Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: TK Elite+ Delta Platinum Medallion
Astrophsx, the Turkish Business Lounge is one of the best in the world, and it does have a sleep/quiet area to be used. I am not sure though if it is closed between 2 and 5 am or something. I just came from there on Sunday.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Are there any sleeping options for transiting passengers flying biz with Turkish Airlines? I assume if you have a ~20 hr layover they won't allow you the sleep room in the Turkish lounge.
youre posting in the wrong thread.

check out the ‘free hotel for transit passengers’ and ‘cip Lounge Istanbul ’ threads here, your answers are covered in the headers.

in short: if arriving or departing on long haul flight AND your connection is between 4 and 7 hours AND you are flying in J (or are TK E+), you get to use the private rooms at the lounge.

The rules for the complimentary hotels are a little more complicated and well covered in the megathread.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave69NewYork
yvr1971 , the letter I read stated that you have to be residing in a country other than the U.S. and that you need to have a resident permit. However, just like 36902BRF said, rules are subject to interpretation.
Thanks all for the feedback. Looks like if we take it verbatim (and depending on source), I am still out of luck fot VOA. I have a couple of more months before my trip, so hopefully this will all be more clear by then.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:40 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dave69NewYork
I am not sure though if it is closed between 2 and 5 am or something. I just came from there on Sunday.
It is not. Open 24/7. Food limited during the night
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
youre posting in the wrong thread.

check out the ‘free hotel for transit passengers’ and ‘cip Lounge Istanbul ’ threads here, your answers are covered in the headers.

in short: if arriving or departing on long haul flight AND your connection is between 4 and 7 hours AND you are flying in J (or are TK E+), you get to use the private rooms at the lounge.

The rules for the complimentary hotels are a little more complicated and well covered in the megathread.
Seems like an okay place to me as it is within topic. I'm trying to see what others are doing who have booked 24 hr layovers are doing. I'm not sure why you'd reference the complimentary hotels as you cannot access them without a visa. I'm trying to find out what others are doing if they have no choice but to fly to IST and wait at the airport for their connecting flight.

Seems that your options are:
  • Pay for the airside hotel that charges for blocks of hours and is $170 + VAT for 6 hours and $212 + VAT for 9 hours.
  • If your layover is between 4 to 7 hours see if you can get a room within the Turkish Airlines lounge (not sure how many rooms there are or how long you can use them).
  • Try to find a place to nap/sleep within the regular area of the Turkish Airlines lounge if you have a 7+ hour layover.
  • Explore options at other Priority Pass lounges. Seems some have showers, but I don't think there are any sleeping rooms or dedicated relaxation rooms.
My issue is that I was re-accommodated by Etihad (using an ANA award) after they ended their SFO-AUH route. I am now flying SFO-IST with Turkish Airlines in business and then 22 hours later I'm flying with Etihad in business to AUH.

Trying to dig through the information, but I've been told I won't have access to the Turkish Airlines lounge. I am assuming that the Turkish Airlines arrivals lounge that I can access is an area I would need a visa for?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:19 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Trying to dig through the information, but I've been told I won't have access to the Turkish Airlines lounge. I am assuming that the Turkish Airlines arrivals lounge that I can access is an area I would need a visa for?
You are correct in both cases.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:40 pm

I guess the other option is to apply at the Turkish consulate and pay $160 for a visa. From one report on TA, it seems once you have you appointment it takes at minimum 2 weeks to get the visa and you have to either pick it up or have it mailed. That was their experience at the New York location.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:34 pm

That would work for sure (unless something changes again) as the one thing that has remained consistent so far is you have a visa you are fine. I don't know if you have looked at the application but they want a number of documents from you including proof of income and proof you have health insurance valid in Turkey among some other stuff. Really no different than what the US put a lot of folks through but it is not something I personally would do for a long layover.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Nov 22, 2017 at 3:49 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:59 pm

I guess the other option is to apply at the Turkish consulate and pay $160 for a visa. From one report on TA, it seems once you have you appointment it takes at minimum 2 weeks to get the visa and you have to either pick it up or have it mailed. That was their experience at the New York location.
It honestly varies from which Consulate you go to. Apparently the Chicago consulate does same day visa if your application is approved, though the "limited basis" statement means 10 visas a day to Americans. So if you get an appointment, you essentially get a visa there that same day. Other consulates will have varying processing times it seems like.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
My issue is that I was re-accommodated by Etihad (using an ANA award) after they ended their SFO-AUH route. I am now flying SFO-IST with Turkish Airlines in business and then 22 hours later I'm flying with Etihad in business to AUH.
Wouldn't it merely be better to talk to ANA and try to find yet another way of re-routing?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Wouldn't it merely be better to talk to ANA and try to find yet another way of re-routing?
Wish it was that easy. Right now my route is SFO-IST (23 hours later) IST-AUH with two different carriers.

I called ANA to see other routes to get from SFO-AUH. They are not willing to change the departure airport. There is a same day flight out of IST to AUH with Turkish Airlines, but they were unable to book it stating they thought it was due to a married segment. The IST-AUH shows available in their system, but they are needing to book it as SFO-IST-AUH.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Wish it was that easy. Right now my route is SFO-IST (23 hours later) IST-AUH with two different carriers.

I called ANA to see other routes to get from SFO-AUH. They are not willing to change the departure airport. There is a same day flight out of IST to AUH with Turkish Airlines, but they were unable to book it stating they thought it was due to a married segment. The IST-AUH shows available in their system, but they are needing to book it as SFO-IST-AUH.
23 hours airside without the ability to leave the airport is brutal...even if you had lounge access.

Given the price/time limit of the airside hotel, I would probably get the visa in advance, book a cheap hotel in town and enjoy the day in town.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

It sounds a bit odd to me that they would convert a SFO-AUH into a mixed-carrier SFO-IST-AUH but then be unwilling to contemplate a SFO-FRA-AUH or whatever. But I suppose they're trying to stick within award space, so maybe check back when LH open J inventory to partners?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
It sounds a bit odd to me that they would convert a SFO-AUH into a mixed-carrier SFO-IST-AUH but then be unwilling to contemplate a SFO-FRA-AUH or whatever. But I suppose they're trying to stick within award space, so maybe check back when LH open J inventory to partners?
Thanks! Not a bad idea to check back to see if LH open up J inventory.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1k, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Hello

apologies for cross posting

i am currently in the UK trying to fly to Istanbul on previously obtained e-visa as an American passport holder. However, the Turkish Airlines folks told me I can only stay airside, and Americans entering Turkey from third-countries, despite holding e-visas that are valid will still need a actual visa stamp in the passport from a Turkish Embassy/Consulate. Is this true?

If I can get on the flight, should I try for visa on landing? Would love any advice! Thanks much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.