Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
I just got a confirmed appointment for mid-January in Boston. The online pre-application was a bit wonky to say the least (at least with Internet Explorer... with Firefox it was a complete disaster). Hopefully they will be forgiving if some of my information didn't go through correctly.
It's wonky indeed. I'm self employed so I had no idea what to put under proof of income (I screenshotted my checking account balance) and you can only put one document in for your ticket so I just did my outbound one. They had no trouble with this at the interview and I just handed over all the hard copies there.

Incidentally, no issues with my passport today, it was picked up by a friend of mine and is being mailed to me now with the Visa in it.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
It's wonky indeed. I'm self employed so I had no idea what to put under proof of income (I screenshotted my checking account balance) and you can only put one document in for your ticket so I just did my outbound one. They had no trouble with this at the interview and I just handed over all the hard copies there.

Incidentally, no issues with my passport today, it was picked up by a friend of mine and is being mailed to me now with the Visa in it.

incindentally:

Is the date they require you to submit as your entry to Turkey on the visa itself? I’d like to get the visa for my wife sorted out for early summer, but I’m not completely certain about the exact dates yet.

Had planned to book (without paying) a flight just so there’s something I can submit to the consulate for now, but I’m worried that the dates must be the same.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

incindentally:

Is the date they require you to submit as your entry to Turkey on the visa itself? I’d like to get the visa for my wife sorted out for early summer, but I’m not completely certain about the exact dates yet.

Had planned to book (without paying) a flight just so there’s something I can submit to the consulate for now, but I’m worried that the dates must be the same.
Passport came in the mail today. The validity of the Visa is from 12/22 (the date it was issued) until 3/22/2018. It's marked as a Single Entry, 60 Day Visa.
gr8pirate and Sinter like this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:15 pm

If I am connecting through IST, is there a transit area that does not require a Visa? As long as I do not wish to leave the airport? (American citizen here)
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Yes. if you're bused to the terminal you will stay towards the left with the blob of people once you get off the bus. I'd recommend having your transit ticket pre-printed as it will make the process smoother. If you somehow luck into a gate, there will be transit signs. You'll have access to departure lounges (if you're supposed to have access) as well as any gate side restaurants.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
My mind is boggled reading all of this.

im thinking of booking UA award travel on TK, SFO-IST-ATH next August. Business class. Only transiting IST, on the ground less than 3 hours.

1. Would you fly TK ... thru IST? (Reason, saver awards for 70K miles versus 155K miles)
2. Visa is not required for this transit scenario, correct?

Last edited by kevinsac; Dec 27, 2017 at 10:03 pm
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by kevinsac

im thinking of booking UA award travel on TK, SFO-IST-ATH next August. Business class. Only transiting IST, on the ground less than 3 hours.

1. Would you fly TK ... thru IST? (Reason, saver awards for 70K miles versus 155K miles)
1. Definitely! People watching at IST is worth it in itself and TK are great in the air. The airport really isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s no worse than LGA if we’re being honest.

2. Correct. No visa needed for an airside transit.
Sinter likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:44 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by kevinsac

1. 3 hours are bearable at IST, especially with lounge access. Getting to/from the lounge means passing through the manic zoo but no worse than other busy airports.
2. No visa for transit required.
kevinsac likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
The airport really isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s no worse than LGA if we’re being honest.
The airport is great - it's the people that are the problem!

(Not generally the people themselves, just the quantity of them!)
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:21 am
Accor 25+ Badge

The US has resumed issuing visas: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/us-...r-turks-124900

Probably only a matter of time for Turkey to do the same.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:59 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Went to check the e-visa website and it can be used by American citizens again. That was surprisingly quick.
lonelycrowd likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:03 am

I'm glad everything is better though I'm still bitter I had to spend $160 on the in person visa plus $460 on a last minute plane ticket from RDU to NYC to go get it.

Saying the spat ended right after I got to Turkey, I'm choosing to take it personally.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Gold
Good news for flyers going to Turkey. This came too late for cruisers visiting Turkey. All of the cruise lines have their 2018 sailings set and not a one goes to Istanbul or Kusadasi. Maybe the cruises will return to Turkey in 2019 if the political situation cools off.

I will be connecting in IST on TK award tickets on my way to a safari vacation in Tanzania next August. I was getting a bit concerned about changing to another airline to JRO to be sure that Turkey didn't change the rules and require visas of Americans who are just connecting at IST. I feel better, for now.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many of the cruise lines had left Istanbul and Kusadasi of their destinations far before this, as a matter of fact this was one of the reasons that Delta suspended services 25 years ago and had little to do with the situation since October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.