Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:06 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SKOOBDO
Official announcement from Turkish Airlines:

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...turkey-flights
Do you have another link? This is not currently pulling up the announcement.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: DL EK QR TK
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do you have another link? This is not currently pulling up the announcement.
Does this one work?

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...turkey-flights
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:18 am
Community Director Emerita

It does on my phone but not on my computer. There it diverts to the Turkish Airline site. Odd. But thank you for your efforts.

Perhaps this link won't be transient??

https://p.turkishairlines.com/en-us/...ase/index.html
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:38 am

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing-- what are the odds of it being resolved by end of Oct. so I can get a Visa on Arrival?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by kaye
Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing-- what are the odds of it being resolved by end of Oct. so I can get a Visa on Arrival?
This is a fairly unusual in some ways unprecedented situation. The BBC is reporting that another arrest warrant has been issued for another US embassy employee which seems an escalation. My guess is that cooler heads will prevail but when who knows. I personally think resolution by late October is possible but I could easily see it dragging out beyond that. I am travelling to Turkey early next year and I am in the process of changing my plans. While I suspect this will be resolved by then I am not particularly happy with the decline in the bilateral relationship so I'll find another country to visit. Too bad as I have always wanted to visit Istanbul.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I have my printed visa in hand, but I'm due to travel to IST next Tuesday from London. Is there any confirmation at this point that US citizens holding visas will continue to be let into the country?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Nicksta
I have my printed visa in hand, but I'm due to travel to IST next Tuesday from London. Is there any confirmation at this point that US citizens holding visas will continue to be let into the country?
Several post back shows a tourist from USA gaining entrance today with evisa. Just stay tuned in for further reports. Things could change. Nobody knows.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Several post back shows a tourist from USA gaining entrance today with evisa. Just stay tuned in for further reports. Things could change. Nobody knows.
Post #14 states visa holders arriving after 10pm today are not allowed to fly to Turkey.

I'm scheduled to land in Izmir next Monday. I'm not holding my breath.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
Post #14 states visa holders arriving after 10pm today are not allowed to fly to Turkey.

That's what one airline rep told a passenger. Unless the info comes directly from a passenger gaining access, we won't know for sure. One passenger recorded that they gained entrance today. We have no reports of people being turned away.

I'm already in Turkey, but I'm following this thread and many others in case things escalate for any current US citizen in Turkey. It's too bad there's a lack of information from the US and Turkey regarding these visa suspensions. No fine details at all! Lots if folks in the dark.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme

This Washington Post article indicates that visa's on arrival will end Monday evening. Thus it *seems* if you have a visa already you should be fine (at least until the situation changes again).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.af521bf271f3

An official at Turkey’s foreign ministry said that beginning Monday evening, American citizens would be prevented from obtaining visas on arrival at Turkey’s airports.
SKOOBDO likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
My experience with respect to TK ticketing--

We had scheduled an IST stopover while enroute from USA to CAI next week. For all I know this whole issue may resolve itself in a couple of days, but I couldn't take the risk of getting into a denied boarding situation so I opted to reschedule and eliminate the stopover. I called TK reservations this morning, and they were able to move our IST-CAI flight to an earlier day, allowing us to simply remain in transit at IST. Per their announcement, it was done at no cost.

The first agent made the change, but then said there was a problem, and a supervisor will have to do the ticket reissue and I would be contacted 'after a few hours' regarding the ticket. That did NOT leave me with a warm fuzzy. I called back in a few minutes, spoke to another agent, who confirmed that everything was in order, but it would take a few hours for the ticket reissue to happen. But after she answered a couple of unrelated questions I had, she was able to check on the status of the reissue- it was done, and while I was still on the phone I received the new reissued tickets. And also was able to make new seat assignments. So at least that part appears to be working.

We paid extra to add the stopover instead of booking the direct flights, and now we're on the direct flights anyway. Doubt I have any recourse to recoup that extra money.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Presumably this would also effect TK's flight crew entering the US? And if so how would they be able to continue operations to the US at all
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
This is a fairly unusual in some ways unprecedented situation.
Not entirely unprecedented as a similar situation existed last year (or the year before) between Russia and Turkey.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
https://p.turkishairlines.com/en-us/...ase/index.html

Announcement regarding the ticket changes and refunds for Turkey-USA and USA-Turkey flights;
10/9/2017 by Turkish Airlines

Dear Passengers,

Due to the recent developments some changes have been made on Turkey-USA and USA-Turkey visa application processes. These changes do not affect passengers transferring to connecting flights in Istanbul.

Excluding passengers transferring to connecting flights in Istanbul; for all passengers holding Turkish passports flying to the USA and all passengers holding American passports flying to Turkey on Turkish Airlines and AnadoluJet Turkey-USA and USA-Turkey flights between October 9th, 2017 and October 31st, 2017, with tickets issued on or before October 9th, 2017, the following procedure can be carried out till October 31st, 2017:

For Turkish passport holder passengers:

1) Reservation changes can be made free of charge.

2) Refund requests:

a) Refunds can be issued for tickets which have not been used.

b) On tickets which have been partially used, a refund for the unused portion of the ticket can be issued.

3) Extension of ticket validity:

The validity of tickets can be extended to October 31st, 2017 (inclusive) without paying any price difference or penalty.

4) These implementations are applied to only Turkish Airlines and AnadoluJet flights.

For American passport holder passengers;

1) Reservation and route changes can be made free of charge.

2) Refund requests:

a) Refunds can be issued for tickets which have not been used.

b) On tickets which have been partially used, a refund for the unused portion of the ticket can be issued.

3) Extension of ticket validity:

The validity of tickets can be extended to October 31st, 2017 (inclusive) without paying any price difference or penalty.

4) These implementations are applied to only Turkish Airlines and AnadoluJet flights.

Regards,

Turkish Airlines
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by boosh
Not entirely unprecedented as a similar situation existed last year (or the year before) between Russia and Turkey.
Yes but they aren't as far as I know nominal allies although they are certainly getting closer. While unprecedented maybe a strong word this sort of behavior between two (supposed) allies is certainly very unusual.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Oct 9, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.