Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
Just got back from the Turkey Consulate where I dropped off my passport, copies of the visa pre-application that I filled out online late last week, copies of all the documents I submitted with the pre-application, and a photo. The single entry visa fee was surprisingly high at 136 Euros, cash only. But I was glad enough to pay it.

I was told to pick up the passport in 4 hours. Yay!

Update: Two hours later, the found the passport, and visa, waiting for me at the information desk. So it appears that US citizens can definitely get visas at non-US Consulates.
Similar experience this morning in London, but was advised turnaround time is three days. The consular officer said as long as I’m not traveling directly to Turkey from the US I can get a visa on arrival, so that’s what I’m trying this afternoon.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
Originally Posted by extramileage
Glad it was a smooth traveling, but I really don't see how just being in Turkey during this diplomatic spat would impact your GE interview or your domestic travel.
Thank you. Sorry, on the GE interview and SSSS, I had seen posts here that people connecting through IST had been getting SSSS and I'm hoping me spending a week in Turkey doesn't lead to that. As far as the interview, just hoping it's not a deal that I was there (no idea, I've never done an interview like this before).
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MountainGuy
The border agent didn't even look at the visa upon entry. We commented then how it seemed it was just a $20 tax for the government.
They don't need to look at it - it's an e-visa and the moment they scan your passport it will show that you have a visa.

The only time I've needed to actually show the e-visa was when I had applied for it a few minutes earlier and it apparently hadn't yet propagated to their computer.

That said, yes, the visa is just a simple $20 ($60 for Australians!) tax. Prior to them going electronic I had a few of the on-arrival visa stickers, and when they "issued" them they didn't even look at the photo page on the passport - just the front cover to work out how much to charge, flip to a random page, and put in the sticker.

Originally Posted by MountainGuy
Thank you. Sorry, on the GE interview and SSSS, I had seen posts here that people connecting through IST had been getting SSSS and I'm hoping me spending a week in Turkey doesn't lead to that.
I haven't see anything recent on this, but a few years ago it seemed to going to Turkey twice in a relatively short period of time could lead to you getting SSSS on future flights into the US. I was one of many people who scored that, and eventually went through the DHS TRIP process to get it cleared (after being "randomly selected" for SSSS about 7 times in a row).
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:58 am

Thanks for the updates.

For those who got visas from the consulates-- did you also have to provide a copy of the entire passport? (Says so on the list of documents... which runs to 50-odd pages for me... but then the list also says they need a "TNRC police report" which doesn't seem relevant here)
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I just got the visa on arrival in Istanbul. No issues, other than confirming I didn't fly in directly from the US. When I did go to the consulate I only copied the main page of the passport, not the whole thing. Thyey seemed fine with that. I didn't end up going through with the visa there because the officer was basically like "you know you just get a visa on arrival?"
rmannion and gourmand73 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by gooseman13
I just got the visa on arrival in Istanbul. No issues, other than confirming I didn't fly in directly from the US. When I did go to the consulate I only copied the main page of the passport, not the whole thing. Thyey seemed fine with that. I didn't end up going through with the visa there because the officer was basically like "you know you just get a visa on arrival?"
Was your outbound US segment and inbound Turkey segment all on the same ticket, or do they have to be separate tickets. I have an upcoming trip to IST and a connection through LHR. I didn't get the visa before they stopped issuing them.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:51 am

US/Turkey TK Visa Travel Complications - need advice

Traveling from MIA to VCE for a cruise on Oct 18th. Party of two in same reservation. One is a USA PP, the other has a Mexican PP. Booked a two day layover in IST on the way back. ( Oct 30 ) , Others in this thread mention visa on arrival if not on a flight originating in the USA. I called the Turkish Embassy in Mexico and they emphatically stated that was not the case. There is no consulate in VCE and the USA PP holder lives in MIA.

1. TK says they will only change the US PP holders for free. I had originally called TK as soon as the political Visa issues arose and was told all members in a reservation could make changes free of charge.The Mexican PP holder would have to pay a change fee along with large change of fare fee.

2. TK says that free changes can only be made in person (impossible if you do not have a Turkish office in your city). This sounds crazy as people really do not want to leave home uncertain what there flight plans are in regard to hotels, cruises, etc.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated

Last edited by elusive1; Oct 17, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Going from MIA to VCE, given it's under 1 PNR to VCE, no problem, enjoy your cruise.

On the way back, based on the comments of previous posts, you can get visa on arrival as US citizen IF YOU ARRIVE from a NON-US destination (VCE in this case).

If this is incorrect, anyone please advise.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
Going from MIA to VCE, given it's under 1 PNR to VCE, no problem, enjoy your cruise.

On the way back, based on the comments of previous posts, you can get visa on arrival as US citizen IF YOU ARRIVE from a NON-US destination (VCE in this case).

If this is incorrect, anyone please advise.
I hope this is true. However, the Turkish Embassy in Mexico says that it is not possible. I will certainly try to find out in IST while transiting MIA-VCE tomorrow.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
From what I can see it all looks fine, but anyone with live experience doing transit through IST -- I've got xxx-IST-yyy coming soon. (UA award on TK.) Thx
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by elusive1
I hope this is true. However, the Turkish Embassy in Mexico says that it is not possible. I will certainly try to find out in IST while transiting MIA-VCE tomorrow.
This seems confirmed by this post by Enigma over on TripAdvsior who spoke to Turkish Airlines. It appears that as long as you are not on a direct flight from the US and are landing at one of the two Istanbul airports you can get a visa on arrival (it may apply to other Turkish airports but that isn't mentioned). It looks what was originally a compromise due to the desire to use points that has me transiting Amsterdam instead of a direct flight from the US might have saved me some hassle assuming this is still going early next year.

