Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus
Originally Posted by airoli
About what? Were you harmed in any way?
No, but clearly OP enjoys complaining
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
If you don't like the airline's approach to safety culture, fly with another carrier

sounds like rationalisation comforting those seduced by easy top-tier membership, attractive fares and exemplary soft services.

Of course for many there's a concern that a lackadaisical approach to cabin security mirrors a wider and more worrying approach to airline safety.

While some clearly have any worries mollified by the onboard frills, the stunning lounge and free E+ upgrades: for others the worry will nag on and they voice their concern.

Treating that expression of concern with contempt is not an attractive feature in these threads.

I've spent enough time in Turkey to sort-of understand how this careless approach in interacting with passengers might develop, and I'm reasonably certain that it doesn't mean that professionalism elsewhere in the airline is compromised. That's my rationalisation process

And crew can be bolshy as well as lackadaisical. I got into a ding-dong with the (male) CSD about a grossly overweight man not strapped in for taxi and take-off. The crew member argued that the hapless man had been secured in his seat, but then brought the extension strap which allowed fiction to become truth in time for landing.

In God knows how many take-offs and landings, my fastened seat belt has not made a jot of difference to my safety. But one day it just might: and on that day I don't want a 200kg body blocking the aisle.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Purely anecdotal:

When I switched over to TK a couple of years back, I asked a friend of mine who pilots 777s for a OW airline about TK’s reputation in the industry and he said he’d heard nothing negative at all and that was a good thing because pilots loved gossip as much as anyone else.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by airoli
About what? Were you harmed in any way?

I am just amazed that people on here are so happy with rule-breaking when it comes to safety. Your safety.

I mean if you see a waiter drop food on the floor pick it up and then server it, I assume you are fine with that because you did not get food poisoning?

Accidents happen to all airlines at some point. I think TK's safety record speaks for itself. Compare that with airlines who do keep to the rules, LH, BA, AA, AY for example. All have had accidents. None have a record which you can really compare with TK.

My wish is only that TK operates as safely as possible. It blows my mind that this would be controversial.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Worcester
I am just amazed that people on here are so happy with rule-breaking when it comes to safety. Your safety.
No. I am not happy with rule-breaking when it comes to safety. And I share your wish that TK operate as safely as possible.

However, as outlined above, it is my strong sense that TK, at least in the areas visible to me, simply does not have a safety culture. Unlike LH, say, TK employees (presumably from the top down) do not seem concerned about "minor" items such as seat belts, phones off, trays up etc. at all.

I believe this is cultural, systemic, and wide-spread across the country, and that it won't change. Your "complaint" will be acknowledged and then quickly deposited in the circular file.

While I am personally willing to live with this, it is perfectly reasonable for you to be concerned about this, especially since I would not discount the possibility that the same lackadaisical approach also rules behind the cockpit door.

But it is simply not reasonable to expect that this culture will change, short of a series of major catastrophes (see Korean Air - 1980s) and resulting loss of revenue.

So you will need to vote with your conscience, and your feet. But there is no use in getting worked up about it.
Stewie Mac and Worcester like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.