
J Meals on IST night departures to Asia

First time going east with TK, I was wondering how meals are managed for after midnight departures.
Is there a full service dinner or the service is reduced due being so late? Is the second meal a breakfast, or since the arrival is in the afternoon there is a brunch option?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
On my IST-SIN flight (2am departure) last month, the food service after departure was the shorter "supper" service also in evidence on east-bound transatlantic flights, and not the full "daytime" service offered westbound.

This being said, it was still a rather elaborate affair concluding ~2h after departure.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Full dinner + breakfast.

I'm not sure what you mean by brunch - breakfast with a hot item/dish? If yes, then you get brunch (if that is what you prefer to call it; anyway it is breakfast, fruits, cereals, bread + a hot item)
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
There's a whole bank of log-haul flights leaving at God awful early morning hours.

Every one I've taken has started with two or three hours of fussy meal service. Bogota was by far the worse - take-off delayed by a two hours, followed by a 4 a.m. dinner

The reasoning may be that most of their passengers are connecting, and so dissociated from local time.

Or maybe they don't think at all.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Thanks all

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
There's a whole bank of log-haul flights leaving at God awful early morning hours.
At least, if coming from north Europe, one can avoid the long overnight layover in this case... Better than nothing?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lefly
Thanks all

At least, if coming from north Europe, one can avoid the long overnight layover in this case... Better than nothing?
Sure, I'm not knocking the early morning departures - just the performance onboard in the hours after the departure
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
When I fly the IST-NRT late flight (now the only flight), it's always a full meal service, though I'm usually too tired to really enjoy it. Usually just end up eating enough to fill up and fall back asleep long before the service is finished. Unfortunately it's a breakfast on the other end which I personally don't care for. I'd much rather have a lunch option instead when landing in the afternoon/evening.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus

Every one I've taken has started with two or three hours of fussy meal service. Bogota was by far the worse - take-off delayed by a two hours, followed by a 4 a.m. dinner

The reasoning may be that most of their passengers are connecting, and so dissociated from local time.

Or maybe they don't think at all.
You're seriously complaining about getting full meal service? Just go to sleep if you're flying premium and don't want to dine, or fly an airline like United..........

I commend TK for always doing it right in-flight.
​​​
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rostovru
You're seriously complaining about getting full meal service?
​​​
yup

...and I thank God most airlines get it right by offering fast "supper" meals, keeping the aisle traffic and the lights down on their sleeper services.

Of course, some go too far - AA crew attempt to zap me with just a stiff drink on the red eye HNL LAX
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
I think it has more to do with the thinking that if you are flying on a full stomach you are more likely to fall asleep and be less bother.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Unfortunately it's a breakfast on the other end which I personally don't care for. I'd much rather have a lunch option instead when landing in the afternoon/evening.
The west bound going to US/Canada is much better, the second meal starts with a cold cheese/tomato plate and a choice of kofte or curry chicken.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm bumping this thread.

Flying ARN-IST-SFO and back in Business Class in two weeks. From what I've heard they've made some cutbacks in the Business Class catering, i.e no longer serving starters from the dedicated appetizer trolley. Is this true or has it only been cut from night time departures?

My last long haul Business Class flight with TK was in February flying NRT-IST which is a late evening departure. No appetizer trolley was present on that flight.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by LH4116
I'm bumping this thread.

Flying ARN-IST-SFO and back in Business Class in two weeks. From what I've heard they've made some cutbacks in the Business Class catering, i.e no longer serving starters from the dedicated appetizer trolley. Is this true or has it only been cut from night time departures?

My last long haul Business Class flight with TK was in February flying NRT-IST which is a late evening departure. No appetizer trolley was present on that flight.
Flew IST to SGN at 02:30 about a fortnight ago and there was no appetiser cart (though there was still a choice of starters to choose from and the option of soup as well). But the cart did appear on the return leg which departed 21:30. Not sure if timing was the reason.

There are pics of the appetiser cart on the TK166 IST-HAN-SGN thread which is on page 2 - see last post in that thread.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:37 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by LH4116

No appetizer trolley.

Only dessert trolley.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TPJ
No appetizer trolley.

Only dessert trolley.
Next will be everything on tray at once, appetizer mains and dessert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.