Hi Folks,

I just called Turkish Airlines Ticket Sales Office, Foreign Relations Department at Ataturk Airport (much better than calling our State Department) and asked them about the visa-on-arrival for US citizens at the airport. Here is the official answer by a Turkish Airlines Rep.

"US citizens can get a visa-on-arrival at Ataturk and Sabiha Gokcen Airports provided they do not directly come from US. Any layover in between, without any restriction on the duration of the layover, would be fine. The second or last flight must originate from a country different than US. Passengers need to show their boarding cards for their arrval flight at Istanbul. For example US citizens can use Amsterdam or Frankfurt for their short (or long) layover, if they are flying from US to Istanbul via one of these (or other) cities. From the layover city, you can fly with Turkish Airlines or any other airline".

The above is very good news for everyone except those who want to fly non stop with Turkish Airlines from US to Istanbul. However they can still use Turkish Airlines at the second leg of their flight.

High level American officials and their counterparts are negotioating this visa issue among others at Ankara today and tomorrow. If there is news on the outcome of these negotiations, I will immediately let you know.

good luck,

enigma...
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...-Istanbul.html (post 107).

Last edited by 36902BRF; Oct 17, 2017 at 8:06 pm
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:26 pm

FWIW, I spoke to the Foreign Ministry Consulate Line this week and she

1. Confirmed that a "banderole visa" (which Turkish Airlines tweeted would still be issued to US citizens coming from somewhere else) IS a visa on arrival.

2. However, they had not received any official memo about it.

She advised me to call IST, so one could hope that the info in the last post is correct.

It sounds a bit like no one wants to say anything officially, but Turkish Airlines is working behind the scenes?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:56 am

Turkey's top diplomat won't buckle to US 'impositions'
http://abcnews.go.com/International/...spute-50554825

Turkey won't buckle under U.S. "impositions," its foreign minister said Wednesday as officials from both countries met to try to resolve a diplomatic dispute that resulted in the mutual suspension of traveler visas for each other's citizens.

Speaking at a news conference with his Portuguese counterpart, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu decried what he described as Washington's "immature diplomatic approach" and criticized the effect of the "needless crisis" on Turkish citizens.

However, a Turkish official said the talks were proceeding in a "positive" manner and that representatives for both sides agreed to keep talking.

They also held "constructive" negotiations on establishing a joint committee to discuss "judiciary and security issues," according to the official.

The Turkish official discussed the meeting on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the talks.

Strained ties between the two NATO allies deepened last week after Turkish authorities detained a Turkish employee of the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul.

The U.S. halted most visa services for Turkish citizens at U.S. missions. Turkey retaliated by halting visa services in the U.S. for Americans.

Cavusoglu said Turkey's Ankara-based government supports cooperation with the U.S., but that the Turkish judiciary is independent.

The U.S. delegation arrived in Ankara Monday for talks with Turkish officials from the ministries of foreign affairs, justice and the interior.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:22 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Where is the logic?

Turkish Government is therefore asking US nationals to avoid TK and fly with competitors, instead (as no US carrier serves IST any longer).
abaheti likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:49 am

Well it was semi-expected, but since I hadn't seen anything first hand: I just confirmed that you CAN'T get an eVisa/VOA in Turkey even for transit passengers (which Turkish Airlines said were unaffected, but I'd say that's a decent impact)

I'm sitting in the Turkish Lounge in Istanbul - nice place by the way - but I'm seeing way more of it than I expected when I booked this trip a few weeks ago. I flew BOS-IST overnight and talked to several people at Ataturk Airport. The first TK Transfer Desk couldn't tell me much. The gentleman at the normal Visa on Arrival window queue just glanced at my passport and sent me to Line 32, which I guess was some type of chief immigration officer. That gentleman looked through my passport and seemed like he might be able to do something, but alas said no luck. Maybe he thought I had a prior visa (which I don't). So I headed back through International Transfers to wait the 10+ hours before my flight to HAN. I checked with the front desk at the Lounge Istanbul and they confirmed my itinerary was hotel eligible (J class, but Y would have been too), but when I explained that I couldn't get the visa to go through Border Control, he said a supervisor could approve the on airport hotel (airside rooms). One quick phone call and they claim to be full. They kept a copy of my boarding pass and said they'd let me know if anything opens up, but I'm doubtful - not to mention they'd never find me! I thought maybe they'd be flexible on the lounge's Suites given the situation - typically for layovers of 4-7 hours. I didn't fully understand why they wouldn't, but a second attendant I asked said they were run by a different (hospitality) company, so that may be part of it.

Anyways, I'm hoping this gets cleared up soon. If not, I'll try again coming back through in a few weeks. I was really hoping to get out and see some of Istanbul, which looked lovely flying in. I was going to do hotel this time and city tour on the return. However, I'll have to pick assuming I can get the eVisa coming from HAN-IST.

Does anybody know or had any luck on a US-IST-XXX-IST-US booked as one itinerary getting the VOA on the return through IST since that flight segment originated outside the US or do they still see it all as one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.